Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Computer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my 2019 Model 3 (LR RWD, trouble free 14k miles on it) has been at the local service center since Monday morning. Although it shows running the current software, its been continually trying to update for weeks, but fails. They haven’t been able to figure out what’s wrong, but now tell me they are going put a whole new computer in. Anyone heard of that before? Anybody think there’s a chance I will get HW 3.0 as my car Is 2.5 even though it was an April 2019 build..?

If you didn’t pay for FSD the answer I’m sure will be No. If you did, from what I understand is is your VIN on the update list yet and the part available?

HW3 is needed for FSD for the faster processing times needed. If you haven’t purchased FSD your car will be fine without it.

And yes I have heard on here about the MCU being replaced. Doesn’t seem to happen often.

It comes standard in every tesla for 9 months(?) now whether you buy FSD or not.

True on new cars built after a certain date in 2019, so buyers of new cars won’t have this issue. I think it was in April 2019 that Elon said cars coming off the line would have the newer hardware. Always annoying to be on the wrong end of the cusp of part/design changes. Someone looking for a new car will have the hardware “available” to use FSD. His as he said was not in that later build group so has HW2.5. I’m in same boat with HW2.5 but did buy the upgrade although I’m still waiting for the install.

Not everyone will care to have FSD and use it so I suspect a number of cars will stay on HW2.5 and anyone looking to pick up a used Model 3 should be aware of the installed HW version and decide if it’s important to them. Can always upgrade to HW3 but will have the lag time getting the part changed out. Still a wait line at this point.

Last edited:
t
cannot imagine they would put a hw2.5 computer in now. Seems a pretty sure bet at this point as FSD/HW3 is now the standard part. Just got it installed yesterday myself, but for the normal reasons.
They have plenty of 2.5s available to put in since they have been upgrading people. Why would they use a new part when they have refurbished parts lying around? (or at least parts to refurbish lying around)

In a Model 3 the MCU and AP computers are one unit. So if they replace one they replace both. (In the S&X they are completely separate.)

This, I did not know, thanks for sharing. I knew that the MCU and AP computers were separate, but I didnt know in a model 3 they were both basically on the same circuit board so had to be replaced together.

As for this OPs question /shrug... possible OP might get HW3 but its also likely he would get a refurbished version of the HW in his car now. Thats all hes basically "entitled" to (hw matching the version that came with his car). If they dont have it, or want to for some reason put the newer version in there, its possible, but not something one could "stump" for... unless you paid for FSD, then you would almost assuredly get the newer computer.

This, I did not know, thanks for sharing. I knew that the MCU and AP computers were separate, but I didnt know in a model 3 they were both basically on the same circuit board so had to be replaced together.

They are still separate circuit boards, even with an external cable connecting items between the two, but they are sandwiched together inside the same enclosure with a liquid cooled heat sink between them. So it is possible to replace just the MCU board, but Tesla doesn't break down modules in the field, they replace whole units. (An exception to that is replacing the screen and cellular card in S&X MCUs are sometimes done without replacing the whole MCU.)

I just heard from the service center. I asked if the new computer would have HW 3.0. I was told no, they are replacing it with a newer version of the 2.5. He said if I want 3.0 I have to purchase FSD and then wait in line for the new one. I was thinking they would switch now since they will eventually be doing it...but nope, FSD folks first in line. So, if I go ahead and purchase FSD they will swap the computer out again!

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
So my 2019 Model 3 (LR RWD, trouble free 14k miles on it) has been at the local service center since Monday morning. Although it shows running the current software, its been continually trying to update for weeks, but fails. They haven’t been able to figure out what’s wrong, but now tell me they are going put a whole new computer in. Anyone heard of that before? Anybody think there’s a chance I will get HW 3.0 as my car Is 2.5 even though it was an April 2019 build..?

Do you have FSD? If so you'll definitely get the new HW3. If not it probably depends on what they have in stock. If they still have some old HW2.5 computers then you might get like for like since you don't need HW3 unless you have FSD.

They are still separate circuit boards, even with an external cable connecting items between the two, but they are sandwiched together inside the same enclosure with a liquid cooled heat sink between them. So it is possible to replace just the MCU board, but Tesla doesn't break down modules in the field, they replace whole units. (An exception to that is replacing the screen and cellular card in S&X MCUs are sometimes done without replacing the whole MCU.)
Yep. I just got my HW3 upgrade and they replaced both the AP computer AND the MCU. You can tell because both the bluetooth and the WiFi module changed MAC address (i.e., to my router and my phone it appeared as a new, different device than it was before the upgrade). Also it came with an old version of the navigation data (2019.6) and had to re-download the newest (2019.20) when I got home.