Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 made with double glazing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some of us treehugger types in the US have triple-glazing, and believe me, they were heavy as can be, when installing.
IMG_9256.jpeg

Some of us treehugger types in the US have triple-glazing, and believe me, they were heavy as can be, when installing.
View attachment 602344
That is triple pane not triple glazing. These windows have no air gap in the middle. Just two panes of glass laminated together with some type of barrier/membrane in the middle. Exactly the same as your windshield has been for years.

• Informative
Reactions: Gasaraki and KenC
That is triple pane not triple glazing. These windows have no air gap in the middle. Just two panes of glass laminated together with some type of barrier/membrane in the middle. Exactly the same as your windshield has been for years.
Triple panes and triple glazing are not the same thing? Interesting. I've misunderstood that for 45 years, then.

As for the car's laminated glass windshield, I understand that; I was responding to Candleflame, who was talking about house windows in Europe.

According to St. Gobain, Tesla's Model 3 front windshield membrane is >PVB< laminated, which means it's their "acoustic" glass:
IMG_5801.jpeg

The recent updates seem to be about whether the side windows are laminated. Would be interesting if these could be retrofitted, presumably, with the appropriate adjustments to the regulators, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: NewbieT
From the 2nd line in wikipedia:
"A window with insulating glass is commonly known as double glazing or a double-paned window, triple glazing or a triple-paned window, or quadruple glazing or a quadruple-paned window, depending upon how many panes of glass are used in its construction."
Glazing and paned are interchangeable words, when applied to glass windows.