Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S Review on IGN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The other comparison between the model S and an Iphone i think is appropriate: Before the iphone I would have completely laughed at the idea of spending more than $100 on a cell phone. I doubt I ever spent anything actually beyond what the carrier was subsidizing. But now if my phone broke I would drive directly to a store an pay $400-$600 immediately to replace it, it is so essential. Once you get the utility of a smartphone you change your priorities around to afford the expensive phone. I think the same thing is happening with the Tesla Model S. People who would NEVER have bought an $80k car are stretching to get a Tesla.

Congrats on the great review/essay + video segments. Each of your videos was a fresh perspective on the Model S.

Too bad there is so much misinformation about the vehicle in the comments section, but that seems to be the norm on most sites. Great work!

Congrats on the great review/essay + video segments. Each of your videos was a fresh perspective on the Model S.

Too bad there is so much misinformation about the vehicle in the comments section, but that seems to be the norm on most sites. Great work!

Thanks DSJ and everyone for the kind words!

And a pro tip about the Comments: it gets a bit better if you sort them by "Best" instead of Newest or Oldest. That way the most up-voted ones bubble to the top, which are usually either mine or a positive comment.

I did also write a monstrous 3,500-word written review too if anyone is curious. Here's a link to that (and it has both the video review and the other 3 videos from earlier in the week embedded in it; it's a one-stop shop! :smile: )

Great written review, too, Ryan. (I haven't watched the final video review yet, but I'm sure it matched the previous ones in quality--all great.)

I'm glad you touched on a few of the car's minor shortcomings. Well, I don't even consider most of them shortcomings, but still, nothing is perfect; it's good to cover the wrinkles along with the smooth parts.

One frustrating, recurring theme in the comment thread and in comment threads all over the 'net is: "Well, I can't afford a $100K car!" Sigh. ;-) The base car is 2/3 that--yes, still not "cheap"--but reviewers get a fully-loaded car; despite pointing out the car's base price, people don't seem to notice, and just focus on the review model, as if the base car was unworthy. So untrue, at least with the Model S! The fully-loaded car impresses reviewers, thus also readers, but IMHO this approach kinda hurts Tesla, as much as it helps. (I suspect other carmakers also go this route...?) My car was under $100K, and some have spent quite a bit less than $100K on their Model S. Not everyone needs every option.

Related to that, since it's a pet peeve of mine, sorry, IMHO this part of the review is unclear/misleading. You don't say this, but the way it's written IMHO implies you need a car like the test car to get the max range. This could be a lot clearer, but probably contributes to "I can't afford $100 K!" comments:

My almost-fully-loaded $101,820 test car looked especially slick with its luscious multi-coat red paint job, biggest-range 265-mile EPA-rated battery Tesla offers, Performance package, Tech package (GPS navigation, Xenon headlights, power rear liftgate, and more), 21-inch wheels, and a panoramic glass roof. It’s a long way to go from the $63,570 base price, for sure, and whether or not you’d want the cheaper version with the smaller, 200-mile battery is debatable. It all depends on your driving habits.

Also, your $63,570 price confuses me. Tesla's Model S Options page shows $62,400 for the 60 kWh battery and $72,400 for the 85 kWh battery. Where's the extra $1,170 come from?

Anyway, my nit-picking over my pet peeves aside ;-), I repeat: Great review!

P.S. And yes, I kept a VERY close eye on the Comments for each article/video and did my best to steer the conversations in a positive direction. Amazingly, it seemed to work rather well!

Your participation in and handling of the comments is very good; that seems all too rare on most sites, so: Kudos to you and IGN.

as if the base car was unworthy.
I believe the reason that reviewers are generally provided a full-up vehicle is because it gives the reviewer the opportunity to evaluate all the facilities available on the vehicle, rather than providing an incomplete review.

Having said that, I think it would be another interesting differentiator for Tesla to consider providing two vehicles for future official reviewers. One topped out as they have been, and one "bargain basement" vehicle. If they had done this long ago with a 40[/60], this would have turned a lot of heads and changed a lot of minds about the price points.