Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 Won’t Supercharge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all—took delivery of my SR+ this afternoon. It’s fantastic! One (rather important) thing, though: it doesn’t seem to want to supercharge. We were nearby and I figured I’d give it a go, entered my CC info, pulled up, plugged in, and... nada. Re-entered the CC and tried 3 or 4 more times to plug in, and still nothing. It was too late to call roadside assistance. I’ll go back in the morning and try again, but in the meantime, anyone else have some advice for troubleshooting? My guess it’s an account/billing issue. The stalls were operational and the car charges, they were supercharging it at the DC while I was getting my walk-thru today. Thanks all!

This may be a stupid suggestion but did you push the pug in hard? My first supercharge 5 years ago driving home from the factory and someone at the SC station had to show me to push it in hard as I was on the phone with Tesla venting that I couldn't get it to work :)

Reactions: Akikiki
Hi all—took delivery of my SR+ this afternoon. It’s fantastic! One (rather important) thing, though: it doesn’t seem to want to supercharge. We were nearby and I figured I’d give it a go, entered my CC info, pulled up, plugged in, and... nada. Re-entered the CC and tried 3 or 4 more times to plug in, and still nothing. It was too late to call roadside assistance. I’ll go back in the morning and try again, but in the meantime, anyone else have some advice for troubleshooting? My guess it’s an account/billing issue. The stalls were operational and the car charges, they were supercharging it at the DC while I was getting my walk-thru today. Thanks all!

Just curious, but how are you entering a CC at a Tesla Supercharger? I have never seen a CC reader at Tesla Supercharger.

Or perhaps are we talking enter a CC into your Tesla online account page? Or some 3rd party system? Or ???

If it was online there may be a delay as it rattles through Tesla's systems.

Last edited:
I am 100 percent certain that billing is not the issue.

The point of Tesla’s is frictionless charging network where you don’t need logins, emails, accounts, registrations and fumbling with that nonsense at 3:00 am somewhere with your family sleeping.

Only time SC is not supposed to work is if your car is deemed a salvage and off the grid.

The problem is elsewhere. You can be negative balance and still SC. Tesla can collect that eventually when you come for service.

When they were charging at the DC it was likely level 2 charging with a Tesla HPWC. The plug is the same but completely different kind of power delivery.

• Informative
Reactions: Sherlo
Well, there was a guy at the charger who swore he was legit, and he seemed trustworthy... ;). I entered it into the payments tab in my account. I logged in to do it right before starting to supercharge. I didn’t think there would be a delay, but perhaps there is?

OK. Does the CC you entered show up in your Tesla account on the site as a Payment Method?

The point of Tesla’s is frictionless charging network where you don’t need logins, emails, accounts, registrations and fumbling with that nonsense at 3:00 am somewhere with your family sleeping.

Only time SC is not supposed to work is if your car is deemed a salvage and off the grid.

The problem is elsewhere. You can be negative balance and still SC. Tesla can collect that eventually when you come for service.

When they were charging at the DC it was likely level 2 charging with a Tesla HPWC. The plug is the same but completely different kind of power delivery.
Well, hopefully I’ll clear it up tomorrow. It’s brand new so it’s definitely not salvage.

Yep, not a billing/account issue. I’ve charged several times without a CC on file. Suggest OP try a different SC

And I'd suggest that since it sounded as if the CC was just added, things may have not been enabled yet.

Did you give it another shot yet? I live a mile away and would be happy to stop over and take a look. Feel free to PM me.
Thanks, I really appreciate that! I think I’m in good shape, though. Went back a little while ago and it worked on the first try. Supercharged fairly slowly, but the battery was also pretty full full (70%), and it was busy so I was splitting with someone else for a good chunk of time. Took about 25 minutes to hit 85%.

Not sure why it didn’t work last night in either of the two stalls I tried, but I’d only had the car for about 6 hours so I’m going to chalk it up an account error. Thanks all, *really* appreciate the responses! Glad to be part of this Tesla community!

Reactions: byeLT4 and Big Earl