Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Door Handle Fix Sequence....At Least I Think It Was

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been dealing with a nonoperative handle for about a month. The door handle presents itself, no puddle light and is inoperative opening the door. When it was in prefailure mode it would greet me in the AM with an open passenger door.
I tried the soft reset with both the touch screen and dash CPU. I tried pulling fuses, and so did my Service Center. Still no go.With no door handle part in sight, I figured what the hell I might as well try again. I removed the charging cable from the car. This time I pulled both the 10 Amp fuses and the two five amp fuse under them(F41,F32.F49,F40) I waited 10 minutes between replacing them and did it three times. After the third time, the stubborn door handle still did not light up or work. At this point I figured I had nothing to lose so I GENTLY and SLOWLY pushed the handle back into the door. Something clicked and the light came on and the handle worked perfectly when I locked and unlocked the car.:biggrin: Feeling very smug I sat down in the the driver seat and noticed that the dash controls did not light up and the car was inoperable, uh oh:cursing: Two soft resets of the dash CPU brought it back to life and I thought all was good. Not yet. The driver side door handle then failed to open the door.:scared: I gently pushed it in figuring the same trick would work. Nope, it just sat in the retracted position with the puddle light on. Back to the fuse box, this time I left out pulling F49 as I did not like when the dash CPU did not come back to life. I only did one round and everything returned to normal with all four door handles working properly.

I think the take home lesson is to gently push in a nonoperative handle. There maybe a latency period right after the fuses are removed and replaced when the handle can be reset, or I just got lucky. Troubleshooting this reminded me of fixing my Macbook when it is being temperamental, certainly no car I have owned ever behaved this way.

I have been dealing with a nonoperative handle for about a month. The door handle presents itself, no puddle light and is inoperative opening the door. When it was in prefailure mode it would greet me in the AM with an open passenger door.
I tried the soft reset with both the touch screen and dash CPU. I tried pulling fuses, and so did my Service Center. Still no go.With no door handle part in sight, I figured what the hell I might as well try again. I removed the charging cable from the car. This time I pulled both the 10 Amp fuses and the two five amp fuse under them(F41,F32.F49,F40) I waited 10 minutes between replacing them and did it three times. After the third time, the stubborn door handle still did not light up or work. At this point I figured I had nothing to lose so I GENTLY and SLOWLY pushed the handle back into the door. Something clicked and the light came on and the handle worked perfectly when I locked and unlocked the car.:biggrin: Feeling very smug I sat down in the the driver seat and noticed that the dash controls did not light up and the car was inoperable, uh oh:cursing: Two soft resets of the dash CPU brought it back to life and I thought all was good. Not yet. The driver side door handle then failed to open the door.:scared: I gently pushed it in figuring the same trick would work. Nope, it just sat in the retracted position with the puddle light on. Back to the fuse box, this time I left out pulling F49 as I did not like when the dash CPU did not come back to life. I only did one round and everything returned to normal with all four door handles working properly.

I think the take home lesson is to gently push in a nonoperative handle. There maybe a latency period right after the fuses are removed and replaced when the handle can be reset, or I just got lucky. Troubleshooting this reminded me of fixing my Macbook when it is being temperamental, certainly no car I have owned ever behaved this way.

Have you experienced this again yet? I just had a rear door handle fail me, doesn't autopresent itself, all the other 3 work just fine. First failure like this for me but I've only had the car for a week.

Have you experienced this again yet? I just had a rear door handle fail me, doesn't autopresent itself, all the other 3 work just fine. First failure like this for me but I've only had the car for a week.

First the tire and now the door handle? That sucks. Hang in there. Hopefully they will sort it all out. I fell lucky not to have had any serious issues yet. The guys at the Dania Beach store told me that the door handles are the most complex part in the car. More complex than the motor assembly. Crazy.

I've had a door handle with this behavior... presents, but no light, and doesn't open the door. And -- to make matters more odd -- I just left it a few days, it starts working again; then a few days of not working; etc.

So my advice is just leave it.

First the tire and now the door handle? That sucks. Hang in there. Hopefully they will sort it all out. I fell lucky not to have had any serious issues yet. The guys at the Dania Beach store told me that the door handles are the most complex part in the car. More complex than the motor assembly. Crazy.

So not ever being the shy one, I decided to take matters into my own hands with some help of this forum of course. Read the tech issues sticky, went into the garage, pulled open the frunk plastic that hides the fuses and pulled two 10a fuses that control the door handles. Plugged them back in and whola, door handles are good as new! :)

Had the issue today, the door handle not coming in. Stop a the service center, and they look at the fuse, and confirm this was not the problem.The handle was declare dead...
Coming back home, I tried "GENTLY and SLOWLY pushed the handle back into the door".

Lock and unlock the car twice, and the handle is working again... Hope this is fix for good.

I had problems with handles also.
- Back handles stopped working and blew a fuse. New fuses blew when inserted. This was corrected by replacing one of the back handle mechanisms. The technician was able to find a handle that he was confident had a problem.
- Front handles would present themselves, but not light up or unlock. One of these was fixed by removing and reinserting the appropriate fuse. The other one worked intermittently and was ultimately fixed (I hope) by also replacing the door handle mechanism.

Post #7 above

- Back handles stopped working and blew a fuse. New fuses blew when inserted. This was corrected by replacing one of the back handle mechanisms. The technician was able to find a handle that he was confident had a problem.

I have the same problem.
I guess just check each rear door mechanism for short.

How to troubleshoot

How to replace

Also, when I do buy a new door mechanism, is "Gen 3" the latest, with the hall sensor?

Brian

Last edited:
To summarize the troubleshooting video (YouTube is excellent, but time consuming), if you have a persistent short that always blows a fuse (F40 for 2013 MS)...
You should see 12 volts across the two tabs of the F40 fuse, with a multimeter.
Remove one wiring harness from one of the door handles. If you no longer see 12 volts at the fuse, replace the fuse. The other rear door handle should present itself. You now know which door handle is defective.
I would suggest, as extra unneeded precaution, that you roll down the front window, so you can still get in the car, just in case.
In the video, he replaced the circuit board of the door mechanism, and it fixed the problem.