Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Highland - Demo Drive Thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was invited to an owner's demo of the Highland at the Jacksonville Service Center, so I jumped at the chance. It was cool to see about 30 other enthusiasts excited to give the car a spin. Wanted to share some thoughts:

Cabin Noise: I arrived in my 2023 M3 RWD, so the noise level was fresh in my mind when I did my test drive, and I can say without hesitation that the Highland is absolutely quieter. The sales team mentioned that the M3 was like a mini Model S with these upgrades, so I also test-drove a Model S Plaid after the highland to compare, and while it's not quite Model S quiet, it is close.

Stalks: It seems people either love or hate the lack of stocks. I was indifferent but instinctively reached for the turn signal. I don't imagine that it would take long to get used to not having the stalks.

Steering Wheel Buttons: Since I drove both the Highland and Model S, I was able to compare similar steering wheels; I preferred the Highland. The buttons move on the highland steering wheel, so you get the satisfaction of clicking a button. Blinkers were easy to reach, no issue accessing the wipers, and I liked having a dedicated button to view the cameras. When I thought I was accessing the voice control, I found out that the double click actually turns on autopilot; was not expecting that. Also, they did confirm that the middle area/airbag cover is the horn button.

Doors: I've read reviews about the door "thud" being improved and that was also part of the presentation. I guess it was different?

Wireless Charger: I was surprised and pleased to see that the wireless charger was able to charge my phone with my case on. A few other test drivers also commented on this, so they must have made some improvements here. Wireless charging is inconsistent in my 2023.

LED Lighting: A cool factor that my kids would absolutely love. I'm curious if I would want to keep them on at night... thinking it may be a distraction.

Trunk: Dual lifts and much quieter when moving. Per the sales team, it's 1 cuft larger.

Suspension: Certainly improved. I drove over a storm drain in both the highland, my 2023 M3, and the Model S. The highland and Model S felt very docile over the storm drain compared to my M3.

Styling: So this is certainly subjective. My two favorite styling changes are the rear Tesla badge and the wheel covers. I'm curious to see if the wheel covers would fit my 2023 model. The team at the service center was not sure, but the wheel underneath is certainly different, so I'm not sure.

Hope this is useful for someone. If the tax incentive was available on a purchase, I would probably be looking to upgrade.

IMG_1114.png

IMG_1113.png

IMG_1112.png

Demo Drive 2/6/2024

I took a demo drive today, I came away disappointed. I'm a first production 2018 Model 3 LR owner.

-My disappointment stems from the acceleration curve. The 0-30mph(yes 30, was not able to reach 60 due to speed limits) felt considerably slower than my 2018 which doesn't add up. Despite having all wheel drive, new, full charge, outdoor temps, etc. I tried coming up for reasons for this... maybe because the car is much quieter, maybe Tesla changed the 0-30 curve to prevent early tire wear, maybe it was just demo car issues.

Steering Wheel Buttons (Turn Signals) - Disappointed, but so close. It comes down to button travel. When you press it, it had a micro click so you know you activated it and a nice raised divider so you can rest your finger and know left and right. But the click is not enough. It feels like a broke button that has become 'sticky'.

Cabin Noise: Coming from a first run 18' Model 3, WOAH. It's amazingly quiet. Remember 2018 have single pane windows and so much more has improved.

Everything else OP has said I generally agree with. Due the demo I will be canceling my reservation and waiting for the performance and/or retrying a demo drive at a later time. It's an impressive vehicle, obviously a huge step up from my 18'. However, acceleration, my favorite part wasn't there.

UPDATE: 9:37PM, now that I think about it. I wonder if it was a RWD model 3 highland... that would make sense. They only had one and not all the staff had seen it yet. I only briefly glanced at the battery range, I want to say it said 273. Okay, I guess I'll need to do another test drive later.

Last edited:
Demo Drive 2/6/2024

I took a demo drive today, I came away disappointed. I'm a first production 2018 Model 3 LR owner.

-My disappointment stems from the acceleration curve. The 0-30mph(yes 30, was not able to reach 60 due to speed limits) felt considerably slower than my 2018 which doesn't add up. Despite having all wheel drive, new, full charge, outdoor temps, etc. I tried coming up for reasons for this... maybe because the car is much quieter, maybe Tesla changed the 0-30 curve to prevent early tire wear, maybe it was just demo car issues.

Steering Wheel Buttons (Turn Signals) - Disappointed, but so close. It comes down to button travel. When you press it, it had a micro click so you know you activated it and a nice raised divider so you can rest your finger and know left and right. But the click is not enough. It feels like a broke button that has become 'sticky'.

Cabin Noise: Coming from a first run 18' Model 3, WOAH. It's amazingly quiet. Remember 2018 have single pane windows and so much more has improved.

Everything else OP has said I generally agree with. Due the demo I will be canceling my reservation and waiting for the performance and/or retrying a demo drive at a later time. It's an impressive vehicle, obviously a huge step up from my 18'. However, acceleration, my favorite part wasn't there.

UPDATE: 9:37PM, now that I think about it. I wonder if it was a RWD model 3 highland... that would make sense. They only had one and not all the staff had seen it yet. I only briefly glanced at the battery range, I want to say it said 273. Okay, I guess I'll need to do another test drive later.
Not to be daft, but could it have been in chill mode? Is there still such a thing? And shouldn’t the AWD have the badging on the rear as such vs. the RWD not having the Dual Motor badging?

I've seen them on the streets here in California (near the factory) with MFG plates on. Saw a couple of brand new ones on a truck heading away from the factory. Perhaps more demo units(?).
I think for sure they are trying to move as many units as possible out to the retail locations and service centers, for DEMO drives. They have to probably have 2-3 at least per location overall to be able to accommodate new interested buyers.

I was at the local service center today and they had Highland demo cars. 2 long range and a RWD. Was able to do a demo drive the long range while I waited for service (potholes destroyed a wheel and a tire). I drive a 2019 Model 3 Performance.

The standout was definitely the quieter ride. It’s a significant difference and immediately noticeable.

I was also instinctively reaching for the left stalk for the turn signals. There was a single instance where the buttons became a problem: I made a right turn immediately followed by a left turn and couldn’t get to the button while turning this way. I also kept having to feel around to find the right spot to push the buttons. I found myself having to look at the wheel to hit the buttons correctly and that only helped a little. Minor complaints and not a showstopper for a purchase, but I’d prefer the stalk.

The turn signal turned off on me when I went into a turn lane. I guess it assumed it was a lane change instead of a turning lane.

When I push my stalk down a bit it signals 3 times and stops. I have to press all the way down to keep the signal on. That feature was missing from new wheel on the buttons or it wasn’t obvious how to activate it.

I felt the steering was “loose” (for lack of better word). Felt like a disconnect between turning the wheel and the car moving in the intended direction. it wasn’t a problem. It just felt different. I drive my car with “Comfort” setting for steering and matched that in the demo car.

The suspension felt nice, though. It was a smooth ride that matched the quietness. The car didn’t feel as heavy around a corner, but still took the corner well enough.

The glovebox is smaller. It closes with a very loud thunk. It sounds scary. I’m sure it’s fine. Not the most exciting or worrisome feature lol.

The backup heat map is very beta. It’s a mess. Interesting, but a mess. The backup camera is more clear and as easy to use as ever.

The automatic trunk is a nice feature I don’t currently have, but not new to Model 3’s.

The glass roof appeared a little less transparent.

The rear seats seem to be lifted higher or something. Felt like less headroom in the rear.

Maybe the ambient lighting is cooler in the nighttime. It’s okay. Could live with it or without. It’s a nice touch I guess.

It’s nice to have that rear screen. Would’ve been great when my kids were younger. Can lock it from the front screen and control what the kiddos watch and their volume independently. Might cause neck problems with people who have to look down at that screen. Idk Nice to have.

Tried the cooled seats feature. It seemed nice but hard to really judge when it’s 30-some °F outside lol. The seats are comfortable enough. Didn’t really notice much difference in comfort.

I think that sums up most of my thoughts. It was not apples-to-apples to my performance model. Will be interested to demo the Highland performance if/when that launches.

Attachments

• IMG_3206.jpeg
    IMG_3206.jpeg
    779.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3205.jpeg
    IMG_3205.jpeg
    874.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3204.jpeg
    IMG_3204.jpeg
    743.2 KB · Views: 40
I hopped in the RWD. It was at 100% charge and said 272 miles.

The Long Range I demoed was at 73% and had 271 miles. There was <100 miles on the odometer.

• Disagree
Reactions: tradosaurus
Contacted my local Tesla store(Schumburg, IL), only RWD demo cars right now. The demo I drove initially was at a Florida store on vacation. Makes sense that the initial cars are only RWD, but they need to make this clear. The rep said they will be getting in the long range versions soon and will call me back. Looking forward to taking it for a test drive and perhaps making a purchase.

Reactions: blancmik
Just drove a new highland this afternoon! :) Here are my thoughts:

• The suspension feels way more smooth and refined. Not being jostled around like before, no loud KER-THUNK as you drive over pavement cracks or potholes. Very noticeable difference in ride quality and suspension-related NVH. Wife also noticed it from the passenger seat. If the highland springs and shocks fit up onto older model 3's, I can see this being a VERY popular mod. Too bad swapping out all the bushings and whatnot would be a much bigger project.
  • Exterior looks are a win in my book. Obviously subjective, but yeah, it looks good. Not good enough to make the old ones look bad though, which is nice.
  • The interior feels like a downgrade--denim instead of leather/suede on the door inserts. Denim on the dash. It's fine, but for someone looking for upscale, it feels more economy. The ambient light is fun to play with, but pointless. Cooled seats work a helluva lot better than my old Lexus. Seats felt really firm compared to my 2019.
  • General road noise not emanating from the suspension and tires doesn't feel particularly diminished. I can still hear every other car on the road just like I could before.
  • TURN SIGNALLLLLSSSS!!!!!! What a terrible idea 👎👎👎👎
/cross-posted from another thread

Last edited: