Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEW MX has several issues; Unethical Business Practice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, I am new to this community. Sorry for the cross-posting, if similar things have been posted by other users.

Can a company release and deliver a defective vehicle to customers? It seems to me that the following is Tesla's business model: anyway deliver the vehicle (even if it is a defective vehicle; I don't think Tesla tests or quality checks vehicles before delivery) and fix it later by giving customers a 4-yr warranty. And then after 4 yrs, it will be customers' out-of-pocket money for the repair.

It is an unreasonable and unethical business practice. Customer service is nearly impossible to reach out and no email communication is possible. WHAT CAN I DO?

I have a new MX delivered in June, 2023. Within the past 30 days, I have been experiencing several issues such as window Grrr noise, vibrating side mirrors, and malfunctioning passenger seat (doesn't move). Some of these issues are still ongoing, unfortunately.

I am not going to mention about the bad feelings, disappointment, frustration, wasted time, energy, etc... Because you know my feelings. The new vehicle shouldn't have these problems. But, from reading others' postings, it seems it is quite common to experience these (or even more serious issues) among the new MX owners, although it should not be that common.

I truly hope it will not happen again to me but It is possible that I would experience even more serious issues (falcon wing problem, screen failure, and more...) because I believe that my MX is a defective vehicle with defective parts used (a technician proved to me where the problems lay). I mentioned this to one of the staff at the service center, but they don't care about it.

I am so frustrated. WHAT ACTION CAN I TAKE?

First, I am new to this community. Sorry for the cross-posting, if similar things have been posted by other users.

Can a company release and deliver a defective vehicle to customers? It seems to me that the following is Tesla's business model: anyway deliver the vehicle (even if it is a defective vehicle; I don't think Tesla tests or quality checks vehicles before delivery) and fix it later by giving customers a 4-yr warranty. And then after 4 yrs, it will be customers' out-of-pocket money for the repair.

It is an unreasonable and unethical business practice. Customer service is nearly impossible to reach out and no email communication is possible. WHAT CAN I DO?

I have a new MX delivered in June, 2023. Within the past 30 days, I have been experiencing several issues such as window Grrr noise, vibrating side mirrors, and malfunctioning passenger seat (doesn't move). Some of these issues are still ongoing, unfortunately.

I am not going to mention about the bad feelings, disappointment, frustration, wasted time, energy, etc... Because you know my feelings. The new vehicle shouldn't have these problems. But, from reading others' postings, it seems it is quite common to experience these (or even more serious issues) among the new MX owners, although it should not be that common.

I truly hope it will not happen again to me but It is possible that I would experience even more serious issues (falcon wing problem, screen failure, and more...) because I believe that my MX is a defective vehicle with defective parts used (a technician proved to me where the problems lay). I mentioned this to one of the staff at the service center, but they don't care about it.

I am so frustrated. WHAT ACTION CAN I TAKE?
Have you attempted to get any of those issues fixed? Like opened a service request from your phone?

Have you attempted to get any of those issues fixed? Like opened a service request from your phone?
Yes, they fixed some of the issues. Some repairing issue is still ongoing. The problem though is they try to fix it without knowing its root cause and thus make me schedule multiple appointments. I am so afraid of facing new hidden and unknown issues! I am being so anxious. Why do customers have to have anxiety after purchasing a new $$$K product?

All of the mentioned problems seem to be solvable by SC, though it may take several tries as typical Tesla qualities. Unfortunately, finding a live person who can be reached and also can address your issue is quite hard in Tesla if not impossible, your experience is not uncommon but it doesn't mean you have a lemon and never-ending problems in the future. Once the initial build quality issues are addressed, it should be relatively reliable. Tesla is no Lexus and $$$ does not translate to build quality, so we all learn to adjust our expectations.

Reactions: Bigriver
You can be aware of your state's lemon laws so that you can take advantage of them if the need and/or desire arise. I agree that you will most likely ultimately have a relatively reliable vehicle if your service center is decent and you are patient, but that isn't guaranteed, so knowing your options and the criteria to those options is advisable.

Keep in mind the lemon resolution process is the absolute last line of defense. I know most people are like "lemon!" because it's a familiar trope, but by the time a situation hits lemon territory, everybody is a gigantic loser. Lawyers salivate at lemons because they make money. But automakers and customers hate hate hate to suffer the lemon process.

Being said, @AlexThePilot shared this email address that you should attempt to contact to figure out a path forward.

(email address removed per owner's request)​

But here's the kicker. When you contact this email address, keep your email SHORT, SUCCINCT, and FACT BASED.

Put in the first few lines of the email what resolution you want this resolutions team to explore. If you simply want the service center to address an issue, make that clear. If you want your car transferred to another service center, make that clear. If you feel your car is unsafe to operate and a resolution involves a new vehicle, make that clear.

Keep your narrative / verbatim simple and COMPLETELY FACT BASED. Do not say stuff about how "maybe this or maybe that." Say unequivocally what was broken, what repairs were attempted, and what remains broken. And state very clearly how many days of service your brand new car has endured.

If you find yourself typing the word "possible" or "perhaps" then hit ctrl + z because you effed up. Stay with the facts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to ask: How may cars have you owned?

(Disclaimer: you may have a car with issues, but the issues you have described are minor - albeit annoying)

But: you mentioned that possible problems might occur to a single service center employee - who didn't care.
I'm with the service center employee, all day.
Your problems are minor and easily fixed, put in the request, let it happen. Try another service center if you have annoyed the current one, and be patient.

Not saying it's fun, some car's can suck, some customers can suck.
Also, the sound of your post rings that you overbought (i.e. cost of repairs when out of warranty when only days into ownership))

All of the mentioned problems seem to be solvable by SC, though it may take several tries as typical Tesla qualities. Unfortunately, finding a live person who can be reached and also can address your issue is quite hard in Tesla if not impossible, your experience is not uncommon but it doesn't mean you have a lemon and never-ending problems in the future. Once the initial build quality issues are addressed, it should be relatively reliable. Tesla is no Lexus and $$$ does not translate to build quality, so we all learn to adjust our expectations.
Thank you for your thoughts. I HOPE the vehicle to be more reliable after the repair.

Keep in mind the lemon resolution process is the absolute last line of defense. I know most people are like "lemon!" because it's a familiar trope, but by the time a situation hits lemon territory, everybody is a gigantic loser. Lawyers salivate at lemons because they make money. But automakers and customers hate hate hate to suffer the lemon process.

Being said, @AlexThePilot shared this email address that you should attempt to contact to figure out a path forward.

(email removed at owner's request)​

But here's the kicker. When you contact this email address, keep your email SHORT, SUCCINCT, and FACT BASED.

Put in the first few lines of the email what resolution you want this resolutions team to explore. If you simply want the service center to address an issue, make that clear. If you want your car transferred to another service center, make that clear. If you feel your car is unsafe to operate and a resolution involves a new vehicle, make that clear.

Keep your narrative / verbatim simple and COMPLETELY FACT BASED. Do not say stuff about how "maybe this or maybe that." Say unequivocally what was broken, what repairs were attempted, and what remains broken. And state very clearly how many days of service your brand new car has endured.

If you find yourself typing the word "possible" or "perhaps" then hit ctrl + z because you effed up. Stay with the facts.
Thank you for the helpful information.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to ask: How may cars have you owned?

(Disclaimer: you may have a car with issues, but the issues you have described are minor - albeit annoying)

But: you mentioned that possible problems might occur to a single service center employee - who didn't care.
I'm with the service center employee, all day.
Your problems are minor and easily fixed, put in the request, let it happen. Try another service center if you have annoyed the current one, and be patient.

Not saying it's fun, some car's can suck, some customers can suck.
Also, the sound of your post rings that you overbought (i.e. cost of repairs when out of warranty when only days into ownership))
I am not arguing but what is your point? I have owned 9 (including this MX then 10) with all different brands. I understand that the issues I have had are maybe minor compared to others with more serious issues.

But I don't care if the issues are minor or major, but care why new customers have to get through all these with a new product.

Reactions: jiehan
Honestly, nothing major from your description. Sounds like a typical tesla. Every car manufacturers will have problems with their new cars. The world is not perfect. I care more about what do they do to fix it. There are surveys to give consumers a general idea on how different brands and models perform. You could also be very unlucky and got a car with many problems. I definitely would not put tesla high up on the build quality list just because their Model X is priced 6 figure. Build quality and problem free is likely not their main focus. If you care about build quality that much. Stick with Porsche or Lexus is usually a much safer bet.

Mate you should try owning a Landrover, on balance the customer service is great. On the negatives, you see way the **** more of it than you ever wanted - its a real ownership of love thing to have one...

We have had 2, both bought used, and they have been extremely reliable, and service has always been good. Much, much better all around than Tesla. Plus, when they are out of warranty, I have found them easy to DIY.

Last edited: