Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New car issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What State are you in?

Here is California Lemon Law

https://www.dca.ca.gov/acp/pdf_files/englemn.pdf

Who said anything about rattles? TPMS is considered a Safety issue.... no?

Yes, I have read the CA Lemon law, many times.

Your right, a TPMS sensor that reads 0 instead of 45psi is "likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven". /s Yes, yes there are other ways that a TPMS sensor could POSSIBLY invoke it being a Lemon, but do you realistically believe that it wouldn't get fixed within the constraints of the CA lemon law.

And the OP mentioned rattles.

Reactions: SO16
Just tried chat, it sits there and hangs. "We’re connecting you with a Tesla expert…"

The TPMS issue is an actual safety issue. I'm driving along at 70 and all of a sudden an alarm sounds, red light pops up on screen, tire pressure shows 0. Did I run over something? How could a tire go from full to zero in seconds, but steering was unaffected?
I quickly debated pulling over right on the side of the freeway vs waiting a minute, and sure enough the tire pressure showed as 46, with the recorded error still present.

If I brought the car for N times for a TPMS issue and they were unable to resolve, you bet it would be a lemon law case.

My biggest concern is whether or not something was rushed in assembly and getting this car out the door.
I shouldn't have to crawl under a $42k car to diagnose it myself (though of course I'm capable).
I washed it this morning and noticed loose sounding clips or plugs along the underside on the passenger side.

Reactions: russelljohnson
Yes, I have read the CA Lemon law, many times.

Your right, a TPMS sensor that reads 0 instead of 45psi is "likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven". /s Yes, yes there are other ways that a TPMS sensor could POSSIBLY invoke it being a Lemon, but do you realistically believe that it wouldn't get fixed within the constraints of the CA lemon law.

And the OP mentioned rattles.

The OP mentioned rattles, I mentioned not to worry that if anything goes wrong with the car without a Fix you can lemon it.... that includes TPMS..... and it doesnt matter what I realistically think, if they can’t get it fixed then it’s lemon.....

Just tried chat, it sits there and hangs. "We’re connecting you with a Tesla expert…"

The TPMS issue is an actual safety issue. I'm driving along at 70 and all of a sudden an alarm sounds, red light pops up on screen, tire pressure shows 0. Did I run over something? How could a tire go from full to zero in seconds, but steering was unaffected?
I quickly debated pulling over right on the side of the freeway vs waiting a minute, and sure enough the tire pressure showed as 46, with the recorded error still present.

If I brought the car for N times for a TPMS issue and they were unable to resolve, you bet it would be a lemon law case.

My biggest concern is whether or not something was rushed in assembly and getting this car out the door.
I shouldn't have to crawl under a $42k car to diagnose it myself (though of course I'm capable).
I washed it this morning and noticed loose sounding clips or plugs along the underside on the passenger side.

Your right, you should return the car. If a false alarm is a safety issue to you then you are going to complain about all kinds of things...
ELDA alarming because you "didn't even go over the line yet"
TACC phantom braking
NoAP aborting a lane change even when no one is around
NoAP/AP not handling a merge lane appropriately
Auto wipers not wiping appropriately affecting visibility

etc, etc...I'm not trying to be an a-hole, I'm really not, and I do see scenarios where a TPMS sensor not being fixed after x attempts could possibly invoke the lemon law, but I would love to see any examples of something similar to that caused a manufacturer to buy back a vehicle. I do understand your frustration, I just don't agree with the perceived severity of your listed issues.

That's not the chat hanging, it's you waiting in the queue for an agent. Try again and give it some time. There was another thread recently where people were waiting 30 minutes or longer, but eventually connected. Yeah, it's a pain to wait, but it's better than being on the phone and I've found it's the quickest way to get a hold of someone outside of driving to a service center.

Thanks @MountainJedi , that was a helpful post.
Anyway, took me 2 days but I finally reached someone on chat. He got me a service appointment in Berkeley (didn't know there was a service center there) on Friday so we'll see what they say. I also did a full detail and ceramic coating so I really don't want to have to return it, hoping it's a simple fix.

Haven't found a thread that specifically deals with this topic so I'll start my own.

So far I have:
  • rattles under the car (day 1).
  • front right TPMS suddenly showed up as 0 psi, scaring the beejeezus out of me, then went back to 45psi (day 2). I did a TPMS reset but haven't driven it much since.
I'm not sure what the right way of addressing these issues is, but wasting my time driving to a service center shouldn't be it.
I used the "request help" via the owner's portal, and received no reply.
Suggestions?

These are the things that will bring down a JD Power initial quality score, and you'd think they would care about that.
Btw JD Powers is a BS score driven by money, and worthless surveys.

I really wish people would stop yelling "LEMON LAW LEMON LAW" for stuff like this. Please show me any reasonable interpretation or realistic scenario where a possibly faulty TPMS sensor or a rattle(not because of a critical part falling off) would apply within a Lemon Law.

Yes you can come up with a wild unlikely chain of events, I'm not looking for wild conspiracy theories.
People are so so quick to yell lemon law, but in reality true lemon law buy backs are rare.

I worked service for 6-7 years at highline stores in Cali, I think I saw one real lemon law, and we fixed it the 4th time the car came in. Turned out to be a random plastic pipe in the intake that would leak under boost and would only set a MIL under certain atmospheric conditions.

We did have the Armos that would get three air bag warning lights in a day and take them to three different dealers in the same day but that was a scam

Your tire pressure was not at 0. it was at 45. We saw an issue with low pressure alerts in the past for some reason but it hasn't been posted about recently. The difference is yours reads 45 and the past issue was the alert being displayed at 44 or 43 - the alert threshold was too narrow.

If a software bug and a rattle already has you thinking of returning the car, then do it. This isn't the car for you. It's an always evolving, changing (for better or worse) mobile phone on wheels.

People are so so quick to yell lemon law, but in reality true lemon law buy backs are rare.

I worked service for 6-7 years at highline stores in Cali, I think I saw one real lemon law, and we fixed it the 4th time the car came in. Turned out to be a random plastic pipe in the intake that would leak under boost and would only set a MIL under certain atmospheric conditions.

We did have the Armos that would get three air bag warning lights in a day and take them to three different dealers in the same day but that was a scam
My last car was a lemon and Ford bought it back without much of a fight, and I have been tempted to try to lemon my Tesla. 45 days out of the first 70 it was in the shop, and I have been into service several times fixing all the stuff that they broke while it was in service... I love the car but I'm tired of all the rattles and service visits. I don't think it's going to last as long as I had hoped.

Haven't found a thread that specifically deals with this topic so I'll start my own.

So far I have:
  • rattles under the car (day 1).
  • front right TPMS suddenly showed up as 0 psi, scaring the beejeezus out of me, then went back to 45psi (day 2). I did a TPMS reset but haven't driven it much since.
I'm not sure what the right way of addressing these issues is, but wasting my time driving to a service center shouldn't be it.
I used the "request help" via the owner's portal, and received no reply.
Suggestions?

These are the things that will bring down a JD Power initial quality score, and you'd think they would care about that.
If this happened to me the day I picked up my car I would be right back to the service center. Have them look at it and see if it could be addressed then and if it’s ok to drive.

Last edited:
We saw an issue with low pressure alerts in the past for some reason but it hasn't been posted about recently. The difference is yours reads 45 and the past issue was the alert being displayed at 44 or 43 - the alert threshold was too narrow..

FWIW mine (latest SW) still does weird pressure alerts where it tells me one tire is low even when it's the same PSI as the others.

Yesterday was a really special one- told me left front was low at 42 PSI and shown in yellow.

The other 3 tires shown in black with no warning displayed... 41 psi. Lower than the "low" tire.

Only does this kinda thing maybe once every few weeks, but it looks pretty stupid when it happens.

• Informative
Reactions: N5329K
My last car was a lemon and Ford bought it back without much of a fight, and I have been tempted to try to lemon my Tesla. 45 days out of the first 70 it was in the shop, and I have been into service several times fixing all the stuff that they broke while it was in service... I love the car but I'm tired of all the rattles and service visits. I don't think it's going to last as long as I had hoped.
Not sure what ford does to prevent lemons but The high line manufacturers I worked for would hold the car on the 3rd visit for the same safety issue make sure it was fixed. Tech would fix it, then it would go to the lead tech, then to the service manager.

Did everything we could to prevent a buyback

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Not sure what ford does to prevent lemons but The high line manufacturers I worked for would hold the car on the 3rd visit for the same safety issue make sure it was fixed. Tech would fix it, then it would go to the lead tech, then to the service manager.

Did everything we could to prevent a buyback
Can fix a poor design, Every time the transmission was fixed with some new part it continued to fail. They had people driving around with the transmission sounding like a garbage disposal, and issues a TSB at one point that said this is "normal" until they came up some some failed attempt to fix them.

Back to the topic at hand...

Drove to the Berkeley service center today, which is oddly hard to find. The address is on Gilman St but the Tesla side of the building is on the other side of the lot, took me three passes to figure out where to go. The entrance is actually on 8th Street.

Anyway. Pulled in, waited 10 mins or so for an adviser, she says "you're a little early, your appointment is for July 12".
I explained the situation and they got a tech to come for a ride with me.
He heard the rattles, agrees there's an issue, and will do his best to take a quick look but they only have 3 lifts and they are all occupied.

Side note - I'm also now getting a buzzing/vibration from the driver's side B pillar.