Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Construction Install Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The roof is about 5000 sq ft. Almost the entire south facing roof is PV (8.2 kW). A little bit is on east (2.1 kW) and west (2.1 kW) facing. A small amount is north facing (1.2 kW). Estimated first year production is 15595 kWh. We don’t have PTO and we won’t be moving in for a few more months to give you any real world numbers yet though. I hope this helps.

The remaining east-west roof space had no attic access and we didn't want conduits and electrical boxes outside the house. The remaining roof is all north facing so it wasn't really worth it. I wish we did 2 more Powerwalls and had whole home back up but we decided against it for now due to how much more that was going to cost. We plan on doing it in a year if Tesla allows buying Powerwalls separately again. Thanks! Yes, we are very excited. It will be a big upgrade from the 150 year old house we currently live in.

Reactions: cobra
@Markm287

I'm also in PA [30 min north of Philadelphia], and have been contemplating installation of Solar Roof. This would be a replacement roof on a house similar to yours in terms of size/roof complexity. I see you referenced the "fun" of dealing with Tesla on this. Given all that you know now, would you do it all over again? I am at the very first stages of the process, so can still jump out if the journey ahead is not worth the travel...

Beautiful house btw!

Reactions: cobra
@Markm287

I'm also in PA [30 min north of Philadelphia], and have been contemplating installation of Solar Roof. This would be a replacement roof on a house similar to yours in terms of size/roof complexity. I see you referenced the "fun" of dealing with Tesla on this. Given all that you know now, would you do it all over again? I am at the very first stages of the process, so can still jump out if the journey ahead is not worth the travel...

Beautiful house btw!
We really wanted solar but don’t like the look of panels and our HOA doesn’t allow panels so this was our only option. We are happy with the final product although we already need them to come out to service the Powerwall. We would do it again but probably not at the prices I’m seeing on this forum lately. I would say the coordination of new construction was the worst part of it but for replacement I think it would have been slightly less frustrating.

Thanks! We are excited to finally be moving in the house in a couple of weeks.

@Markm287

It's been about half a year since the roof was installed. I'm reaching out since I'm close to pulling the trigger on starting a home construction project myself, with the solar roof & powerwalls (if I can get them). In the short time you've owned the roof & powerwalls, have there been any issues that would steer you in another direction, if you had to do it over again, or post-installation problems that have been a hassle? I've already seen your comments about the logistical issues during construction, and dealing with Tesla.

Thanks!

We really wanted solar but don’t like the look of panels and our HOA doesn’t allow panels so this was our only option. We are happy with the final product although we already need them to come out to service the Powerwall. We would do it again but probably not at the prices I’m seeing on this forum lately. I would say the coordination of new construction was the worst part of it but for replacement I think it would have been slightly less frustrating.

Thanks! We are excited to finally be moving in the house in a couple of weeks.
Thanks for all the updates on your project. Would you happen to know, and be willing to share the price differential of a new install vs an installation on an existing home and/or be willing to let me know who your builder was. I know Tesla automatically quotes for removing the old roof. Do you know if that's the only differential. I'm doing a research paper on the feasibility of semi-custom home builders offering their roofing as an option and having a difficult time getting this information from Tesla directly.