Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S Plaid/LR. whistling wind noise at 79+ MPH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had the trunk alignment fixed by body shop. Haven’t heard the whistle since then.
That's awesome. They just spent a week getting the rear glass re-aligned (cut it out and re-adjusted it), and the noise is still there. They didn't do anything to the trunk itself allegedly, but the service guy did visually inspect everything and didn't notice an issue.

Back to the drawing board. I'll tape up different areas over time and see if it matters. May try that air blow gun thing over the holidays and see if any seals anywhere do anything.

Are you sure it’s coming from the rear? I just had my front passenger triangle window replaced for wind noise at 70+. Seems to have fixed it.
That's what I'm starting to wonder. It feels like it's from the rear, but it's high-pitched so it's possible my perception of it is just wrong. My next step will be to get a passenger or two and have them sit in the back seat and see if I'm right/wrong.

How did you figure out that was the problem? Was it visually obvious or is there some other test you could do?

That's what I'm starting to wonder. It feels like it's from the rear, but it's high-pitched so it's possible my perception of it is just wrong. My next step will be to get a passenger or two and have them sit in the back seat and see if I'm right/wrong.

How did you figure out that was the problem? Was it visually obvious or is there some other test you could do?
@omarsultan had the same issue and pointed me in that direction. So I just asked Tesla to replace that glass and they did. It was pretty loud.

Now, I also have motor whine (high pitch) at 65mph exactly that I don’t love. Thankfully I just accelerate to 66mph+ and it goes away. But that sound does my head in. You can’t hear it with music or anything, thankfully, but man… I thought my sensitivity to high pitches would have reduced with age. But…nope.

Did you replace the whole triangle glass or just the trim piece? My triangle trim piece is loose and not adhered properly
The whole triangle glass. It comes as an assembly. In your case you might just need a new gasket around it versus the whole window. If the window is loose, you’ll want a new window.

Attachments

• FF8AB8A9-A3C7-4E03-95FA-F8D01E689C35.png
    FF8AB8A9-A3C7-4E03-95FA-F8D01E689C35.png
    185.1 KB · Views: 120
@omarsultan had the same issue and pointed me in that direction. So I just asked Tesla to replace that glass and they did. It was pretty loud.

Now, I also have motor whine (high pitch) at 65mph exactly that I don’t love. Thankfully I just accelerate to 66mph+ and it goes away. But that sound does my head in. You can’t hear it with music or anything, thankfully, but man… I thought my sensitivity to high pitches would have reduced with age. But…nope.
I wonder if the root cause of the whine might be similar to the root cause of the 42-45mph vibration? The mobile tech suggested this is due to the new motors being controller poles based and not 3-phase like the 3/Y. Since yours just appeared, that might not explain the whine.

I wonder if the root cause of the whine might be similar to the root cause of the 42-45mph vibration? The mobile tech suggested this is due to the new motors being controller poles based and not 3-phase like the 3/Y. Since yours just appeared, that might not explain the whine.
My motor high pitch at 65mph has been there since day 1 (noticed it on the way home). It’s similar to other high-pitched noises I’ve heard on other Teslas at specific speeds, and just the nature of electric motors. The rental 2018 Model 3 LR I had while the Plaid was having its battery swapped out had this issue at exactly 45mph. My 2019 Model 3 Performance actually didn’t have any high-pitch at a specific speed that my ears picked up on.

@jebinc was able to have Tesla just replace the rubber gasket around that window piece, thereby not needing a new window. That may solve your issue.

And they adjusted the gasket around the body frame, so the interface between the door and the frame rubber sealed perfectly. Appearantly, the mirror frame deformed the frame gasket due to the frame gasket being misaligned. I was given a complete walkthrough of how it works and is supposed to work.

• Helpful
Reactions: WilliamG
OK so i think the whining came back or maybe never left. I mentioned i had the trunk realigned and it went away but i think i was mistaken. Also, my steering yoke also vibrates almost exactly at 45Mph, including the accelerator. So weird.

Ignore my dumb response your saying it does it with a completely different set of tires.
hmmmm🤪
Consider it done. There is another thread discussing the issue and fix, which is halfshaft replacement. This problem has plagued the model S since 2013 and never fixed by Tesla.