Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Car - Auto Lock Does Not Work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got it yesterday. Home, playing around with it - several things were not working. It was unable to connect to my wireless (in my garage - DHCP error), the car was staying "on" and not locking the doors when I exit (I of course took the key card out and auto-lock was enabled). Did a full factory reset. Fixed the wireless issue, downloaded two updates, and we're on the current version of the firmware.

Still doesn't auto-lock.

Auto-lock is on, "tone" is on, "don't lock when home" is OFF. Exit the vehicle with the key card, close the door. No tone, no lock. Come back without the key card and the door unlocks. I don't have my phone even set up with the app yet, and didn't have it on me.

Am I missing something?

Got it yesterday. Home, playing around with it - several things were not working. It was unable to connect to my wireless (in my garage - DHCP error), the car was staying "on" and not locking the doors when I exit (I of course took the key card out and auto-lock was enabled). Did a full factory reset. Fixed the wireless issue, downloaded two updates, and we're on the current version of the firmware.

Still doesn't auto-lock.

Auto-lock is on, "tone" is on, "don't lock when home" is OFF. Exit the vehicle with the key card, close the door. No tone, no lock. Come back without the key card and the door unlocks. I don't have my phone even set up with the app yet, and didn't have it on me.

Am I missing something?
I'm not sure auto-lock works with key cards. Try using the phone app for a key.

• Informative
Reactions: CleverUsername
I did, and it is now working. Thank you.

They told me that I could use the app 24-48 hours after pickup and gave me key cards. I guess I find it odd that they gave me no means to lock my vehicle during that time.

Autolock only works with phones because it relies on the Bluetooth to detect when you walk away.

You can tap your key card to the B-pillar to both lock and unlock the vehicle.

From user manual:

Model Y communicates with your phone using Bluetooth. To authenticate your phone or use it as a key, the phone must be powered on and Bluetooth must be enabled. Keep in mind that your phone must have enough battery power to run Bluetooth and that many phones disable Bluetooth when the battery is low.4.

Ensure that Allow Mobile Access (Controls > Safety & Security > Allow Mobile Access) is enabled.5.

In the Tesla mobile app, touch PHONE KEY then touch START to search for your Model Y.

When your Model Y is detected, the mobile app asks you to tap your key card.6.

Tap the key card against the Model Y card reader on the door pillar or center console (see Key Card on page 9).When Model Y detects your key card, the mobile app confirms that your phone has been successfully authenticated.

Touch DONE

Reactions: Matsayz
Yes, if your phone has an NFC transmitter the Tesla app has the ability to communicate with the car in the same way as the key card. With the Tesla app open you can tap the phone to the B-pillar or center console.
With the Tesla app open, there is no reason to do so, and no, it does not emulate the key card.

EDIT: There is a reason to do so: if you have more than one Tesla on the account, tapping the B-pillar immediately switches the app to the car you just tapped. This avoids one having to manually swipe to the car one wants to use.

Very cool!

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: willow_hiller
With the Tesla app open, there is no reason to do so, and no, it does not emulate the key card.

It's a feature that was added in November 2019 with Tesla mobile app Version 3.10.2: Tesla App 3.10.2 Changelog : teslamotors

"You can now lock/unlock doors by tapping your phone on the B-pillar with NFC turned on"

I believe it's Android only, since the iOS firmware does not give third party apps the same access to the NFC reader. It literally emulates the key card, the service is called "TeslaCardEmulationService.java"

It's a feature that was added in November 2019 with Tesla mobile app Version 3.10.2: Tesla App 3.10.2 Changelog : teslamotors

"You can now lock/unlock doors by tapping your phone on the B-pillar with NFC turned on"

I believe it's Android only, since the iOS firmware does not give third party apps the same access to the NFC reader. It literally emulates the key card, the service is called "TeslaCardEmulationService.java"
Interesting, but I fail to see why one would use that rather than BT proximity.

EDIT: There is indeed a reason to do so: if you have more than one Tesla on the account, tapping the B-pillar immediately switches the app to the car you just tapped. This avoids one having to manually swipe to the car one wants to use.

Very cool!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
Auto lock has failed a couple of times this week The pattern I noticed was that I exited the car then opened the trunk, retrieved some things, closed the trunk and walked away. The car did not lock. Should it in this situation?

This is consistent, happening every time I open then close the trunk before walking away.

I guess I haven't really tested this; how are you confirming that your car is locked before opening the truck, unlocking when you open the truck, and remaining unlocked?

Usually when I just touch the trunk to open while my Bluetooth phone-key is active, it will unlock only the trunk (the mirrors won't unfold, and the car won't honk). So when I close the trunk, I'm assuming the rest of the vehicle was locked and remained locked. But I haven't tested.

I think you would need to:

1. Lock the car with your phone-key (walk away from the car, disable your Bluetooth, and confirm it is locked).
2. Turn Bluetooth back on, approach the car, unlock the trunk, close the trunk, and walk away.
3. Turn Bluetooth off, and check to see whether the trunk or the rest of the vehicle is locked.