Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S Plaid/LR. whistling wind noise at 79+ MPH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just put the pilot sport all season 4’s on my 19” plaid. Same exact vibration, same exact speeds 42-45mph. Feel it in accelerator pedal and steering yoke.

only have about less than a 100 miles on the tires, but so far, very nice. Grippy and pretty quiet.

So has anyone figured out a solution for the wind noise? Just got my MS back from a second service where they replaced the belt seal and performed smoke test to ensure window is sealed. I am still noticing the whistling at highway speeds. Starting to think that its just an engineering flaw where something outside the window (sideview mirror or door trim perhaps) is causing the noise. Its just super frustrating and distracting. Only solution is to keep music blasting for now…

Reactions: chrisdh79
Munro’s youtube channel mentioned it’s the rear passenger-side door’s weatherstripping not being adhered. i would watch that first tear down episode (before they put it on the lift) to see.

not sure what a belt seal is. or where, so maybe it’s what munro already pointed out?

Munro’s youtube channel mentioned it’s the rear passenger-side door’s weatherstripping not being adhered. i would watch that first tear down episode (before they put it on the lift) to see.

not sure what a belt seal is. or where, so maybe it’s what munro already pointed out?

My issue is definitely at the driver side front door. I thought it was from the little triangle window but after taping all around it the issue was still there. I hope that someone figures out a solution!

Is it in the "kick off and front removal video"? Maybe I missed it. The noise I heard definitely sounds like it's from the rear passenger side, so I looked there but never saw anything. Maybe I'm yanking on the wrong piece

Has anyone found a real solution to the “wind whistle” that occurs around the driver side window?? Well documented on others youtube reviews but haven’t found a solution yet. It becomes apparent at 70+ MPH and is super annoying! I have already had my entire door seal replaced but it still occurs. I am wondering now whether the driver side mirror is creating the sound…there are small gaps around the top assembly (where the mirror pivots) that I suppose could cause the noise.

Has anyone found a real solution to the “wind whistle” that occurs around the driver side window?? Well documented on others youtube reviews but haven’t found a solution yet. It becomes apparent at 70+ MPH and is super annoying! I have already had my entire door seal replaced but it still occurs. I am wondering now whether the driver side mirror is creating the sound…there are small gaps around the top assembly (where the mirror pivots) that I suppose could cause the noise.
Painter’s tape around the triangle window. If that stops it, have the SC replace or realign this piece.

• Informative
Reactions: yerEVan
Yeah I have the same issue. It just seems the wind noise is louder on the passenger side in general. And w/ speed >79mph (sometimes in the mid 70s depends on the wind), the whistle starts to kick in. it sounds like it's from the rear passenger trunk area. I already tried to tape up various spots on the trunk that are misaligned but so far the whistle is still there.

Have a service appointment next week, this will be one of the ~50 issues I found since getting my LR two weeks ago. I am sure they gonna love me for it. lol.

Yeah I have the same issue. It just seems the wind noise is louder on the passenger side in general. And w/ speed >79mph (sometimes in the mid 70s depends on the wind), the whistle starts to kick in. it sounds like it's from the rear passenger trunk area. I already tried to tape up various spots on the trunk that are misaligned but so far the whistle is still there.

Have a service appointment next week, this will be one of the ~50 issues I found since getting my LR two weeks ago. I am sure they gonna love me for it. lol.
Yea I am starting to self diagnose my wind whistle this week. I am actually thinking it may be from the sideview mirror…little gaps on the side and bottom of the assembly make me think that once the wind force is high enough and at the right angle, that whistle noise is created. I already had the door belt seal replaced and steamed - noticed earlier this week that even with the window rolled down I can hear the whistle and already taped up the area around the triangle window and still hear the whistle. Will report back once I tape up the gaps around the mirror…

Reactions: paulchou

Did the sideview mirror test and still got the whistle. Going to try the a-pillar next...

Reactions: paulchou
Any new updates from anyone? Tonight I literally taped up every gap around the trunk, the black triangle glass, and pretty much anything I can think of towards the rear of the car, but none of that seem to affect the whistle at all, which is still there at around 80mph. I am out of ideas...

Any new updates from anyone? Tonight I literally taped up every gap around the trunk, the black triangle glass, and pretty much anything I can think of towards the rear of the car, but none of that seem to affect the whistle at all, which is still there at around 80mph. I am out of ideas...
I have done the same with the exception of the a pillar…this is driving me crazy!!

Progress!

So today I had a friend of mine driving while I climbed to the trunk hunting for noise. I am now fairly certain the whistle came from the very back of the trunk, near the rear license plate area. I inspected the area and I noticed there's an open gap around the backup camera - that is now suspect #1. Other potential suspects include external trunk latch, and rear license screw holder. Bottomline, I suspect the area right below the T E S L A letters, the underside where the trunk lights/latch/backup camera are (or maybe even the T E S L A plastic piece itself?) It kinda make sense as there might be swirls of wind behind the car that spins in the clock wise direction, if the car is facing left. This would also explain why all my previous efforts at taping up everything else made ZERO impact on this whistling noise whatsoever.

Anyhow, might not have time to test out my own theory in the next few days, but others are welcome to test it out!