Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Edmunds Track Test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Acceleration
0-30 (sec): 2.1 (2.4 w/ TC off)
0-45 (sec): 3.1 (3.6 w/ TC off)
0-60 (sec): 4.4 (5.2 w/ TC off)
0-60 with 1-ft Rollout (sec): 4.1 (4.9 w/ TC off)
0-75 (sec): 6.1 (7.4 w/ TC off)
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1/4-Mile (sec @ mph): 12.6 @ 108.4 (13.7 @ 98.7 w/ TC off)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I always said the Stig could not match the amazing TC on the Roadster. Does this also not show that the human is worse than a computer operated electric motor? Is old paradigm or ego here?[/FONT]

I don't think your comment is off track at all, tdiggity. Noise level in a vehicle is one of many components important to its performance. A question or two, though: how much noise (hee hee) is in the data? With any vehicle, noise level will be a function, inter alia, of engine, tire tread, air pressure, ambient wind, road surface.... I'm going to suggest a 1dB difference between a 6-GT and a T-S may be well within error bars.

That said, sure love that "36.4 dB" at idle!!!! Wow.

Tangent warning. Following this led me to the bunches of other entries for their long term test. Many are very short, but it's about 90% "This is awesome!" and 10% "This niggle bugged me". Overall, their impressions are extremely positive.

Did you notice the difference in performance between the S with the performance + and the standard S we all have?

Standard S
Braking
30-0 (ft): 28
60-0 (ft): 113

Handling
Slalom (mph): 63.6
Skid Pad Lateral Acceleration (g): 0.87 (0.85 w/ TC on)

Performance+
Braking
30-0 (ft): 27
60-0 (ft): 108
Handling
Slalom (mph): 66.8 (66.0 w/TC off)
Skid Pad Lateral Acceleration (g): 0.86 (0.86 w/TC on)

That's quite a difference. Sucks for us!

Did you notice the difference in performance between the S with the performance + and the standard S we all have?

Standard S
Braking
30-0 (ft): 28
60-0 (ft): 113

Handling
Slalom (mph): 63.6
Skid Pad Lateral Acceleration (g): 0.87 (0.85 w/ TC on)

Performance+
Braking
30-0 (ft): 27
60-0 (ft): 108
Handling
Slalom (mph): 66.8 (66.0 w/TC off)
Skid Pad Lateral Acceleration (g): 0.86 (0.86 w/TC on)

That's quite a difference. Sucks for us!

Well a lot of that could just be Michelin vs. Continental tires. I bet your numbers would be almost identical with 265 rear Michelin Pilots on a regular performance. The slalom seems to be the only thing that might really be improved. Even temperature differential can it exibit a measurable amount.

Tangent warning. Following this led me to the bunches of other entries for their long term test. Many are very short, but it's about 90% "This is awesome!" and 10% "This niggle bugged me". Overall, their impressions are extremely positive.

Yes, I've been following them since they got the car. Their biggest complaint was from their senior editor who was doing a rant against having to reboot a car. Made me LoL :)

By and large, I get the impression they really like the car, but will ding it for occasional bugginess, and issues with build quality. Both are deserved criticisms, but my sense is that they are not going to make a big deal out of it, beyond possibly saying they plan on keeping a close eye on it to see if Tesla improves in the future.

Of course, that assumes that the car continues to be basically reliable from a mechanical standpoint. If they get a sense that the car breaks down a lot it will be game over, and they will say its awesome to drive, but suffers from major quality problems.

I'm really waiting on Consumer Reports. They haven't done an update on their long term tester in awhile, which makes me fear they might have encountered a problem and are getting their reporting ducks in a row before picking a fight with Elon. Hopefully not, but I was expecting something from them weeks ago.

...I'm really waiting on Consumer Reports. They haven't done an update on their long term tester in awhile, which makes me fear they might have encountered a problem and are getting their reporting ducks in a row before picking a fight with Elon. Hopefully not, but I was expecting something from them weeks ago.

A lot of people here stop posting when they get their car.

from Consumer Reports "Our 13 favorite green cars for Earth Day" (in case you can't get through chambo622's twitter link)

"We're nearly finishing testing the Tesla Model S, a revolutionary car that could change your mind about what an electric car can and can't do. We don't have final numbers yet, but our testers have found the car exhilarating to drive, while being very practical and efficient."

I would say that is pretty good.

I'm really waiting on Consumer Reports. They haven't done an update on their long term tester in awhile, which makes me fear they might have encountered a problem and are getting their reporting ducks in a row before picking a fight with Elon. Hopefully not, but I was expecting something from them weeks ago.

There have been a ton of updates, are you looking in the right place? Most are fairly snarky and nit-picky compared to how they've treated other LT cars, I've noticed.