Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New gen latches

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was under the impression that the new door latches that made the operation and opening and closing smoother on the MX was for the front doors and the falcon wing doors. Tesla told me that gen 2 latches are only for the front doors. They told me that the falcon wing door latches are still the same from 2016 - 2018. They have never changed. Is that true?

If this is true, then how come the 2017 - 2018 MX owners say that their FWD operate better if the latches are still the same as the 2016?

That's true. Only front two latches have changed.

Anything MX owners say is purely anecdotal anyway. If anything software updates applied on all cars improved FWD capability. We saw this when the door open/close time decreased significantly on ALL CARS.

I was just at the dealer this past Saturday and was told that for 2017 and 2018 they were upgraded to electromechanical parts, instead of hydraulic ones, and revised the engineering design of the Falcon Wing doors per a lawsuit. So my question is, are 2016 owners having theirs replaced via warranty?

I was just at the dealer this past Saturday and was told that for 2017 and 2018 they were upgraded to electromechanical parts, instead of hydraulic ones, and revised the engineering design of the Falcon Wing doors per a lawsuit. So my question is, are 2016 owners having theirs replaced via warranty?
The doors were redesigned away from hydraulic before the first cars were delivered. This was one of the sources of delay in getting the cars out the door.

They probably heard about the change in design and assumed it was the cause of the improvements in the door's operation, but the two are unrelated.

Reactions: dragonxt