Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge on Solar UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It appears that Tesla now supports Charge on Solar in the UK.

I have the prerequisite app version, Powerwall and vehicle firmware but I don’t see the option to enable the function in the app.

I’ve re-installed the app and solar and battery export are supported in my installation.

Has anyone got it working in the UK?

I have a 3rd gen Tesla Wall Connector.

True on the export rates but I’ve been somewhat lazy to set up, though I should do it!

Still, they advertise the capability so keen to know if anyone has got it to work.

I used the Tesla One Android app to connect to Backup Gateway and Powerwall 2.1 then do a System Stop and System Start, along with logging out of Tesla App and back in, which caused Vehicle Charging menu item to appear under Settings (below Powerwall, above Storm Watch). However, being a ‘legacy’ S owner all I see inside is:

Screenshot_20240303-121714_Tesla.jpg

Nothing visible in the car part of the app, though can get to see what it looks like on the Tesla website.

Similar thing here with regard to higher export rate, with solar diverter CT unclipped for quite some time.

Last edited:
I used the Tesla One Android app to connect to Backup Gateway and Powerwall 2.1 then do a System Stop and System Start, along with logging out of Tesla App and back in, which caused Vehicle Charging menu item to appear under Settings (below Powerwall, above Storm Watch). However, being a ‘legacy’ S owner all I see inside is:

View attachment 1024139

Nothing visible in the car part of the app, though can get to see what it looks like on the Tesla website.

Similar thing here with regard to higher export rate, with solar diverter CT unclipped for quite some time.
I have a Vehicle Charging settings option for the Powerwalls in the iOS app but it only deals with the use of the battery during a power outage.

IMG_7096.png

I did have charge on Solar appear in the app but it seems to have disappeared now.
Wouldn’t be much use to me as I have Zappi chargers.

I did have a look and it appeared to be timed settings so you’d be guessing when the sun was out. Could be wrong!

I don’t have the option as my Gateway seems to still be on Firmware 22.9.1
I have run a software update check but no new firmware has been offered so I emailed them to find out if there is anything wrong.

@KennethS From the blurb on the Tesla website it seems you don’t need a Gen 3 wall connector. I suspect the software modulates the charge rate in the car directly.

• Informative
Reactions: KennethS
After the Tesla app updated to 4.32.0 the other day I noticed the Charge On Solar option was available. Tried it out yesterday only for it to "pause charging" because Powerwall had "priority", despite the PW2 being at 100% and around 3.5 kW of solar being exported.

Reading through the Tesla blurb (here) I suspect this is due to the Time-Based Control setting for the Powerwall in conjunction with the 15p/kWh export, 7.5p/kWh off-peak import. So the Powerwall's "priority" seems to be "make/save as much cash as possible", which is fair enough!

I didn't bother adjusting the rates in the app, but it's nice to know the feature is there if/when import/export arbitrage is no longer favourable.