Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEW Model 3 Highland review!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You should always be considering other brands. Tesla doesn't have to stumble in order for someone else to make a better product.
Absolutely true, however looking at other brands is definitely accelerated with bad decisions from original brands. Just look at S/X sales after the yoke was introduced. I just figured Elon said they are only keeping S/X for sentimental reasons, so he doesn't care if they sell many, therefore might as well make wild design decisions to get some free press. I think Tesla does care about 3/Y sales.

Reactions: LoudMusic

New Shoes

While our test cars wore European-spec summer tires, U.S cars get a new standard 18-inch all-season tire for 2024. Last year's Michelin Primacy MXM4 235/45R-18 98W XL T1 will be replaced by the Michelin Primacy All Season 235/45R-18 98W XL T0 when the Highland goes on sale here early next year. The T1 and T0 that appear on the sidewalls indicate both the old and new tires are customized to Tesla's specs. Michelin says the new shoes have a lower rolling resistance than the tires they replace, which should help contribute to a small improvement in the car's driving range.
I never knew that Teslas are delivered with all-season tires in America. I wish they'd do that in Europe too, so I don't have to swap tires every time I get a new Tesla.

Reactions: tinkererguy
I never knew that Teslas are delivered with all-season tires in America. I wish they'd do that in Europe too, so I don't have to swap tires every time I get a new Tesla.

Please just for my stupidity. Is an "all-season" tyre what would be normal in Australia? I know there are studded tyres. Sounds crazy, but we just buy tyres here! They work in dry and wet condirtions, but are obviously not designed for snow. I also hear the term "summer tyre".

Please just for my stupidity. Is an "all-season" tyre what would be normal in Australia? I know there are studded tyres. Sounds crazy, but we just buy tyres here! They work in dry and wet condirtions, but are obviously not designed for snow. I also hear the term "summer tyre".
In Europe we have 4 types of tyres
  1. Summer tyres that are good in hot weather, dry and wet roads. Horrible on snow and ice, you might as well have put skis on the car. Not good in cold weather since they become hard.
  2. Stud-less winter tyres that are good in cold weather, dry and snow and provide some grip on ice. Not so good on wet roads due to aquaplaning. Not good in hot weather because they become too soft.
  3. Studded winter tyres that are good in cold weather, snow and ice. The studs reduce the grip a little bit on dry road and are also prone to aquaplaning on wet roads. Not good in hot weather because they become too soft. Quite noisy on roads with no snow and ice.
  4. All-season tyres are generally not that recommended since they provide less grip during summer than summer tyres and also less grip during winter than winter tyres. They also aquaplane at less speed than summer tyres.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
  1. Summer tyres that are good in hot weather, dry and wet roads. Horrible on snow and ice, you might as well have put skis on the car. Not good in cold weather since they become hard.
  2. Stud-less winter tyres that are good in cold weather, dry and snow and provide some grip on ice. Not so good on wet roads due to aquaplaning. Not good in hot weather because they become too soft.
  3. Studded winter tyres that are good in cold weather, snow and ice. The studs reduce the grip a little bit on dry road and are also prone to aquaplaning on wet roads. Not good in hot weather because they become too soft. Quite noisy on roads with no snow and ice.
  4. All-season tyres are generally not that recommended since they provide less grip during summer than summer tyres and also less grip during winter than winter tyres. They also aquaplane at less speed than summer tyres.

Thank you very much for the clear explanation. Looks like "Summer tyres" are the only tyres that go on cars in Australia then.

I live in Michigan (near Detroit) and have used the factory Michelin all season tires on my Model 3 AWD since 2019. I'm on my second set of factory tires. I haven't had any problems in the snow with it, but I also don't drive in deep compacted snow either. The snow plows come through quickly. My wife is from Germany and the way she understands it, they don't allow all season tires, or at the very least they need to run stud-less winter tires no matter what in winter.

It's a real pain in the ass to handle two sets of tires. I know in Germany my in laws can just take the car to a shop and they will store the tires as well. Here that's not a thing, so you need to put the tires somewhere and haul them to a shop to get mounted. Or you have to buy a separate set of wheels and tires to swap out.

For what it's worth, I had a 2005 Cadillac CTS-V (had the 5.7 liter Corvette Z06 engine with manual transmission). I put Bridgestone Blizzak stud less winter tires on it, and it was still pretty bad in snow. Then I replaced it with a mustang on factory all season tires, and that car was better in snow. Both were rear wheel drive with over 300 horsepower and traction/stability control.

I live in Michigan (near Detroit) and have used the factory Michelin all season tires on my Model 3 AWD since 2019. I'm on my second set of factory tires. I haven't had any problems in the snow with it, but I also don't drive in deep compacted snow either. The snow plows come through quickly. My wife is from Germany and the way she understands it, they don't allow all season tires, or at the very least they need to run stud-less winter tires no matter what in winter.

It's a real pain in the ass to handle two sets of tires. I know in Germany my in laws can just take the car to a shop and they will store the tires as well. Here that's not a thing, so you need to put the tires somewhere and haul them to a shop to get mounted. Or you have to buy a separate set of wheels and tires to swap out.

For what it's worth, I had a 2005 Cadillac CTS-V (had the 5.7 liter Corvette Z06 engine with manual transmission). I put Bridgestone Blizzak stud less winter tires on it, and it was still pretty bad in snow. Then I replaced it with a mustang on factory all season tires, and that car was better in snow. Both were rear wheel drive with over 300 horsepower and traction/stability control.

In Norway the rule is to always use the appropriate tyres for the driving situation.

All cars here come with two sets of wheels+tyres (summer and winter) as additional optional payed extra or for free as part of a promotion. Some people already have an extra set laying around from previous car and buy just one set or buy the car with two sets since it is sometimes cheaper than buying it separately.

Some choose to store the extra set of wheels at home and then change the wheels in their driveway when needed and some choose to rent storage for the wheels where they will change, wash, store, check and maintain them for you during the winter/summer season.

Driving on snow or ice requires a different driving technique than on dry roads during summer. Basically smooth acceleration, turning and braking and reduce speed when slippery, with that you can manage most cases without traction control. It is extremely rare that traction control activates in my car unless I provoke it to have some fun on empty roads.

I also live in Michigan and have been in the Midwest for more than 50 years.

Discount Tire and Belle Tire will store your wheels/tires (for a fee) and will swap summer/winter for free, FWIW.

front.jpg

In Norway the rule is to always use the appropriate tyres for the driving situation.

All cars here come with two sets of wheels+tyres (summer and winter) as additional optional payed extra or for free as part of a promotion. Some people already have an extra set laying around from previous car and buy just one set or buy the car with two sets since it is sometimes cheaper than buying it separately.
Do any people keep three sets of tires:
  • Summer tires for the summer.
  • Winter tires for when snow and ice are typical.
  • All season tires for when the weather is cold, but can be dry, wet, or light snow.
?

Do any people keep three sets of tires:
  • Summer tires for the summer.
  • Winter tires for when snow and ice are typical.
  • All season tires for when the weather is cold, but can be dry, wet, or light snow.
?

If you haven't changed to winter tyres before it starts to snow then you don't drive that day and you have yourself to blame that you didn't change when the weather got cooler and didn't check the weather forecast.

There's always some that take the chance and drive with summer tyres every winter and get into accidents.
There's also some that drive with studless winter tyres all year to try to save some money since it is technically allowed in Norway, but far from recommended.
And there are some that drive with all season tyres to save some money.

If you haven't changed to winter tyres before it starts to snow then you don't drive that day and you have yourself to blame that you didn't change when the weather got cooler and didn't check the weather forecast.

There's always some that take the chance and drive with summer tyres every winter and get into accidents.
There's also some that drive with studless winter tyres all year to try to save some money since it is technically allowed in Norway, but far from recommended.
And there are some that drive with all season tyres to save some money.
It all really depends on where you live. There are places where winter tires make absolutely no sense, as the temperatures never drop that low and it never snows. Where I live, I use winter tires in the winter and all-seasons for the rest of the seasons because there are times where it's hot during the day but drops below 8C at night, where summer tires start losing their grip. I thought of keeping 3 sets, winter, all-season, and summer, but haven't decided to do it, maybe if I was to start tracking the car regularly in the summer, but then I'd want lower profile tires, which are not great for horrible condition roads we have where I live (too many potholes, too easy to damage them).

Is it me, or is Tesla remaking the model 3 so they can reuse its parts for the someday Roaster?
View attachment 986947
I can totally see M3 headlights in the next Roadster. Probably a bunch of other parts too.
Most companies share lots of parts between car models, so it would not be surprising if some parts (whether obvious ones or hidden ones) were the same across various models. Having fewer different parts means less supply chain and inventory work to deal with.

It does seem odd that they did not unify the Model 3 and Y head and tail lamps earlier, since they are all physically interchangeable. As it is, there are different variants that require software settings if changed.