Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reject inventory vehicle after inspection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going to pick up a MYLR I ordered from inventory with +3k off MSRP. What would happen if I found some issues with the car and reject the delivery? Would I lose the $250 order fee? Could I pick another MYLR from the lot? Would they cancel my order with the discount? Any experience?

Going to pick up a MYLR I ordered from inventory with +3k off MSRP. What would happen if I found some issues with the car and reject the delivery? Would I lose the $250 order fee? Could I pick another MYLR from the lot? Would they cancel my order with the discount? Any experience?
Your salesperson can transfer the fee to another car. The price/discounts might be different.

Reactions: richyrich
Basically you rejected without a valid reason?

This seems like a preemptive, rhetorical question, not a "now that I have done this, what happens" question.

The answer to the question for the OP is that any discounts apply to the specific vehicle. If the vehicle is rejected, you will generally go back in line. IF there happens to be another acceptable car that is not assigned to someone else on the lot, its possible that your order could be swapped to that, but whatever price that vehicle is, is what it is.

The expectation should not be for Tesla to automatically transfer any discounts to any potential other vehicle. I even remember a thread here where Tesla itself wrecked the car that was supposed to be delivered to the person who started the thread, and still did not want to transfer any discounts.

So, TL ; DR

1. If OP cancels they should expect to get back in line (and possibly not take delivery by the end of the year)
2. They should expect the $250 order fee to be able to be transferred to another vehicle, if this is the first time they have canceled
3. They should expect any other vehicle that they might pick to have its own price, which has nothing to do with the price of the canceled vehicle. It should not be expected for Tesla to let them buy a different vehicle at the agreed upon price of the one being canceled.

This seems like a preemptive, rhetorical question, not a "now that I have done this, what happens" question.

The answer to the question for the OP is that any discounts apply to the specific vehicle. If the vehicle is rejected, you will generally go back in line. IF there happens to be another acceptable car that is not assigned to someone else on the lot, its possible that your order could be swapped to that, but whatever price that vehicle is, is what it is.

The expectation should not be for Tesla to automatically transfer any discounts to any potential other vehicle. I even remember a thread here where Tesla itself wrecked the car that was supposed to be delivered to the person who started the thread, and still did not want to transfer any discounts.

So, TL ; DR

1. If OP cancels they should expect to get back in line (and possibly not take delivery by the end of the year)
2. They should expect the $250 order fee to be able to be transferred to another vehicle, if this is the first time they have canceled
3. They should expect any other vehicle that they might pick to have its own price, which has nothing to do with the price of the canceled vehicle. It should not be expected for Tesla to let them buy a different vehicle at the agreed upon price of the one being canceled.
Makes sense. Hope my MYLR has no major problems.

You have to understand that they are offering +3K off MSRP for a reason. It just depends on how big of a stickler you are and whether the discount justifies the defect. If they gave you a pristine condition car, why would they offer you a +3K discount. Think of it like buying an open box product at Best Buy.

You have to understand that they are offering +3K off MSRP for a reason. It just depends on how big of a stickler you are and whether the discount justifies the defect. If they gave you a pristine condition car, why would they offer you a +3K discount. Think of it like buying an open box product at Best Buy.
I purchased a car that was in transit and I found no flaws what’s so ever on my Austin build LR. Made out like a bandit I feel, I purchased a MYLR in February 23 and paid about &54k with delivery & registration vs the year end sale was $48,312 out the door. Almost a $5k in saving for the base MYLR . I don’t think the prices are going to drop lower than they are now for December and the juniper model will not be available to us till 3rd quarter of 2024 if your lucky. Don’t forget the 6 month of supercharging.

Im picking up my Fremont built tomorrow. Anyone has quality issues with Fremont built recently?
You seem to be looking to borrow trouble??
There can be problems with any car built at any location. It is rare to have issues on cars from any location.

Enjoy picking up your car, it is a great vehicle and you will love it.

On the off chance that there are any issues, Tesla will fix it. If a plane crashes into your car before delivery, Tesla will be happy to put you inline for another. But you shouldn’t expect anything beyond that.

Reactions: wildguess
This is not at all how it works. Inventory cars, unless otherwise marked as demos, are brand new vehicles indistinguishable from any other “custom order” vehicle (Tesla produces everything in batches these days, there is no such thing as a “custom order” really).

Inventory discounts are a way for them to lower prices in times of soft demand while also claiming to stick to their “we don’t discount, everyone pays the same price” policy. It’s an incentive to match up currently available production to an owner before the end of a quarter.

These are not “scratch and dent” or “open box” cars. They’re literally brand new, right off the production line like everything else.

This is not at all how it works. Inventory cars, unless otherwise marked as demos, are brand new vehicles indistinguishable from any other “custom order” vehicle (Tesla produces everything in batches these days, there is no such thing as a “custom order” really).

Inventory discounts are a way for them to lower prices in times of soft demand while also claiming to stick to their “we don’t discount, everyone pays the same price” policy. It’s an incentive to match up currently available production to an owner before the end of a quarter.

These are not “scratch and dent” or “open box” cars. They’re literally brand new, right off the production line like everything else.
What do you think they do with the vehicles that are rejected by the original purchaser? They are not demos, so won't be listed as such.

Other than the ones that were damaged, some significantly, and repaired. Still new, but I would call them scratch and dent.

What do you think they do with the vehicles that are rejected by the original purchaser? They are not demos, so won't be listed as such.
These are a teeny tiny fraction of the current “inventory vehicles” available and not what is driving the pricing and discount strategy in any way. There are _thousands_ of inventory vehicles available across the country right now. Many of them haven’t even reached the showroom yet.

It’s also worth pointing out ANY new vehicle may be repaired or refurbished before delivery - “inventory” or not - and it generally doesn’t have to be disclosed.

Reactions: mwdietertg
How do you know what this percentage is? Do you have some inside information? I believe you're just guessing, like the rest of us.
It’s really pretty easy - it doesn’t take a savant to realize that a car still in transit from the factory hasn’t been rejected by a customer (and again, there are hundreds/thousands available with this status right now).

I also took delivery personally of an inventory model last quarter with a ~$3k discount. It was pristine and came off the line 5 days before I drove off with it. There was no way to distinguish this car from any other brand new car on the lot.

There are countless examples of others on this forum doing exactly the same.

I’ve been around here a long time and it’s easy enough to take a stab at how many people are actually rejecting VINs on a daily basis. It’s a microscopic number, even in an Internet forum environment like this where problems are greatly amplified.

Am I “guessing” that a “teeny tiny fraction” of the thousands of currently available inventory cars have not been damaged or rejected by a customer? Sure. But it’s a rather educated guess, and anybody who thinks all of these cars are discounted because they’re rejects is either deluded or just flatly not paying attention.

There are over a hundred Model 3s available for delivery to my zip code right now (the inventory site seems to stop loading at 100 cars so there’s probably many more). The great majority of them, including the ones with the highest discounts, are all “in transit” from the factory. These are brand new cars in indistinguishable condition from any other brand new Tesla (which is to say - highly variable 😂). Full stop.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mwdietertg