Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S Owner - So Excited!!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI Everyone, I am brand new owner of Model S and just took delivery this past Saturday. I have been reading a lot on the model S and if anyone has any first time owner suggestions/tips/tricks, please let me know. Also any suggestions on Tinting in the Houston area and how much I should expect to pay for window tinting. I did order car seats so I am probably going to legal black out on tinting all of the windows and especially the trunk window, Thanks in advance.

Welcome! I'm a pretty recent owner myself.

Here are a few things I have learned recently:
1.) Set up your Dash to your liking and get comfortable with it (You can adjust the left and right by holding down the scroll wheels and selecting the menu you want.

2.) Car Seats - You can find the third "over the seat" loop about halfway down the back of the rear seats. Look for a slit in the fabric. It isn't obvious but it's there.

3.) Take a drive to a super charger, just to try it out and understand the process. It was a worth while learning lesson to do that and to find a pay to charge charger when i didn't need it so that I knew how to make it work when i did.

4.) EZ-Pass - The black section on the windshield tot he right of your autopilot camera is meant for your EZ-Pass...but for some reason mine does not work. So currently I am using my rear window. Test and see.

Also any suggestions on Tinting in the Houston area and how much I should expect to pay for window tinting.

3M Crystalline Window Tint. Expect to pay $650-$800 for Sides, Pano Roof, back and Windshield. I put 40 on sides, back, top and 70 on Windshield. I have used this on five vehicles and getting ready to do my sixth.

Photosync is another good one. Marginally better in temp rejection. However, it is significantly more expensive. the 3M here in Atlanta was $675. To get the Photosync it was going to cost me $1,100. Clearly IMHO not worth the price difference.

SideView (resized).png

3M Crystalline Window Tint. Expect to pay $650-$800 for Sides, Pano Roof, back and Windshield. I put 40 on sides, back, top and 70 on Windshield. I have used this on five vehicles and getting ready to do my sixth.

Photosync is another good one. Marginally better in temp rejection. However, it is significantly more expensive. the 3M here in Atlanta was $675. To get the Photosync it was going to cost me $1,100. Clearly IMHO not worth the price difference.

View attachment 184985

You tinted the Pano roof? Never thought about doing that but it certainly makes sense to me. I have 3M Crystalline tint on my BMW and it really does a great job at blocking out the heat.

You tinted the Pano roof? Never thought about doing that but it certainly makes sense to me. I have 3M Crystalline tint on my BMW and it really does a great job at blocking out the heat.
Yes. I have done the sunroof/pano roof on all my installs. Tesla blocks a lot of stuff in their pano roof. The tinting provides additional heat rejection. The additional heat rejection is great.

Congrats on the new MS! I got mine last November and I swear the new car feeling has barely worn off with this amazing machine, hopefully you'll love it as much as I and many other enthusiast on here do!

I found the following link so helpful that I copied and pasted into my iPhone notes for quick reference, loads of great info!

OWNER'S MANUAL COMPANION | Tesla Motors

And definitely read up on charging etiquette, I'm noticing more and more new owners that are oblivious to the world of EV charging etiquette, whether at a super charger or destination chargers.

And don't forget to look into clear wrapping your hood and front of your MS before you get rock chips into that new paint job, I unfortunately waited a little too long but still feel like it was totally worth the $$$.

Enjoy your new MS and welcome!