Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New car collection from the delivery center - to clean or not to clean? That is the question....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gbailey

2022 Model S LR
Oct 9, 2019
Arkansas
I’m picking up my new 2020 Model S LR in Deep Blue Metallic next week from the Kansas City delivery center.

I’m undecided as to whether I should let them wash/detail it or just ask them to remove the transit protection and take it to a local detailer when I get home.

Obviously, I want to inspect it for any damage so it needs to be reasonably clean for me to sign it off.

I’m going to get the car partially wrapped with xpel locally, but wanted to avoid incurring any swirl marks and paint damage before I even take delivery of the car.

Has anyone got any direct experience of this delivery center? Thoughts?

Apologies in advance to the Kansas City Tesla Facebook group as I’ve also posted by question on their group for advice.

Thanks in advance.

Good question for me as well. I ordered on 10/20 and will have a 3rd party delivery to a place in my city. I’m curious though, you say you’re getting a 2020 Model S; is that the year designation for MS’ delivered in the 4th quarter?
Tesla reference my vehicle s a 2020 on the MVPA, most likely as the VIN when decoded carries that designation. No spec differences from a 2019 Raven as far as I’m aware.

Your car will have already been through the delivery center and prepped by the time you get it unless you ask otherwise. Problem is that asking for it not to be washed will make it hard to check for damage on receipt by you. I’m leaning towards asking them to do their normal prep.

Good question for me as well. I ordered on 10/20 and will have a 3rd party delivery to a place in my city. I’m curious though, you say you’re getting a 2020 Model S; is that the year designation for MS’ delivered in the 4th quarter?
I’ve since worked this through with the delivery center and asked them to prep my car as normal so I can at least check it out for faults and damage. From collection it’s going straight to my local detailer for any paint correction necessary before being wrapped in expel ultimate plus - pretty much everything bar the rear hatch.

My experience with Tesla delivery prep is that they are pretty good. Would not sweat them doing any finish damage that your detailer cannot handle.

Would drive Tesla crazy if every customer gave them specific instruction about prep of their cars.

Only prep issue I had with my X was that they put a tire dressing on, that flung out onto the bodywork on the freeway home. Simple to wipe off, but detailer would have wanted to use a solvent to totally clean it prior to installing film.

Most every paint film installer seems to be able to point out with glee, any imperfections they can find. Maybe done to justify their high prices to give you a showroom finish.

Enjoy your new tesla...they drive like no other.

Reactions: gbailey