Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Heads Up Display for Model Y / 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like the integration, but they didn't mention ventilation and how it is affected by the instrument cluster... also, I don't want a giant seam in the middle of my dash. Worse yet, it has limited functionality when compared to other instrument cluster options.

Keith
Yeah, that seam looks awful. Only there because of shipping. Also, the UI is still too 'cheap electronics' for me but hopefully, for owners, they can improve that with updates.

I was excited until I saw the thumbnail of the video that showed an in-dash display just like every other car not named Tesla.

I wonder who will come out with the first holographic 3-D HUD (as opposed to windshield projection), the kind you see depicted in sci-fis and video games. The technology is already here though probably not yet miniaturized, and prohibitively expensive. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's Tesla. :cool:
And people today are complaining about being distracted having to press buttons on a screen! God help them if they have 3D images forcing them to drive off the road!

I'm a millennial and I don't use voice commands in cars. Especially for repeated tasks, I don't want to be constantly telling my car "defrost on", "defrost off", defrost on", defrost off". If you can make an HVAC change quicker in a car with your voice, then your hands, there's something wrong with the layout of the car.
It takes me about a second to swipe up and press defrost with about half that time spent on looking for the button, so to answer your question, no you cant do VC quicker...but it is far easier...also why would you be constantly telling your car on/off/on/off...if you need defrost then you would only be telling it to turn on...if you used VC of course!

• Disagree
Reactions: mangrove79
It takes me about a second to swipe up and press defrost with about half that time spent on looking for the button, so to answer your question, no you cant do VC quicker...but it is far easier...also why would you be constantly telling your car on/off/on/off...if you need defrost then you would only be telling it to turn on...if you used VC of course!
Depending on the outside temp, the windshield can fog up, then the defroster works and I switch back to vents. Then a few mins later the windshield may fog up again so I would need to turn the defroster on again.

Reactions: mangrove79
Heck no...
First, screwing together the dash halves is a real bad idea. Cheap looking. Look to RPM Tesla for how to do dash replacements right, and in 1 piece.

Second, this whole rig is as good as the engineering quality of the display. It just looks bad. Throw the whole dash out if the screen fails? Makes no sense.

Last edited:
Depending on the outside temp, the windshield can fog up, then the defroster works and I switch back to vents. Then a few mins later the windshield may fog up again so I would need to turn the defroster on again.
Exactly! I haven't lived in that many states, but the ones I did live in this happens very often in certain parts of the year. But apparently, it never happens in TX, where all you need to do is turn on defrost once regardless of whether a trip is one mile or one hundred miles, and you just leave the damn thing on. 😆

Reactions: Kairide
And people today are complaining about being distracted having to press buttons on a screen! God help them if they have 3D images forcing them to drive off the road!
What you're saying is exactly what people said about self-driving cars, and still saying. God forbid cars driving themselves! But here we're, every carmaker will have self-driving capabilities in the next 20 years.

The whole point of HUD is that you don't have to press buttons and you don't have to look away. You keep your eyes out front where it's the safest. LOL. Of course, I'm not advocating displaying anything that's distracting. Like every good feature, it needs to be carefully thought out, but I think technology will inevitably lead us that way, just a matter of time.

Just wait until you have to replace your windshield if it's cracked beyond repair. On some to many cars it's really expensive to replace HUD embedded windshields.
HUDs arent embedded in a windshield. They're projected onto the windshield from a hole in the dash.

Re HUDs...I don't get what it is I am supposed to constantly need to know? It takes me literally 50 milliseconds to glance to see my speed (all that I can think of that I need to know...but not constantly!). I'd rather that than something constantly in my line of sight.
They're not easy to appreciate until you have one. There's a reason fighter jets have had them for decades... it allows you to keep your eyes on the road and not have to glance down at all. Your eyes dont have to change focus from far to near. I guess to each their own, but they're great!

The Prius's shows range, throttle position, and speed. Also pop-ups for navigation, speed limit changes, and alerts like "BRAKE!" etc.

Attachments

• hud.jpg
    hud.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
As others have stated, this is not a HUD.

However, having had a true HUD in both my BMW and Prius Prime, I am all for them. I like to have my speed posted more directly in my line of sight and especially like the convenience of simple directions right there as I need to turn or make some other navigation decision. Other info. too like calls and music choices can be added if desired. I actually swore I’d never own another car without. Guess my oath isn’t worth much 😀.

As for windshield replacement with a HUD, I needed to do this with my BMW and, yes it was costly. Though, I also currently need to have my Tesla windshield replaced and it is on order (another story). The cost is quite similar.

These are, in fact, the only two cars I have had that needed windshield replacements and are definitely the most expensive cars I have ever owned. Coincidence?

Adding the option of a HUD, would make the MY an even better car….IMHO.

Reactions: Tha_Ape
I don't care about 3D... I just want to see a HUD (built in or portable) that's actually collimated at infinity like a proper aviation HUD, instead of at windshield or front bumper distance. The change in focal distance is harder than the change in location.

MiL has a Mazda CX3 with a little pop-up HUD. Unfortunately not only am I tall enough that I can't actually look through it out the windshield, but it's focused at mid hood distance or so. A simple LCD display would have been a lot cheaper.

For the most part you're correct. But over the weekend while driving my S I found myself having to switch the climate control between vents and front defroster multiple times in a small span while driving on the highway. The front windshield fogs up, then clears, then fogs up and clears. The same thing happens in my truck, but in my truck I can just turn the knob between vents and defrost without looking. In the S, since it's all touch and not even haptic feedback, you have to look at every touch. The new UI made it even more difficult to quickly tap to get the defroster up.
Wait, what!!
There is a defroster option some where in the climate control option?🤣🤣

HUDs arent embedded in a windshield. They're projected onto the windshield from a hole in the dash.

They're not easy to appreciate until you have one. There's a reason fighter jets have had them for decades... it allows you to keep your eyes on the road and not have to glance down at all. Your eyes dont have to change focus from far to near. I guess to each their own, but they're great!

The Prius's shows range, throttle position, and speed. Also pop-ups for navigation, speed limit changes, and alerts like "BRAKE!" etc.
HUDs do project on the windshield, but he is correct, the windshields are normally special for cars that come equipped with them, and they are much more expensive than standard windshields. It may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer but I know for sure there are at least 2 manufacturers that have a special windshield to go with the HUD option.

HUDs do project on the windshield, but he is correct, the windshields are normally special for cars that come equipped with them, and they are much more expensive than standard windshields. It may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer but I know for sure there are at least 2 manufacturers that have a special windshield to go with the HUD option.
I seriously doubt Toyota is one of them

The good part is the design of this thing looks very oem-ish.

The bad is:
  1. even though it has a port of updating, Tesla updates can brick this thing and I'm guessing there's no guaranteed software support period like cell phones for example.
  2. it's expensive. Seems like a lot of cash for redundant information. Would have more value if it displayed info the stock screen didn't have.
  3. it impedes airflow of the vent system which is one of the best designed aspects of the 3/Y
For me, the sum of the negatives outweigh any positives.