Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New install / How to get system to show on Tesla App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Super basic question. I was not home for most of install. How do I get my solar powerwall system to show up on Tesla app? (I have a model 3 on app already and when I swipe over still just shows ad for solar etc)
I know the installer had my gf enter our WiFi password on his tablet and I do see system connected to home network. Today I am running system test off grid and I can view power flow / batt state of charge by connecting my phone directly to the Tesla Gateway 2’s WiFi
I did find an online form to fill out on Tesla’s website “Product Registration : Enable Tesla mobil App access”
I filled that out so is it now just a matter of patiently waiting for it to show up on my app?

Not sure of correct name for it but the thin black box connected to your router ?
Yea it showed both red indicators for a day no ethernet and no signal
Suddenly started showing it had ethernet for no apparent reason but It has never shown a signal
I read that the solar flow data depends on this gateway ... So I'm wondering if it's because I haven't received PTO yet that's why mine doesn't show. Of course it still doesn't answer why my solar PV not generating any.... I gave up for the day and shut all that stuff off and waiting for inspection within the week hopefully.

I read that the solar flow data depends on this gateway ... So I'm wondering if it's because I haven't received PTO yet that's why mine doesn't show. Of course it still doesn't answer why my solar PV not generating any.... I gave up for the day and shut all that stuff off and waiting for inspection within the week hopefully.

The little black zigbee gateway is only used by the tesla app for a solar only install. With a powerwall install the solar production is reported by the large tesla energy gateway.

• Informative
Reactions: Electrph
The little black zigbee gateway is only used by the tesla app for a solar only install. With a powerwall install the solar production is reported by the large tesla energy gateway.
Thanks for that reply. I suspected that was answer based on reading yours and other posts but did not want to give bad info.
So to be clear if we have solar / powerwalls no point in having zigbee gateway connected to router correct?

So to be clear if we have solar / powerwalls no point in having zigbee gateway connected to router correct?

That is kind of a complicated question. As far as the tesla app goes, you will see no difference whether the zigbee gateway is connected or not. However it is believed that tesla can get some additional info about the inverters on the back end if it is connected, which could be useful for troubleshooting any problems. Someone also mentioned that the inverters can get firmware updates through the zigbee gateway. Additionally, tesla has recently opened up the connection to solaredge so if the inverters are connected to the zigbee gateway they can report their production to solaredge and you can see that data in the solaredge app if you request a solaredge account from tesla.

bumping up original post question...
i still cannot see power wall / pv system in my tesla app (only model 3) seems most on here could see prior to PTO right? ( I can see TEG on my wifi has internet access and i can access the wifi of teg at home on browser) so i reached out tesla advisor told me "will not show in app until PTO" :rolleyes:
also I already filled out power wall self reg form on line last week / signed out app restarted app
Anyone encounter this pre-PTO ? Any other solutions ? really want to play around with app settings during my off grid "tests" :)

Normally solar only installs don’t show up in the app until after PTO. However for powerwall installs they normally commission the system and make sure that you can see it in your app while they are still on site. Perhaps since you weren’t there while they were on site they weren’t able to do that, so it will wind up getting activated in your app at PTO instead.

bumping up original post question...
i still cannot see power wall / pv system in my tesla app (only model 3) seems most on here could see prior to PTO right? ( I can see TEG on my wifi has internet access and i can access the wifi of teg at home on browser) so i reached out tesla advisor told me "will not show in app until PTO" :rolleyes:
also I already filled out power wall self reg form on line last week / signed out app restarted app
Anyone encounter this pre-PTO ? Any other solutions ? really want to play around with app settings during my off grid "tests" :)

did tesla do your install or was it third party. I dont remember which you had...

For tesla install, especially with powerwalls, the app is generally working when they leave. For third party installs, I have read people get that "wait until PTO statement and also read some having it setup before PTO. So, like with many things tesla, "it depends".

On the little black box, @BrettS gave the answer that fits what most of us feel is the purpose of that box in post 11.

Super basic question. I was not home for most of install. How do I get my solar powerwall system to show up on Tesla app? (I have a model 3 on app already and when I swipe over still just shows ad for solar etc)
I know the installer had my gf enter our WiFi password on his tablet and I do see system connected to home network. Today I am running system test off grid and I can view power flow / batt state of charge by connecting my phone directly to the Tesla Gateway 2’s WiFi
I did find an online form to fill out on Tesla’s website “Product Registration : Enable Tesla mobil App access”
I filled that out so is it now just a matter of patiently waiting for it to show up on my app?
I had my system installed yesterday. 12.24kW solar with powerwalls.
After the powerwall guy finished and turned the power on in the house, the other powerwall installer guy handed me his phone and said to choose my wi-if network name from the list and enter the password. I did and gave the phone back and he walked away to finish up. I opened the Tesla app right away but my system did not show.
About 10-15 minutes later they had turned on the inverter and had been waiting for all the panels to register. My app still showed nothing. After the guy said the panels were finally reading he handed me his phone again and I filled out the info form with name, email, phone, address, and about 3 ‘I accept’ boxes. About 2 minutes later my app was showing my entire solar and powerwall system. The installer said he was reading the system from the local wi-fi interface during this time.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I had to call Tesla energy support @ (877) 961-7652 for them to register my system with my existing account for the app to work. For some reason we couldn’t get it working when the installers were here, no matter how many times we tried and signed in/out of the app.

PTO shouldn’t matter, you can still use the PW as backup before PTO assuming they have some level of charge.

I had my system installed yesterday. 12.24kW solar with powerwalls.
After the powerwall guy finished and turned the power on in the house, the other powerwall installer guy handed me his phone and said to choose my wi-if network name from the list and enter the password. I did and gave the phone back and he walked away to finish up. I opened the Tesla app right away but my system did not show.
About 10-15 minutes later they had turned on the inverter and had been waiting for all the panels to register. My app still showed nothing. After the guy said the panels were finally reading he handed me his phone again and I filled out the info form with name, email, phone, address, and about 3 ‘I accept’ boxes. About 2 minutes later my app was showing my entire solar and powerwall system. The installer said he was reading the system from the local wi-fi interface during this time.

I figured I may have missed this part ... installer only had my wifi name / password
I did find a “power wall self registration” page but it did not have any agree boxes ... and no results as a said
Thank you for info though