Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Buyer Questions/Advice.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I decided about a month ago to purchase a Model Y and I've been researching like crazy since that point. I've never purchased a new car before. My Current 2012 MDX was purchased for $32,000 five years ago (used) - that's the most I've ever spent so this is a huge deal for me and I don't want to make any mistakes I'll regret. I'm planning to get a midnight silver metallic with the gemini weeks (I want the 19 inch for a better ride and less chance of a flat), white interior, and a hitch.

I've been told that with the gemini wheels I can pull off the hub caps and the rims underneath look much better. True? Any idea how much range I would lose? I found a set of lug nut covers to help with this process but I can't remember where and I can't find it anymore. What do you guys recommend?

My patience paid off and now it appears they are making 2021 models. In your opinion, should I delay my order for any of the following

Unibody casting - could this happen soon? Would it increase range anyway?

Removing piano finish near cupholders. With the Model 3 refresh do you think we are close to Tesla doing away with the piano black finish?

Free supercharger miles - does that ever happen anymore?

New 4680 battery. Looks like this will be built in Berlin. Would they send the battery backs to the USA for the Model Y? Will we have to wait until they build the new batteries in the US which is likely 2-3 years away? I would gladly wait 3-6 months for the new battery technology if you guys think it could happen.

FSDM - do you you think the price will be more than $8000 when it's actually fully functional? If so, it might make sense to purchase it now as Elon seems to eventually deliver on his promises. Again, even it it takes a few more years it might be worth the $8000 now if you think the price will be jacked up when it's ready for primetime. Question - if you purchase it from the beginning does that inflate the price of the car meaning I would have to pay more sales tax?

I appreciate the help guys - I'm super excited about things and want to order NOW but also don't want to bite the bullet too soon and wish I'd waited.

You have way too many questions here.

As a good friend told me, if you want the car, buy the car. The more you sit there and analyze you will never get to a point where you're comfortable enough to purchase a new car. There will always be something new coming down the pipeline.

I waited until after the Battery day to put in my order since the new battery wouldn’t be going to the Y for at least a few years (which is the only important thing on the list of possible enhancements).
I am glad I waited since mine is coming in a week (also a 2021 model, but this is just a psychological perception, no real changes from 2020 ).

You are looking at the same configuration as I am! I will likely take delivery in the spring. I don’t need a new car just yet and I want to use my current vehicle through the winter. Here are my thoughts on your question:

Yes, some prefer the look of the Gemini wheels with the hubcaps off. Tesla offers a kit to cover the center cap and lug nuts, or you can find other options from internet retailers. I’ve seen a couple of videos of non-scientific tests done by owners and it looks like the hubcaps caps generally provide 3-4% more range at highway speeds but have negligible effect on city driving.

The single-piece rear castings are now being created, but I’m not sure when they will start showing up in new Model Ys. The lighter weight will provide an increase in range. The amount of increase is TBD.

There are enough inexpensive options for covering the piano black console to make it a non-factor in a purchase timing decision.

Regarding the new batteries, Elon said it was 2 years away in the US and they were going to test it out in Germany first. It could always come sooner, but I’m not planning on waiting for it.

The FSD for $8,000 isn’t on my radar as being worth it. The EAP add-on for $4,000 is more appealing, but still probably a no for me. As for what is taxable, that’s dependent upon your state.

I think the bottom line is that you have a really nice 8-year-old car that should easily be a solid vehicle for another 2 years. Unless you need to pull the trigger because you think the MDX is going to soon be unreliable and/or expensive repairs or maintenance is forthcoming, maybe waiting is the better path.

Of course, in two years there are going to be more exciting updates announced that are going to be another two years away so...

Well, I think that addresses all of your questions, so hope this was helpful and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not be concerned about waiting for unibody. Any difference in weight as regards range will be minimal.

Wheels are a personal preference. You can find photos of the 19" Gemini wheels with and without the Gemini aerocover wheel covers. The lug nut cover kit that Tesla sells for the Model 3 should fit the Gemini wheels. Expect to lose as much as 9% in range/efficiency for highway speed driving if you remove the aerocovers.

Tesla sometimes offer free supercharger miles (credits) , i.e. 1000 mile equivalent of supercharging to boost sales at the end of a quarter. Generally these SC credits must be used within a year of being granted. I do not believe that Tesla will offer free lifetime SuperCharging as in the past with Model S.

I've never understood why some Tesla owners obsess about the black piano finish of the center console. Personally I would leave it alone until it becomes so scratched and scuffed that you can't bear to look at it, then purchase an inexpensive kit to wrap the console in the color and finish of your choice.

Tesla has implied that the new battery cell is not slated at this time for the Model Y so there is no point in waiting.

FSD, in my opinion, over promises and under delivers. Still, it's your money so do whatever makes you happy. Personally I would not pay a dime for FSD as I would not use it. Also, with Tesla's current business model purchasing FSD is not transferable to another Tesla vehicle should you trade in your Tesla or need to replace your Tesla due to a collision/accident that totals the vehicle (at least for insurance purposes.)

FSD, in my opinion, over promises and under delivers. Still, it's your money so do whatever makes you happy. Personally I would not pay a dime for FSD as I would not use it. Also, with Tesla's current business model purchasing FSD is not transferable to another Tesla vehicle should you trade in your Tesla or need to replace your Tesla due to a collision/accident that totals the vehicle (at least for insurance purposes.)

Wow - you make a great point and made my decision a lot easier. I would be sick to my stomach if I paid out $8000 and got hit by somebody else and had to pony up another $8000 to get it again on the new Tesla. Thanks for making that point!

I think the bottom line is that you have a really nice 8-year-old car that should easily be a solid vehicle for another 2 years. Unless you need to pull the trigger because you think the MDX is going to soon be unreliable and/or expensive repairs or maintenance is forthcoming, maybe waiting is the better path.

Of course, in two years there are going to be more exciting updates announced that are going to be another two years away so...

Agreed. I would love to wait two years but I have a feeling I won't be able to wait. Part of me worries that gas prices will increase after the election and that would drive up the demand (and thus price) for Tesla's.

Is there a reason you are not considering a Model 3? My reasons for buying a Model Y are mostly for ease of entry and comfort, the higher seating position. When you get older your back and knees don't bend as easily. Getting into a low sport sedan such as the Model 3 is best done while young.

Is there a reason you are not considering a Model 3? My reasons for buying a Model Y are mostly for ease of entry and comfort, the higher seating position. When you get older your back and knees don't bend as easily. Getting into a low sport sedan such as the Model 3 is best done while young.

I have three kids and I'd like the extra room. We also have a Sequoia but it guzzles gas so I'm hoping the five of us can squeeze into this for shorter trips.

I have three kids and I'd like the extra room. We also have a Sequoia but it guzzles gas so I'm hoping the five of us can squeeze into this for shorter trips.
With three children the Model Y will be better able to accommodate everyone than a Model 3 especially as the children grow larger. Another option would be a used Model S or Model X but that just muddies the water.