Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Grill Design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
shaking my head.

Sorry, didn't notice it was his first post and missed your post.
Let me buffer my post by saying that I think we all appreciate new ideas, but a "retro" grill that was a necessity for an internal combustion vehicle then it's something we'd gladly leave in the past. We have seen some pretty interesting grill designs out there (search for a thread about a year old on the subject) that take advantage of the fact that we do not need air flowing through a grill to cool a radiator. It actually allows for quite a lot of creativity that was never possible in an ICE vehicle before.

Sorry, didn't notice it was his first post and missed your post.
Let me buffer my post by saying that I think we all appreciate new ideas, but a "retro" grill that was a necessity for an internal combustion vehicle then it's something we'd gladly leave in the past. We have seen some pretty interesting grill designs out there (search for a thread about a year old on the subject) that take advantage of the fact that we do not need air flowing through a grill to cool a radiator. It actually allows for quite a lot of creativity that was never possible in an ICE vehicle before.

:) nicely done.

(Guys, guys, guys ... his FIRST post! Manners!)

Andyeung, welcome to TMC. It's a bit of a rough crowd, but they all mean well. :)

True, and no offence meant to Andyeung, but he specifically asked us what we think of the design. And the overwhelming majority seems to dislike it.
Add me to the "no thank you" crowd. Imho that grille looks too ICE, and too Ford Mondeo...

.. We have seen some pretty interesting grill designs out there (search for a thread about a year old on the subject) that take advantage of the fact that we do not need air flowing through a grill to cool a radiator..

I remember that thread from Dec 2012 and contributed some hand-drawn (ie, not 3D rendered) ideas for 'fake grills' and front end mods. I realise air flow into a grill is not needed, and keeping the Cd low is important, but I really like my mod #3 below that removes the gaping chrome surround.

Peoples views may have changed now that there are about 30,000 MS's out in the wild, but here's the original artwork again :-

Alternativefrontexps.jpg

The original prototype had an understated grill and vents. I can understand why Tesla went for a more distinctive look, but it wasn't a popular decision when they changed it.

View attachment 39741

Alpha Hits the Road | Blog | Tesla Motors

I've never seen that design but I'm thankful Tesla build it.

No offense intended but in the age of Photoshop everybody's become a designer. But none of us is as good as Franz. I'm thankful for his very creative and graceful eye.

Last edited:
The original prototype had an understated grill and vents. I can understand why Tesla went for a more distinctive look, but it wasn't a popular decision when they changed it.

View attachment 39741

Alpha Hits the Road | Blog | Tesla Motors

I always thought that design change was required due to some regulation about having replaceable bumpers or something like that? I don't remember where I read that but I was always under the impression that was the reason... And a similar question to this, does anyone know why the sigs had that two piece nose cone that stuck out a few inches ? Same reasoning?