Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

new member - need advice on lease or purchase a model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This will be my first EV and given the technological advances Tesla/EV industry is making, wanted to weigh in both options. I have leased once long time ago before and knows the general pro's and con's of leasing a car. But times are different now and I was thinking of leasing first then as the EV industry matures a bit in a few years then purchase a future model after first round of lease ends? Looking in to a model Y.

Do not lease unless:

1. You drive no more than 12,000 mile / year
2. You do not keep a car longer than 3-years
3. You keep up with all maintenance requirements (not very difficult on a Tesla)

BUT, Tesla does not offer a favorable lease, at least they did not last year. A lease will cost you $X / month for a 3-year lease while a loan will be only about $100 more for a 5-year loan. Having much lower payments is why most people lease. If you run the numbers you may well find that the loan balance after 3-years (perhaps 50%) might be less then the car’s value (maybe 60%). But definitely run the numbers for yourself.