Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New EU requirement for E cars to make noise at low speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want the JAWS theme, starting out orchestral, and
only becoming threatening & percussive if the moron,
I mean pedestrian, doesn't get out of the way.

Drat if it won't jump to location, manually go to 1:05.

hi,
unfortunately, the sound is horrible!!!
check it out
I ordered a M3P august 30 but i wondering after hearing that if i am not. going to cancel the order.

One of the reason i ordered an ev was to drive in silence...

• Funny
Reactions: Dan84 and KenC
That reverse whine, and that forward grinding , JDZEEEZ!!! No!

I suppose it's nothing a pair of wire cutters and the right resistor in-line can't bring to a more civilized level.

Or as a nice little Arduino project, run the signal into an I/O and play a sound of your choice off a little SD card. Jaws is still in the cards. Or just a recording from Apocalypse Now, and enjoy watching them scatter, hit the ground etc.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: KenC
Might be better to remove the speaker entirely so
we can argue it was stolen ... to make a boombox.
Or upgrade it to a tiny little "higher fidelity" tweeter?
Or drive over a curb and crush it?

The need is legit, it's just the implementation that's
over the top. I think we'll figure something out.

Or go back to how it's been done since the dawn of
cars: use that horn!

Reactions: cucubits
Being stuck today behind clueless pedestrian walking in the middle of the lane in a parking lot for the umpteenth time, I wouldn't mind the warning sound. I don't understand why it has a different noise going forward vs backwards - does it matter which direction a 2 ton vehicle is going to hit you?

Got a horn? Not to worry, an Over The Air update will probably deliver the warning noises to all of us, since, as you know, all Teslas are hardware-complete. Hardware 3.x may come with a bigger better speaker.

As to Reverse vs Forward sounds, I think it's tradition. As it is, it's mild compared to the usual garbage truck. But I just discovered how much more road noise I hear with the rear seats down. So, if you keep your rear seats down to prevent the exploratory smash'n grab, the noise will probably be more annoying. Price to pay.