Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Chrysler E-Rev (ENVI)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bloomberg.com: News

"One of the three models will be on sale in 2010, Chrysler said"

Which one I wonder?

"To try to quell skepticism about its electric vehicles, the company decided to put 100 prototypes in test fleets.
... Chrysler will give governments, utilities and companies vehicles beginning in 2009 to test in real-world conditions."

Bloomberg.com: Worldwide

"Chrysler wouldn't say which of the three prototypes would reach showrooms in 2010"

Is it a race? Do they know but won't say? Are they hedging their bets in case one or more don't work out?

I'd put my money on the Lotodge if I were a betting guy, which I'm not. The amount of battery it would take to get the Jeep or "mini"-van 40 miles down the road would price the vehicle way out of its segment. At least with the sports car they can get away with charging a bit of $$$.
Besides that, I seriously have my doubts about Chrysler pulling off e-rev architecture in that time-frame. It's not as easy as one might think. I'm pretty sure the vehicles they display were all-electric and if you noticed, nobody opened a hood on the Jeep or minivan.

Sorry my bet is on the minivan. Sports car has to be created from scratch and that is a big no way no how. And Chrysler has already indicated and the under the floor storage in the minivan is an ideal place to put all the batteries. So that is my bet. One thing you are overlooking about the Jeep is that it is a very light vehicle so that might be a good bet as well. And many Jeep owners are very GREEN conscious and like to protect the environment despite 4WD taking more gas. Remember TREAD LIGHTLY !?!?!?!?

So I am guessing:
1. Minivan
2. Jeep
3. Sports car

And I think both 1 and 2 will come in 2010.

Sorry my bet is on the minivan. Sports car has to be created from scratch and that is a big no way no how. And Chrysler has already indicated and the under the floor storage in the minivan is an ideal place to put all the batteries. So that is my bet. One thing you are overlooking about the Jeep is that it is a very light vehicle so that might be a good bet as well. And many Jeep owners are very GREEN conscious and like to protect the environment despite 4WD taking more gas. Remember TREAD LIGHTLY !?!?!?!?

So I am guessing:
1. Minivan
2. Jeep
3. Sports car

And I think both 1 and 2 will come in 2010.

I agree with all of this. The minivan makes the most sense for many reasons, and the Jeep may be the best use of hub motors I have yet seen.

However, I can envision an scenario where the dark horse of the sports car still may come out ahead:

If we go on the premise that Chrysler intends to produce all 3, we just don't know which order. They probably will have difficulty producing any of the 3 in any numbers by 2010, so the sports car may still win. They can outsource production of that to Lotus, stick it in the show rooms in very low numbers to show "See we can do electric too! Look at this sports car! Sign up for our electric minivan we can get to you by 2012... or have you looked at this nice gas engine minivan we can sell you today..."

Because the sports car has very little to do with Chrysler other than the Dodge logo pasted over the Lotus, it may win in the race of which comes first even if they don't really intend to sell many/any of them. It keeps them relevant and buys some time to produce their other offerings.

I agree that I think the minivan makes the most sense for them to produce, though.

My take on this is that Chrysler hasn't made up their minds. The minivan would appeal to the masses, but it might be so expensive that the sports car would be all they could really sell (the Tesla business plan).

Why make an announcement if they haven't made up their minds? I got to see the unveiling live, and near the end they made a pitch for the $25 billion "bailout". With GM's announcement of the Volt and government money in play, they had to make an announcement - even if they weren't prepared.

Hub motors: I don't believe it.

The minivan makes the most sense for many reasons, and the Jeep may be the best use of hub motors I have yet seen.

I remain skeptical that the Jeep they showed had hub motors, or that the first production model they make based on it will have hub motors. My reading between the lines is that hub motors are something they want to do, not something they've figured out yet.

Mitsubishi and GM have both experimented with hub motors, and both found out it was more difficult than they expected.

Remember the PML Mini? They announced it, they gave us the specs, and it sounded great -- sounded like the problems were all solved. Then something like a year later they came back and announced that they were expecting to get their prototype running "real soon now" on a test track. My reaction: Huh? You mean you hadn't even got it working a year ago when you first told us about it?

If PML can get away with that sort of bait-and-switch, I wouldn't put it past Chrysler either. A PHEV with hub motors would be a highly sophisticated vehicle, and it seems very unlikely for them to roll out in the short term.

I think that you are all missing a very important point, and that is that Chrysler will probably no longer be in business in 2010. If you take some time to look at the financial states of Chrysler, GM (for example, total equity = negative 57 billion, market cap = 2.77 billion, would you lend this company money?), and Ford, I think that you will see that it is highly unlikely that any of them will still be functional companies 2 years from now. The brands may still exist in one form or another, but they will be owned by companies such as Magna, or Tata, or Onex ( Onex Corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ), bought up at bargain basement prices as the "big 3" desperately attempt to raise cash to stay afloat.

Who knows what the new owners of the brands will choose to do with them? One thing is for sure though, and that is there will be dramatic changes to any current plans that Chrysler, Ford, and GM have. Maybe they will even be for the better...

All the best,

Chris H.

I have heard they have been in talks for 90 days and that the seems imminent. I am not sure of the source but I believe it was the Detroit News. I could very well be wrong on that one so maybe I shouldn't even mention it ... oops too late :rolleyes: did I say that out loud ?!?!?!

Let's see... it's been in the NYT, CNN Money, the Globe & Mail ....

GM, Chrysler discuss merger or business swap talks - source - Oct. 11, 2008

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/13/business/13auto.html?_r=1&ref=business&oref=slogin

reportonbusiness.com: globeinvestor.com - Crisis at Detroit Three drives industry rethink

The story broke on Friday night. GM & Chrysler were reported to have been in talks for 30 days. The talks have been suspended due to the recent financial crisis. Apparently GM also approached Ford prior to approaching Chrysler, but was rebuffed. Most analysts think that that a merger at this point would be a bad idea...

ATB,

Chris

Chrysler is currently 80% owned by Cerberus Capital Management. Cerberus also owns 51% of GMAC. Essentially Cerberus would like to exchange their stake in Chrysler for the remaining 49% of GMAC that they do not own. At least that's my understanding of the deal at this point.

BTW, Cerberus bought their 80% stake in Chrysler for $7.4 billion in May 2007, now they are prepared to trade it for less than half of a company that is worth approximately $3 billion... What does that tell you?

Chrysler is currently 80% owned by Cerberus Capital Management. Cerberus also owns 51% of GMAC. Essentially Cerberus would like to exchange their stake in Chrysler for the remaining 49% of GMAC that they do not own. At least that's my understanding of the deal at this point.

BTW, Cerberus bought their 80% stake in Chrysler for $7.4 billion in May 2007, now they are prepared to trade it for less than half of a company that is worth approximately $3 billion... What does that tell you?

Tells me one more company got burned toying with Chrysler. GM should stay put... Granted these rumors make its stock price spike for the day, in the long haul, what does GM get besides more overhead?

Hard Times for Chrysler, General Motors, Tesla and U.S. Automakers - Hybrds, Electric Vehicles - thedailygreen.com
It would have been unthinkable as little as a year ago, but now it's all about the cash. GM, which lost $18.8 billion in the first six months of 2008, has $21 billion of it left on hand. With car sales in the basement, the company could run through that by the end of the second quarter.

Chrysler bid for cool last month was no less than three proposed EVs.

Chrysler's big asset right now is not its SUV-heavy product line: It's $11 billion in cash. GM's share price dipped below $5 in the wild flailings of the last week, and its market capitalization fell to a marginal $3.6 billion.