Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 Brakes are Noisy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my Model 3 LR AWD at the end of December. Since picking up the car, I've noticed that the brakes are noisy, emitting a scraping sound. Its mostly noticeable when going slower, like in stop and go traffic. When I brought it up with my Service Advisor, he said its completely normal and all Model 3 brakes makes this noise. I've rented a Model 3 on several occasions in the past and never noticed the noise then.

I've searched these forums looking for similar posts, but I haven't seen anyone complain of this issue. Are my brakes behaving normally, or is my SA full of it?

Sounds like you might not have "bed in your brakes". It is advised to make 4-5 stops from 45mph slightly aggressively than normal, idea here is to increase the rotor temp, and you dont need to come to a complete stop. You repeat this from 60mph, etc.. and take approx 10 or so passes. At least this was the common wisdom among muscle car owners.

Reactions: Ryephile
I got my Model 3 LR AWD at the end of December. Since picking up the car, I've noticed that the brakes are noisy, emitting a scraping sound. Its mostly noticeable when going slower, like in stop and go traffic. When I brought it up with my Service Advisor, he said its completely normal and all Model 3 brakes makes this noise. I've rented a Model 3 on several occasions in the past and never noticed the noise then.

Did it start happening after it rained/the car got wet? The pads can get a small layer of corrosion on the surface that presses against the brake rotor which then makes noise. In a conventional ICE car without regen braking, you use the brakes enough that this layer gets worn away pretty quickly and isn't an issue. With an EV, you rarely use the brakes so the corrosion doesn't get worn off and can make noise.

Turn your regen to low and try using the brakes a little and see if it improves at all.

Did it start happening after it rained/the car got wet? The pads can get a small layer of corrosion on the surface that presses against the brake rotor which then makes noise. In a conventional ICE car without regen braking, you use the brakes enough that this layer gets worn away pretty quickly and isn't an issue. With an EV, you rarely use the brakes so the corrosion doesn't get worn off and can make noise.

Turn your regen to low and try using the brakes a little and see if it improves at all.
The noise has been there since I picked the car up. Its barely rained here in the Bay Area this month, so it seems like any corrosion would have been removed by now. I'm going to try turning regen to low and see if it improves. But the fact that nobody else has complained of this issue seems to imply it is not normal, and what my SA is telling me is BS.

The noise has been there since I picked the car up. Its barely rained here in the Bay Area this month, so it seems like any corrosion would have been removed by now. I'm going to try turning regen to low and see if it improves. But the fact that nobody else has complained of this issue seems to imply it is not normal, and what my SA is telling me is BS.

Try harder. There are PLENTY of posts on the forum and on FB regarding noisy brakes.

Turn regen to low, drive safely up to a sufficient speed (45+), and then brake hard (safely). Repeat a few times so you can "scrub" the rotors. You don't need to come to a complete stop, but you need to ensure you are engaging the brakes more than using regen.

If the brakes are still making noise, then schedule service and demand an inspection.

Reactions: kbecks13