Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Maps in the UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, i got the update yesterday, have only had my X for a week, I haven't been out yet to the update, on my first road trip at the weekend, so will see.
Have signed up for TeslaFi, really interesting on the info. including firmware update tracking ( under the fleet section )

Reactions: paso904
Hi guys, i got the update yesterday, have only had my X for a week, I haven't been out yet to the update, on my first road trip at the weekend, so will see.
Have signed up for TeslaFi, really interesting on the info. including firmware update tracking ( under the fleet section )

As @J1mbo says the map update is only rolling out in the States at the moment so even though you're on the latest software you won't have the new maps. They will come, although who knows when, as a separate update. You'll get a notification on the main screen when they've downloaded and been installed, it's different to the software update process.

Reactions: paso904
It’s a strange thing to think that the car I’ve ordered could be a slightly different car I get, who knows what will change in 5 months :)

Yes, and likely as not soon after delivery Tesla will change something for new cars and yours will be ‘out of date’.

It’s like buying a computer but waiting until they get a bit better, you’d end up never buying one.

Maybe I was lucky with my timing ...

2 years old in a couple of months. Pre-facelift (but if that bothered me there are 3rd party nosecones that would "fake" that)

Pre Pound-nosedive / Brexit, which has probably taken care of a good chunk of my depreciation

Pre HW2 / AP2 which I have watched owners patiently wait for - must have been very annoying for them

AP1 still very good (reads speed signs, not as good as AP2 on A-roads, but I'm not ready to hand off control on minor A-roads / across junctions / etc. until that gets a LOT better. On Major A-roads AP1 is fine (although some sections restricted to 45 MPH, dunno about AP2 for those stretches)

Lots of upgrades have arrived OTA in that time ...

Plenty of older Model-S drivers still very happy with their cars. The New Tech is better, but not (yet) a quantum leap. So as long as you don;t buy just BEFORE a quantum leap, then I think you will struggle to have any significant regrets in 2 or 3 years of ownership.

I got the new map update this morning. I got 2018.21.9 75bdbc11 3 days ago and then got the map update this morning.
Pretty much the same sequence of events for me.

For the record I have a pre-facelift 2016 MS: AP1 and MCU1. I had seen some speculation that only MCU2 cars were getting the new map update in Europe / the UK so following the latest software update it's nice to have something other than more frequent nags to hold the steering wheel!

Based on a sample of two cross-city trips in moderate to heavy traffic the new route planning is much better at (a) routing and (b) estimating arrival times - more akin to Google maps / Waze which I'd been using rather than the in-car nav - until today :)

• Informative
Reactions: robertvg
57538291-93D2-45D7-8D29-D7AE20FF540C.jpeg
1FD0078C-048F-4758-A685-E93FE798AD5F.jpeg
How can you tell if you have new maps?

Apologies the reply is a bit of a mess but hopefully you can make sense if it!

Simplest way to tell is to go to the nav app and if it says ‘online routing’ that’s the new maps/nav. ‘Traffic routing’ is the old wording.

Quite a few owners are getting the nav update after the 2018.21.9 software update but they are not directly related. The update arrives and then a while later a message in the car saying beta nav.

The guidance in the IC is different as per image above.

The MCU sceeen will also have Tesla beta navigation as above, bottom right hand corner.

I didn't get notified that the car had a software update or anything like that just the attached popup when i got in the car this morning. Mine is a facelift 2016 with AP1 so has MCU1 as well. The routing does seem to be better, at least it didn't try and get me to drive in a circle around my office carpark this morning it just took me to the entrance. IMG_0202 (1).jpg

Something I didn't realise but have discovered since getting the Nav update today: the Nav update is separate to the big map on the main screen. So in my case I still have the old map (no "Beta" on the display) but the new Nav calculates routes and displays directions in the driver console.

IMG_3544_rot.JPG
IMG_3544_rot.JPG

IMG_3542.JPG
IMG_3542.JPG

IMG_3547_rot.JPG
IMG_3547_rot.JPG