Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New driver profile somehow became the default profile??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M3

The default driver profile in my car, the one that you can't delete from Driver Profile Settings and shows a partial email address has been "John" for the 5 years I've owned my car. Today, I created a new profile with Create Profile for my son in law so he could help drive during a Thanksgiving road trip. Somehow, the new profile "Tom", has now become the undeleteable "default" profile, and the old "John" profile is now deletable. After this happened, when unlocked with my phone, the seat position etc. was set to the "Tom" position, not mine. I fixed that by going, to Controls > Locks and reassociating the "John" profile with my phone (which was how it has been for 5 years). This behavior is clearly a bug. I can find no way to undo this ridiculous situation. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks. I was afraid of something like that. I've never created a cloud profile before. Does a created "Cloud Profile" become the "default" profile for the car? Having created the cloud profile, will I be able to delete "Tom"?

You should be able to delete the extra profile once the cloud is set as your main profile. I recommend also creating a second "guest" profile so technicians or anyone else you let drive your car won't accidentally mess with your profile's settings.

You can set the default profile for each phone key using the Controls > Locks screen. However, I’ve found that the setting doesn’t always stick, and I have to do that again.

For example, in my new Model S I initially used my cloud profile to transfer settings but then created a new local profile and made that the default. Every once in a while the car will go back to the cloud profile, and I have to relink my key with the local profile. I’m the only driver, so the problem is not caused by using other profiles.