Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Highland - Demo Drive Thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was invited to an owner's demo of the Highland at the Jacksonville Service Center, so I jumped at the chance. It was cool to see about 30 other enthusiasts excited to give the car a spin. Wanted to share some thoughts:

Cabin Noise: I arrived in my 2023 M3 RWD, so the noise level was fresh in my mind when I did my test drive, and I can say without hesitation that the Highland is absolutely quieter. The sales team mentioned that the M3 was like a mini Model S with these upgrades, so I also test-drove a Model S Plaid after the highland to compare, and while it's not quite Model S quiet, it is close.

Stalks: It seems people either love or hate the lack of stocks. I was indifferent but instinctively reached for the turn signal. I don't imagine that it would take long to get used to not having the stalks.

Steering Wheel Buttons: Since I drove both the Highland and Model S, I was able to compare similar steering wheels; I preferred the Highland. The buttons move on the highland steering wheel, so you get the satisfaction of clicking a button. Blinkers were easy to reach, no issue accessing the wipers, and I liked having a dedicated button to view the cameras. When I thought I was accessing the voice control, I found out that the double click actually turns on autopilot; was not expecting that. Also, they did confirm that the middle area/airbag cover is the horn button.

Doors: I've read reviews about the door "thud" being improved and that was also part of the presentation. I guess it was different?

Wireless Charger: I was surprised and pleased to see that the wireless charger was able to charge my phone with my case on. A few other test drivers also commented on this, so they must have made some improvements here. Wireless charging is inconsistent in my 2023.

LED Lighting: A cool factor that my kids would absolutely love. I'm curious if I would want to keep them on at night... thinking it may be a distraction.

Trunk: Dual lifts and much quieter when moving. Per the sales team, it's 1 cuft larger.

Suspension: Certainly improved. I drove over a storm drain in both the highland, my 2023 M3, and the Model S. The highland and Model S felt very docile over the storm drain compared to my M3.

Styling: So this is certainly subjective. My two favorite styling changes are the rear Tesla badge and the wheel covers. I'm curious to see if the wheel covers would fit my 2023 model. The team at the service center was not sure, but the wheel underneath is certainly different, so I'm not sure.

Hope this is useful for someone. If the tax incentive was available on a purchase, I would probably be looking to upgrade.

IMG_1114.png

IMG_1113.png

IMG_1112.png

Doug Demuro is a crack-head, but his videos are informative. Especially the "quirks and features" segment is really the closest thing to checking out a car in real life that you can do on the internet. I've used it a lot in preliminary shopping/research. You just have to know how to cut through the BS and pay attention to the info you're actually watching for.

Are we the only two humans to think this? Lol.

I find the old look more aggressive and Porsche looking vs the new slimmer ‘Japanese car’ (pick any manufacturer) look. New is cleaner looking and refreshed but perhaps more of an appliance/.

Rear tail I prefer the new style and diffuser.

I found the rear center headrest in the new model to look just too darn weird to me. It doesn’t block the rear view, but it sure feels like it’s going to. The 2023 center headrest retracts, unlike the 2024. 2024 also lost center heater.

Here’s the 2024. See right side of pic.

DD7E666C-9D7C-4F65-AE4E-D907F24B05BE.png

Then my 2023 in rear view mirror. Being that you see it in the rear view mirror, you want to like what you see. I don’t like the 2024 fixed bubble headrest in center. Of course I’m always trying to find reasons to like what I’ve got too.
2AA611BD-2F87-4AA4-8D25-3CA3C57631F3.png

• Funny
Reactions: Cypcode
Cabin Noise: I arrived in my 2023 M3 RWD, so the noise level was fresh in my mind when I did my test drive, and I can say without hesitation that the Highland is absolutely quieter. The sales team mentioned that the M3 was like a mini Model S with these upgrades, so I also test-drove a Model S Plaid after the highland to compare, and while it's not quite Model S quiet, it is close.
What tires were on the Highland?

I think that putting the D and R control away was decided to avoid pressing it accidently when driving.
What happens if you use the stalk to switch into reverse while driving, say, 30 mph? I'm guessing nothing.

Before I stopped using the stalk to cancel FSD, I switched into reverse by mistake (while starting out) twice. Now I always cancel with a tap on the brakes. Anything to fix that is good.

I was invited to an owner's demo of the Highland at the Jacksonville Service Center, so I jumped at the chance. It was cool to see about 30 other enthusiasts excited to give the car a spin. Wanted to share some thoughts:

Stalks: It seems people either love or hate the lack of stocks. I was indifferent but instinctively reached for the turn signal. I don't imagine that it would take long to get used to not having the stalks.

Steering Wheel Buttons: Since I drove both the Highland and Model S, I was able to compare similar steering wheels; I preferred the Highland. The buttons move on the highland steering wheel, so you get the satisfaction of clicking a button. Blinkers were easy to reach, no issue accessing the wipers, and I liked having a dedicated button to view the cameras. When I thought I was accessing the voice control, I found out that the double click actually turns on autopilot; was not expecting that. Also, they did confirm that the middle area/airbag cover is the horn button.

Doors: I've read reviews about the door "thud" being improved and that was also part of the presentation. I guess it was different?

Wireless Charger: I was surprised and pleased to see that the wireless charger was able to charge my phone with my case on. A few other test drivers also commented on this, so they must have made some improvements here. Wireless charging is inconsistent in my 2023.

LED Lighting: A cool factor that my kids would absolutely love. I'm curious if I would want to keep them on at night... thinking it may be a distraction.

Trunk: Dual lifts and much quieter when moving. Per the sales team, it's 1 cuft larger.

Suspension: Certainly improved. I drove over a storm drain in both the highland, my 2023 M3, and the Model S. The highland and Model S felt very docile over the storm drain compared to my M3.

Styling: So this is certainly subjective. My two favorite styling changes are the rear Tesla badge and the wheel covers. I'm curious to see if the wheel covers would fit my 2023 model. The team at the service center was not sure, but the wheel underneath is certainly different, so I'm not sure.

Hope this is useful for someone. If the tax incentive was available on a purchase, I would probably be looking to upgrade.

View attachment 1015213
View attachment 1015214
View attachment 1015215
The new Model 3 looks great. I’m seriously considering leasing one at $299 a month. I think what they did with the doors, at least the front driver and passenger doors, is add this centering mechanism toward the bottom that aligns and seals the doors better. I think it’s a popular design feature with German vehicles. It gives the door a more solid thud.

Yep, I prefer the logo. Spelling it out makes letters stringing out across the trunk and mucking up the minimalist vibe.
I always thought the Tesla logo is one of the nicer logos in the automotive world.
Guess they just want to make sure ppl know it is a Tesla by spelling it out. Even the starting wheel is now spelled out.
The ioniq5 4 squares are geekily cool imho.