Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Referral miles - transfer to new car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

I referred a friend for a new Model Y and have just received the credits in the Tesla app.

I’d like to exchange some of the credits for the 3000 Supercharger miles.

However my own lease expires early next year - are the miles associated with my account and transferable to my next car (which will be another Tesla, albeit through a work salary sacrifice scheme this time), or are the miles locked to my current car? If the latter, I’m probably best to hold off redeeming them until I take delivery of the next car.

Thanks in advance

They are locked to your account. You can even go a while without a car on the account and when you get a new car they appear again (unless expired)

I'm not sure how lease accounts work which may be different, but normally the car has to be "owned" by the account with the miles to be able to use them. If someone gives you guest/secondary driver access to a car, when you supercharge the costs and free miles are taken from the owner account, at leasat thats what happened to me when I gave a friend access for the weekend and ended up paying for their supercharge (they paid me back).

I have some fre miles now and they do expire although can be extended by buying some more. I wouldn't buy them until you need them to maximise their life, I think you have up to a year to spend your referral points.

They are locked to your account. You can even go a while without a car on the account and when you get a new car they appear again (unless expired)
That is not what Tesla told me last December when my local SC checked with the European HQ in the Netherlands so it sounds like they have since relaxed the policy.

Yes they were locked to the existing account but I was told the new Tesla had to appear on that account at the same time as the original car in order to retain my remaining SuC miles so that is what I did (...I was told that even a trade-in would not have allowed them to be retained as there would be a momentary gap in ownership and remaining miles would therefore be 'wiped').

Interesting.. I went about a 3 months without cars on my account a while back but when one was added the old credits were still there. You can’t earn new referrals without a car on the account but that’s more understandable. I’d be surprised if it’s changed, I’d be surprised if Tesla staff in Europe know and they preferred to play it safe, but equally I could believe anything with Tesla.

This thread suggest's they do transfer:
Albeit an old thread.

I wonder if there's a difference between referral credits and supercharger miles being transferred. i.e. it might be better not to cash in the referral credits until you get your new car.

.I was told that even a trade-in would not have allowed them to be retained as there would be a momentary gap in ownership and remaining miles would therefore be 'wiped'

Anything is possible - its software after all .. AND Tesla :) but for a trade in your new car will be on the account before the old one goes ... and will be paid for before the old one goes ... so seems like that would be enough. But!.

I'd be surprised if a trade in lost you any free miles - thats against their desire to get you to buy a new car. The simplest things can put people off and the loss of say 1000 supercharging miles worth may £70 would be enough for some.

I had in excess of 6000 remaining at the time and also sold the Model 3 privately for a significantly better price than Tesla would give but it was annoying having to hang onto it for a month longer than necessary (less than 500 miles remaining now until expiry in May so I have made good use of them during the past year).

Thanks all. The wisest choice perhaps seems to be to wait until I’ve got the new car before cashing in the referral credits. (Hoping that the referral credits themselves aren’t wiped and that Tesla don’t pull the referral scheme!)