Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reject inventory vehicle after inspection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are also picking up our MYLR from Fremont this Friday. Good to hear recent experiences have been positive.

I have the full exterior/interior checklist to run through when we pick up the car. Quick note: Fremont is not allowing inspection of the interior before payment but you have up to 7 days to report any issues that require service appointment

• Informative
Reactions: wildguess
We are also picking up our MYLR from Fremont this Friday. Good to hear recent experiences have been positive.

I have the full exterior/interior checklist to run through when we pick up the car. Quick note: Fremont is not allowing inspection of the interior before payment but you have up to 7 days to report any issues that require service appointment
We switched to Fremont vin as it was cheaper. Paint is perfect, only issues are a couple wide panel gaps and condensation inside one headlight. All in all seems like an above average build compared to a lot of the gap photos I’ve seen where people comment that they look pretty good.

• Informative
Reactions: wildguess
That's great! Are they fixing/replacing the headlight assembly?
Nope, said it’s normal. We said we couldn’t find any other cars on the lot with the same issue. Another technician came out and said they only replace if water starts to pool in it and condensation in the inside is normal and clears up on the next non rainy day. It’s the only major flaw beyond the typical panel gaps, so we didn’t want to risk getting another worse vehicle.

It’s really pretty easy - it doesn’t take a savant to realize that a car still in transit from the factory hasn’t been rejected by a customer (and again, there are hundreds/thousands available with this status right now).

I also took delivery personally of an inventory model last quarter with a ~$3k discount. It was pristine and came off the line 5 days before I drove off with it. There was no way to distinguish this car from any other brand new car on the lot.

There are countless examples of others on this forum doing exactly the same.

I’ve been around here a long time and it’s easy enough to take a stab at how many people are actually rejecting VINs on a daily basis. It’s a microscopic number, even in an Internet forum environment like this where problems are greatly amplified.

Am I “guessing” that a “teeny tiny fraction” of the thousands of currently available inventory cars have not been damaged or rejected by a customer? Sure. But it’s a rather educated guess, and anybody who thinks all of these cars are discounted because they’re rejects is either deluded or just flatly not paying attention.

There are over a hundred Model 3s available for delivery to my zip code right now (the inventory site seems to stop loading at 100 cars so there’s probably many more). The great majority of them, including the ones with the highest discounts, are all “in transit” from the factory. These are brand new cars in indistinguishable condition from any other brand new Tesla (which is to say - highly variable 😂). Full stop.
Correct, if it is in-transit it is the same as another new order from the "reject" perspective. If it is already at the SC then maybe it was passed up n=by others or not. Tesla builds and builds, they don't stop their assembly line. If a car is coming in with no matches then they decide whether to discount to move the vehicle as they can't have them pile too high at the SCs.