Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Maps in the UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ever since a recent update, the onboard navigation describes the distance to an approaching obstacle in feet, not yards (e.g. "In 1000 feet, enter the roundabout..."). That's ridiculous, because 1000 feet is meaningless in a driving context, whereas 350 yards isn't.
How do I turn the narration back to using yards instead of feet?
You can't have yards but you could switch the car to metric units and pretend that metres = yards. I know, a metre is 39 inches instead of 36 but it is close enough.

32.4 agreed they fixed the (new)maps traffic refresh; however the navigation maps (shown in the IC) are a different database and I have found a number of occasions where they are out of date and different to the main screen Google maps. Rather unseemly.
Added to which the phone mostly will only dial out at the second attempt; and the audo now keeps breaking up when it didnt used to, the media player prev/next buttons on the wheel dont work and other general media misbehaviour, I'm not calling this one of Tesla's better releases. We all love the updates but just too many bugs.
On top of which I set it to 100% charge one day, reset it to 90% when I left and it promptly charged right back up to a 100% the following day even though the screen was showing the 90% set value, it then had the cheek to warn me about it :rolleyes:
On the plus side AP now only occasionally tries to drive you into the hedge when passing left turns now, infact more of a nervous tick really, so a bit more relaxing than recent builds.
Despite the occaisional niggles I still wouldn't change it for any other car on the road.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
32.4 agreed they fixed the (new)maps traffic refresh; however the navigation maps (shown in the IC) are a different database and I have found a number of occasions where they are out of date and different to the main screen Google maps. Rather unseemly.
Added to which the phone mostly will only dial out at the second attempt; and the audo now keeps breaking up when it didnt used to, the media player prev/next buttons on the wheel dont work and other general media misbehaviour, I'm not calling this one of Tesla's better releases. We all love the updates but just too many bugs.
On top of which I set it to 100% charge one day, reset it to 90% when I left and it promptly charged right back up to a 100% the following day even though the screen was showing the 90% set value, it then had the cheek to warn me about it :rolleyes:
On the plus side AP now only occasionally tries to drive you into the hedge when passing left turns now, infact more of a nervous tick really, so a bit more relaxing than recent builds.
Despite the occaisional niggles I still wouldn't change it for any other car on the road.

I'm not having any of your audio issues with 32.4 (haven't tried the phone), so maybe you have some other coincidental fault going on there?

I can confirm I am having the same issue with the Audio, plus Radio favourites greyed out, forward/back screen buttons not working and steering wheels buttons the same, my service centre has confirmed this is a firmware issue and will be fixed in build 38 I believe.

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-13_16-50-56.png
    upload_2018-9-13_16-50-56.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 81
I can confirm I am having the same issue with the Audio, plus Radio favourites greyed out, forward/back screen buttons not working and steering wheels buttons the same, my service centre has confirmed this is a firmware issue and will be fixed in build 38 I believe.

Now you mention it I had noticed the greyed out radio favourites. But my forward/back buttons on the steering wheel are working (at least in Spotify)

Just re-save your favorites. Touch the ❤️ to remove and then again to re-save. Seems to be a bug from previos updates as well.

yup. Done that - at least there is some functionality now, but changing radio station is back to being three clicks away again - not cool.

Build .38? I have never had an SC confirm a fix to a build nr; i guess they may just be saying "well it's not fixed in .36 so you can hope for .38"! That must be getting pretty close to v9 though, so hopefully more new toys than gremlins.

Is this with the new Nav? I've found it very good, certainly much more up-to-date than the old system which was at least 18-24 months behind judging from new roads / alterations in my area. The only niggles I've noticed are on very minor roads: a couple of missing gates and a missing junction connection.

The main Google screen maps are downloaded live so may be updated within days of a road change whereas even the new Nav system is stored offline so will presumably need periodic updates and therefore always be a bit behind. But hopefully it's now a matter of months rather than years.

Is this with the new Nav? I've found it very good, certainly much more up-to-date than the old system which was at least 18-24 months behind judging from new roads / alterations in my area. The only niggles I've noticed are on very minor roads: a couple of missing gates and a missing junction connection.

The main Google screen maps are downloaded live so may be updated within days of a road change whereas even the new Nav system is stored offline so will presumably need periodic updates and therefore always be a bit behind. But hopefully it's now a matter of months rather than years.

I think we're pretty spoilt in respect of map updates compared to most other OEM sat-navs, which are often multiple years behind!

New maps indeed.

Agree we are spoilt with map updates compared other manufacturers, that said as a particular example of discrepancy between the maps the A1081 out of Luton to the M1 has a whole new junction on it by Stockford Park that must have been there for 2-3 years now which the main screen was fine with but the Nav map on the IC was clueless about. No harm done but the joys of 2 mappings systems in the car just accentuates any anomalies.

As an aside I do wish there was a high contrast version of the main Google maps as I am forever squinting atthe screen trying to fathom grey background with slightly lighter gray minor roads. Flattening is all very good but must be said that Ordnance Survey had this better.
Now I feel bad b*tching about the best mapping system in any car on the planet.

• Funny
Reactions: cezdoc
No. You choose either metric or US imperial - and they work in feet. You soon get used to it - 1000 feet is (very roughly) 300 yards.

At least we don't have to cope with the difference between US and UK gallons! Ironically, it looks as though the US still measures gas consumption in BTU.