Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New feature: Autosteer Stop Light Warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with this feedback. I would like the warning to happen sooner. it needs to happen when the driver would normally safely decelerate. Hopefully, future updates will do this. I also would love it if the car display actually showed a traffic light icon so that we could see what the car sees. It would be so much more useful to know what the car is seeing. If anything, it could give us more confidence as Tesla refines traffic light detection.

I disagree... This is an "urgent warning--slam on the brakes" safety feature. It shouldn't go off often enough that folks are hearing it often (or before they might normally start breaking) and it shouldn't be something that inadvertently encourages folks to pay less attention to the road since they can always "just brake when it beeps." Until it is extremely reliable, It needs to function like AEB in terms of timing, not like the lane change advice on NOA.

It seems like the 2019.8.3 version has widespread problems on AP2.0 vehicles -- it displays the "camera visibility limited" message, and lane change, blindspot, and NOA don't work. Does anyone (including Tesla) have a solution to this problem?

It seems like the 2019.8.3 version has widespread problems on AP2.0 vehicles -- it displays the "camera visibility limited" message, and lane change, blindspot, and NOA don't work. Does anyone (including Tesla) have a solution to this problem?
What is the build date of your car? We have an AP2 car from March 2017 and we don't have any problems with 2019.8.3.

• Informative
Reactions: Engr
When the public realizes that Tesla never really had a demand or profit issue, the FUD will come here in desperation (already here I see). Many dismissing the technology here - quick to judge, impatient, or FUD just warming up to the next in the Pareto chart of "Things that will wipe out the existing auto industry"?

Just saying...

Unless you are talking of AP1 which has basically regressed since that accident. :)

Anyway my point was there has been no giant leaps with Autopilot or even Tesla in general that have come to fruition.

That's not really true. When I first got my car, I was horrified at how bad the lane keeping was on CA-17 — so much so that I concluded that the AutoSteer code was probably in maintenance mode, and that they were doing just enough patching to fix critical bugs while working on something significantly better. A few months later, firmware 9 came out, which was a major rewrite of the neural net support code with major performance improvements that dramatically improved lane keeping.

That's not really true. When I first got my car, I was horrified at how bad the lane keeping was on CA-17 — so much so that I concluded that the AutoSteer code was probably in maintenance mode, and that they were doing just enough patching to fix critical bugs while working on something significantly better. A few months later, firmware 9 came out, which was a major rewrite of the neural net support code with major performance improvements that dramatically improved lane keeping.

I don’t share your experience there. As someone looking at AP2 from the start the improvements have been there but very much gradual.

I don’t share your experience there. As someone looking at AP2 from the start the improvements have been there but very much gradual.

Before the update, I am certain that a trip on CA-17 in AP mode would not have been survivable. Now, I average only one or two disengagements per trip (versus one or two engagements per mile prior to version 9). It made AutoPilot actually usable for me.

Of course, it still can't handle Old Santa Cruz Highway. :)

Before the update, I am certain that a trip on CA-17 in AP mode would not have been survivable. Now, I average only one or two disengagements per trip (versus one or two engagements per mile prior to version 9). It made AutoPilot actually usable for me.

Of course, it still can't handle Old Santa Cruz Highway. :)

I get your thinking. It is just that for me it has been a constant two steps forward, one or two steps backwards for the past couple of years, and I really haven’t felt any leaps. YMMV of course.