Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NJBPU Announces Successful Conclusion of First Phase of Charge Up New Jersey EV Incentive Program

I just received an email with the above information. If you look at the above article and then click on the second link (see below) it is not good news at all. In short, if I’m understanding it correctly, it seems like if you don’t take delivery of a qualifying vehicle by 12/15/20 when Phase 1 of the program ends, there is no more funding until Phase 2 takes over in summer 2021. Phase 2 is when you’ll get the rebate at the time and point of purchase as opposed to filing paperwork and waiting for a check. This is horrible news with very little heads up that the program is ending for the 6-7 months when funding is again available. I was lucky to receive my check today after taking delivery in September. The $5000 rebate and the $3400 ish savings in NJ sales tax was the only way I was truly able to commit to purchasing this vehicle. I don’t know if I could or would do it without it. That’s a lot of money to leave on the table.

See what you all think about what the information says. I am very sorry to be the bearer of bad news. On the up side, if you can put off the purchase until Phase 2 opens next summer you will certainly get a lot of new options possibly including the upgraded 82 kWh batteries and any number of other things.

Home | Charge Up New Jersey

Will vehicles purchased after the post-purchase program closes on December 15, 2020, but before the point-of-sale program is launched be eligible for the incentive?
No; electric vehicles purchased or leased after December 15, 2020 and before the launch of the point-of-sale program in summer 2021 will not receive an incentive through the Charge Up New Jersey Program due to lack of available funding.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Reesh and MrWattson
NJBPU Announces Successful Conclusion of First Phase of Charge Up New Jersey EV Incentive Program

I just received an email with the above information. If you look at the above article and then click on the second link (see below) it is not good news at all. In short, if I’m understanding it correctly, it seems like if you don’t take delivery of a qualifying vehicle by 12/15/20 when Phase 1 of the program ends, there is no more funding until Phase 2 takes over in summer 2021. Phase 2 is when you’ll get the rebate at the time and point of purchase as opposed to filing paperwork and waiting for a check. This is horrible news with very little heads up that the program is ending for the 6-7 months when funding is again available. I was lucky to receive my check today after taking delivery in September. The $5000 rebate and the $3400 ish savings in NJ sales tax was the only way I was truly able to commit to purchasing this vehicle. I don’t know if I could or would do it without it. That’s a lot of money to leave on the table.

See what you all think about what the information says. I am very sorry to be the bearer of bad news. On the up side, if you can put off the purchase until Phase 2 opens next summer you will certainly get a lot of new options possibly including the upgraded 82 kWh batteries and any number of other things.

Home | Charge Up New Jersey

Will vehicles purchased after the post-purchase program closes on December 15, 2020, but before the point-of-sale program is launched be eligible for the incentive?
No; electric vehicles purchased or leased after December 15, 2020 and before the launch of the point-of-sale program in summer 2021 will not receive an incentive through the Charge Up New Jersey Program due to lack of available funding.

I spoke to Tesla Springfield just now about this and they said NJ told them as long as the customer places their order today (and maybe tomorrow the 15th), then takes delivery and submits the application by March 15, then it should work.

I think that might not be true, based on the email I received from NJBPU it clearly states "During this time the program administrator will accept and review for completeness and eligibility all Charge Up New Jersey applications for a Phase One incentive with a vehicle purchase or lease date between January 17 and December 15, 2020."

Following is the link of the announcement Board of Public Utilities | NJBPU Announces Successful Conclusion of First Phase of Charge Up New Jersey Electric Vehicle Incentive Program

I think it is very clear that the documentation has to all be completed by 12/15. I am sure Tesla will be swamped.

I think that might not be true, based on the email I received from NJBPU it clearly states "During this time the program administrator will accept and review for completeness and eligibility all Charge Up New Jersey applications for a Phase One incentive with a vehicle purchase or lease date between January 17 and December 15, 2020."

Following is the link of the announcement Board of Public Utilities | NJBPU Announces Successful Conclusion of First Phase of Charge Up New Jersey Electric Vehicle Incentive Program

I think it is very clear that the documentation has to all be completed by 12/15. I am sure Tesla will be swamped.

I truly hope so but I “purchased” or ordered my MY on 9/12. Took delivery on 9/30. My purchase is effectively 9/30 on my Tesla contract not 9/12. I hope that NJ and Tesla do the right thing.

I spoke to Tesla Springfield just now about this and they said NJ told them as long as the customer places their order today (and maybe tomorrow the 15th), then takes delivery and submits the application by March 15, then it should work.

I got the same response from Tesla Lawrenceville, I am skeptical and I hope they know what they are doing. Also based on my experience with submitting the paperwork to NJ for my Model 3 the lease date is the actual date I picked the car

Reactions: NJEV-Don
Just spoke to a representative from ChargeupNJ and she referenced their article stating that Tesla deliveries ARE eligible as long as the order is placed by 12/15. Delivery can happen after that date. They use the order date as purchase date. Good news for anyone who wants to order today before expiration.