Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Highland - Demo Drive Thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was invited to an owner's demo of the Highland at the Jacksonville Service Center, so I jumped at the chance. It was cool to see about 30 other enthusiasts excited to give the car a spin. Wanted to share some thoughts:

Cabin Noise: I arrived in my 2023 M3 RWD, so the noise level was fresh in my mind when I did my test drive, and I can say without hesitation that the Highland is absolutely quieter. The sales team mentioned that the M3 was like a mini Model S with these upgrades, so I also test-drove a Model S Plaid after the highland to compare, and while it's not quite Model S quiet, it is close.

Stalks: It seems people either love or hate the lack of stocks. I was indifferent but instinctively reached for the turn signal. I don't imagine that it would take long to get used to not having the stalks.

Steering Wheel Buttons: Since I drove both the Highland and Model S, I was able to compare similar steering wheels; I preferred the Highland. The buttons move on the highland steering wheel, so you get the satisfaction of clicking a button. Blinkers were easy to reach, no issue accessing the wipers, and I liked having a dedicated button to view the cameras. When I thought I was accessing the voice control, I found out that the double click actually turns on autopilot; was not expecting that. Also, they did confirm that the middle area/airbag cover is the horn button.

Doors: I've read reviews about the door "thud" being improved and that was also part of the presentation. I guess it was different?

Wireless Charger: I was surprised and pleased to see that the wireless charger was able to charge my phone with my case on. A few other test drivers also commented on this, so they must have made some improvements here. Wireless charging is inconsistent in my 2023.

LED Lighting: A cool factor that my kids would absolutely love. I'm curious if I would want to keep them on at night... thinking it may be a distraction.

Trunk: Dual lifts and much quieter when moving. Per the sales team, it's 1 cuft larger.

Suspension: Certainly improved. I drove over a storm drain in both the highland, my 2023 M3, and the Model S. The highland and Model S felt very docile over the storm drain compared to my M3.

Styling: So this is certainly subjective. My two favorite styling changes are the rear Tesla badge and the wheel covers. I'm curious to see if the wheel covers would fit my 2023 model. The team at the service center was not sure, but the wheel underneath is certainly different, so I'm not sure.

Hope this is useful for someone. If the tax incentive was available on a purchase, I would probably be looking to upgrade.

IMG_1114.png

IMG_1113.png

IMG_1112.png

Demo Drive 2/6/2024

I took a demo drive today, I came away disappointed. I'm a first production 2018 Model 3 LR owner.

-My disappointment stems from the acceleration curve. The 0-30mph(yes 30, was not able to reach 60 due to speed limits) felt considerably slower than my 2018 which doesn't add up. Despite having all wheel drive, new, full charge, outdoor temps, etc. I tried coming up for reasons for this... maybe because the car is much quieter, maybe Tesla changed the 0-30 curve to prevent early tire wear, maybe it was just demo car issues.

Steering Wheel Buttons (Turn Signals) - Disappointed, but so close. It comes down to button travel. When you press it, it had a micro click so you know you activated it and a nice raised divider so you can rest your finger and know left and right. But the click is not enough. It feels like a broke button that has become 'sticky'.

Cabin Noise: Coming from a first run 18' Model 3, WOAH. It's amazingly quiet. Remember 2018 have single pane windows and so much more has improved.

Everything else OP has said I generally agree with. Due the demo I will be canceling my reservation and waiting for the performance and/or retrying a demo drive at a later time. It's an impressive vehicle, obviously a huge step up from my 18'. However, acceleration, my favorite part wasn't there.

UPDATE: 9:37PM, now that I think about it. I wonder if it was a RWD model 3 highland... that would make sense. They only had one and not all the staff had seen it yet. I only briefly glanced at the battery range, I want to say it said 273. Okay, I guess I'll need to do another test drive later.

Did interior doors looks like the OPs photo? If so, it was the RWD. The LR has Alcantara there.

edit: NM, I read lower and you confirmed it was RWD.

"My disappointment stems from the acceleration curve. The 0-30mph(yes 30, was not able to reach 60 due to speed limits) felt considerably slower than my 2018 which doesn't add up. Despite having all wheel drive, new, full charge, outdoor temps, etc. I tried coming up for reasons for this... maybe because the car is much quieter, maybe Tesla changed the 0-30 curve to prevent early tire wear, maybe it was just demo car issues".

Do you think hey might have set the car to "chill" in order to protect people who may not have experience driving Tesla cars from losing traction during hard acceleration?

I also drove a '24 Highland today - LR/Dual Motor.

I can verify that the car is QUICK, both from a dead stop and from a roll. Didn't feel all that much slower than my '22 Performance, as a matter of fact.

Car is definitely quieter and it seems to have slightly more body-roll upon initial turn-in than the '22 LR I rent regularly.

I was impressed overall.

Sheesh, am I an idiot. My apologies to all as I'd missed the first page of this thread and thus did not see the previous posts suggesting the possibility of chill mode. I was hurrying to beat the arrival of my dinner and should have chilled...

I drove a Highland yesterday and the ride is a TON smoother, and the rear climate control is a big improvement for rear passengers, but they did take away the middle seat heater, and...
- I think the interior materials seem cheaper, and I'm not a big fan of the LED wraparound lights.
- Lack of stalks were MAJOR PITA when driving and parking in a busy parking lot. I anticipated the blinkers would not be a problem, but the wheel is turned all over the place when you are in a parking lot. Also, parking switching gears is just harder in my opinion.

There are LOTS of improvements, and the cheaper interior, while it feels less luxurious, is something I think I'd overcome, but the lack of stalks would make EV-adoption just difficult IMO. Glad I got stalks. If buying today, no doubt we'd get a Model Y.

Here I posted videos: 2024 Highland M3 side-by-side comparison videos

A few additional thoughts:
  • the interior materials were a noticeable improvement over the previous model
  • the turn signals were something I'd get used to with time
  • shifting via the screen wasn't ideal
  • The ventilated seats were nice
  • The door-closing sound is far better - they sound solid like my previous Audis now, which is a good thing
I'm eagerly anticipating the Performance version.

A few additional thoughts:
  • the interior materials were a noticeable improvement over the previous model
  • the turn signals were something I'd get used to with time
  • shifting via the screen wasn't ideal
  • The ventilated seats were nice
  • The door-closing sound is far better - they sound solid like my previous Audis now, which is a good thing
I'm eagerly anticipating the Performance version.

I wonder what you thought of the comparison of the console sliding cover. I think my 2023 feels like much higher quality. I wasn't impressed with the cloth on the dash and doors. The Tesla rep made a point of letting me know higher end models get Alcantra or whatever that microfiber suede stuff is called. I hadn't commented on it before she did.

The 2023 seemed so simple with a clean steering wheel with only 2 rollers, but now it's cluttered with buttons and icons. The turn signals were certainly harder to find when in a parking lot, especially when you quickly want to signal you are taking an open spot or heading down this isle, etc. Wheel already turned, and you have to take your eyes off the landscape to find the turn signal. The SWIPE on the screen for Drive and Reverse should be replaced with Huge buttons IMO. The roof controls might be easier to use after getting used to them, but it might have been easier to just add "D" and "R" buttons to the steering wheel IMO. Maybe use the rollers Right and Left action for Drive and reverse or something. Virtual buttons for such important features seems wrong to me. Do the wipers and cruise or the camera buttons all need to be on the steering wheel?

No doubt, Suspension and climate controls are certainly improved. I'm not sure why they had to remove the center (bottom only) seat heater. That confirms the car is more of a 4-seater than a 5-seater. I'm glad we got the 2023 for stalks and the middle seat heater with 3 kids. Nobody wants the "bitch" seat in the middle. Removing the seat heater just makes it that much worse IMO. I guess they do have the best access to the center console screen. But for a family of 5 like mine, we would have had to go for the Model Y with stalks I think. With the Federal money, I bet the Y might even be cheaper in Inventory. But the RIDE of the new 2024 is notably smooth. THAT would be tough to turn down.

I wonder what you thought of the comparison of the console sliding cover. I think my 2023 feels like much higher quality. I wasn't impressed with the cloth on the dash and doors. The Tesla rep made a point of letting me know higher end models get Alcantra or whatever that microfiber suede stuff is called. I hadn't commented on it before she did.

The 2023 seemed so simple with a clean steering wheel with only 2 rollers, but now it's cluttered with buttons and icons. The turn signals were certainly harder to find when in a parking lot, especially when you quickly want to signal you are taking an open spot or heading down this isle, etc. Wheel already turned, and you have to take your eyes off the landscape to find the turn signal. The SWIPE on the screen for Drive and Reverse should be replaced with Huge buttons IMO. The roof controls might be easier to use after getting used to them, but it might have been easier to just add "D" and "R" buttons to the steering wheel IMO. Maybe use the rollers Right and Left action for Drive and reverse or something. Virtual buttons for such important features seems wrong to me. Do the wipers and cruise or the camera buttons all need to be on the steering wheel?

No doubt, Suspension and climate controls are certainly improved. I'm not sure why they had to remove the center (bottom only) seat heater. That confirms the car is more of a 4-seater than a 5-seater. I'm glad we got the 2023 for stalks and the middle seat heater with 3 kids. Nobody wants the "bitch" seat in the middle. Removing the seat heater just makes it that much worse IMO. I guess they do have the best access to the center console screen. But for a family of 5 like mine, we would have had to go for the Model Y with stalks I think. With the Federal money, I bet the Y might even be cheaper in Inventory. But the RIDE of the new 2024 is notably smooth. THAT would be tough to turn down.

I drove a Dual Motor, so it had the premium interior - it was my understanding that the RWD version's interior isn't as nice.

The center console is a "push" as far as I'm concerned. I like the cover for the cup holders on the newer version.

Not interested in a further re-hashing of the stalkless controls. I've already commented on that, and they are what they are. They're not gonna change so b*tching about it is pointless, IMHO.

This ☝️ would be utterly brilliant. R on top and D right under. One handed gear shift and no need to tap screen.

I think that putting the D and R control away was decided to avaoid pressing it accidently when driving.
Honestly, you only need it when you manoeuver to park, or to make a K-turn.

I try to remember, but I think reading that the car could be able to decide
in which direction you will go directly using the camera when you press on the brake pedal.

I think that putting the D and R control away was decided to avaoid pressing it accidently when driving.
Honestly, you only need it when you manoeuver to park, or to make a K-turn.

I try to remember, but I think reading that the car could be able to decide
in which direction you will go directly using the camera when you press on the brake pedal.
Hustling in a parking lot is the scenario I experienced, and anything permanent to touch would have been an improvement.

How is it that you think the car could decide which direction you want to go, but couldn't limit you from accidentally changing gears with the steering wheel? The 2023 car already prevents you from switching gears 99% of the time, only stopped with the foot on the brakes or rolling very slowly is it able to switch gears.

Just watched Doug Demuro review the 2024 Model 3. He verified with Tesla that the "Highland" term was never used by Tesla.

So where did this word come from?
I don’t know who or how Doug Demuro “verified” this, but it seems like nonsense to me.

I picked up my 2024 Model 3 RWD 1 week ago today, and as I was checking it over I found this factory sticker underneath the passenger side seat:

IMG_0455.jpeg

Not crazy about the front lights. I prefer the older ones.
Are we the only two humans to think this? Lol.

I find the old look more aggressive and Porsche looking vs the new slimmer ‘Japanese car’ (pick any manufacturer) look. New is cleaner looking and refreshed but perhaps more of an appliance/.

Rear tail I prefer the new style and diffuser.

Reactions: Cypcode