Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New inventory discount vs New order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two questions?

Any issues with a discounted (~3K) tesla from existing new inventory instead of building the same exact car from new? saving 3K or so....?

Any chance or risk that any of the existing Model Y or other Tesla cars now have HW3 instead of the HW4?

Crazy time to buy a Tesla with inventories very low
I might be in WI for a year and wanted to PU a T and no mas
PU Options start 4-5 hours away
I might just drive from NY 17 hours
Much better inventory in NY
But still tight

I haven’t bought an inventory Y, but did just pick up an inventory 3 a couple weeks ago for a discount.
If you can find an inventory car that matches your specs, it seems foolish to “custom order” and pay more. There’s no guarantee your “custom order” isn’t just an inventory car that you paid more for. If Tesla has an inventory car sitting at one of their showrooms close to you, why would they build another instead of allocating it to you? Seems like a perfectly logical business move.
I’m not sure what @kpanda17 is talking about, but Tesla inventory is not tight. Compared to when I ordered my Y in 2021 and waited 8 months for it, buying a Tesla now is easier and quicker than ever. I ordered my inventory 3 at 8pm on a Tuesday night and took delivery the next afternoon.
An inventory car is a new car, it will not be a demo car. Tesla differentiates between an inventory car and demo car, so you know what you’re getting.
As far as HW3 and HW4, are you planning on getting FSD? If not, it doesn’t really matter. Even then so, is paying $3200 more now for HW4 that isn’t even working fully with FSD Beta worth it to you?
If it were me, I’d take the inventory car with $3200 discount and not care if I got HW3 or HW4. Chances are you won’t even tell the difference.

I just took delivery of a MYLR demo car that I bought via the Inventory website that had 1,900 miles on it. It was $5700 off so well worth it to me. It has matrix headlights but HW3 but I don't really care cause I'm saving a good bit of coin. It had all the options I needed too like a 3rd row and 20" wheels & tow hitch. Unless you can't wait and have a very specific spec you like & don't want to compromise just choose from inventory.

Reactions: pipestem
Tight meaning
Not a crazy asks, no demos

M3RWD Black or Grey and Black Interior
NY location
1692641916323.png

Another search
MYLR same as above, 18”
2x
1692642062740.png

But is not like there are a ton of vehicles

Tight meaning

NY location
View attachment 967090
Another search
MYLR same as above, 18”
2x
View attachment 967091

I can’t understand your responses and I’m not sure what zip code your looking at. But, looking at inventory Ys in Westchester NY on the Tesla.com website, there’s quite a few available. Not sure why you’re posting screenshots from waitingfortesla.com, when using the actual Tesla website is the easiest and most accurate way to search for inventory cars.

I can’t understand your responses and I’m not sure what zip code your looking at. But, looking at inventory Ys in Westchester NY on the Tesla.com website, there’s quite a few available. Not sure why you’re posting screenshots from waitingfortesla.com, when using the actual Tesla website is the easiest and most accurate way to search for inventory cars.
Ok

Tight meaning

NY location
View attachment 967090
Another search
MYLR same as above, 18”
2x
View attachment 967091

Don't use waiting for Tesla right now. It's not tracking everything you can get. Check Tesla.com and view their inventory, there are quite a few more cars that don't show up on waiting for Tesla.

Here's a few with a roughly $1200 discount for the Wisconsin Zip code I typed in:
1692650997032.png

Here's the same for NY with 10002 zip code, this one is $40k even which makes it $32,500 after the tax credit:

1692651126231.png

Although I'd sped a little more and get this LR AWD if you live in states like WI or NY:

1692651250959.png

Last edited:
I just took delivery of a MYLR demo car that I bought via the Inventory website that had 1,900 miles on it. It was $5700 off so well worth it to me. It has matrix headlights but HW3 but I don't really care cause I'm saving a good bit of coin. It had all the options I needed too like a 3rd row and 20" wheels & tow hitch. Unless you can't wait and have a very specific spec you like & don't want to compromise just choose from inventory.
FYI, my 2019 M3 was a demo car and had about 500 miles on it and flawless do to being a demo model. So I would always consider a demo model for the savings AND it’s usually in really good condition as far as no panel gaps, etc.

This was exactly my fear. I was very close to putting a deposit on a MY LR white/white that was discounted 4k, but I just couldn't do it. I kept thinking there has to be a reason it's discounted that much.
"Is it hardware 3 or 4?"
This is going to be number one question at resale in the future.

This was exactly my fear. I was very close to putting a deposit on a MY LR white/white that was discounted 4k, but I just couldn't do it. I kept thinking there has to be a reason it's discounted that much.
"Is it hardware 3 or 4?"
This is going to be number one question at resale in the future.

All Demo Model Y's should be hardware 4 by now. Go through the purchase process, give your $250 initial deposit, but don't give your $4,500 down payment until you show up to take delivery. But get all of the rest of your paperwork in order. When you show up to take deliver, look at the cameras and if they have a red glare on the lens, then send your $4,500 down payment or write the check and finish the delivery process.

If it's hardware 3, unlikely by now, but if so then just deny delivery. The most you'll lose is the $250 deposit. It's a $250 gamble.

All Demo Model Y's should be hardware 4 by now. Go through the purchase process, give your $250 initial deposit, but don't give your $4,500 down payment until you show up to take delivery. But get all of the rest of your paperwork in order. When you show up to take deliver, look at the cameras and if they have a red glare on the lens, then send your $4,500 down payment or write the check and finish the delivery process.

If it's hardware 3, unlikely by now, but if so then just deny delivery. The most you'll lose is the $250 deposit. It's a $250 gamble.
Not quite that easy for me. I have to take delivery 350 miles away in Kansas City.

I haven’t bought an inventory Y, but did just pick up an inventory 3 a couple weeks ago for a discount.
If you can find an inventory car that matches your specs, it seems foolish to “custom order” and pay more. There’s no guarantee your “custom order” isn’t just an inventory car that you paid more for. If Tesla has an inventory car sitting at one of their showrooms close to you, why would they build another instead of allocating it to you? Seems like a perfectly logical business move.
I’m not sure what @kpanda17 is talking about, but Tesla inventory is not tight. Compared to when I ordered my Y in 2021 and waited 8 months for it, buying a Tesla now is easier and quicker than ever. I ordered my inventory 3 at 8pm on a Tuesday night and took delivery the next afternoon.
An inventory car is a new car, it will not be a demo car. Tesla differentiates between an inventory car and demo car, so you know what you’re getting.
As far as HW3 and HW4, are you planning on getting FSD? If not, it doesn’t really matter. Even then so, is paying $3200 more now for HW4 that isn’t even working fully with FSD Beta worth it to you?
If it were me, I’d take the inventory car with $3200 discount and not care if I got HW3 or HW4. Chances are you won’t even tell the difference.
No such thing as a custom order. They build cars in batches and match you order soon as one comes up. Inventory vehicles are vehicles built without a match or vehicles someone passed on.