Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"new" Model S wheels/tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
Does anyone know if the 2012-2020 Model S wheels/tires will fit the 'new' one?

I'm more a fan of the older wheels I had on my 2013, than the newer ones.

Just curious if they are the same size/specs.

I like to plan ahead ;)

CyberTruck on order, but if I don't like it (test drive first!), I plan on the new S at some point. Love my X, but after owning all 3, the S was my fav. That or I get the truck + talk my wife into a S.

Does anyone know if the 2012-2020 Model S wheels/tires will fit the 'new' one?

I'm more a fan of the older wheels I had on my 2013, than the newer ones.

Just curious if they are the same size/specs.

I like to plan ahead ;)

CyberTruck on order, but if I don't like it (test drive first!), I plan on the new S at some point. Love my X, but after owning all 3, the S was my fav. That or I get the truck + talk my wife into a S.
Probably not.. Well, the bolt pattern of 5x120 looks the same so they’ll prob fit on the car. You’d need spacers though otherwise they won’t look right.
The 19s on the current S are 19x8” (245-45-19) and the 19” wheels on the refresh apparently are staggered: 19x8.5” front 255-45-19 and 19x10” rear (give or take .5”.) with 285-40-19.
The 21s on the current S are 21x8.5” front 245-35-21 and 21x9” rear 265-35-21. The 21s on the refresh appear to be 21x9” front 265-35-21 and 21x10-10.5” rear 295-35.
We don’t have official numbers from Tesla but I’m sure about the front sizes and I’m 80% sure about the rear.

They will fit but will look really tucked in the front since supposedly the front of the car is wider. The rears will look the same since the rear of the car isn’t wider, this can easily be fixed with a set of spacers, or if you don’t care that much run the old tires just fine.

Be very careful running spacers. The lug bolts need at least 3 full turns of thread and while I haven't measured, I would guess Tesla bolts are the 'correct' length, and not 1/2" longer than needed. Or buy all new lug bolts. You really need a rim with the correct offset and I don't think anyone knows the offset on the new cars.

Reactions: Drew-MS
Be very careful running spacers. The lug bolts need at least 3 full turns of thread and while I haven't measured, I would guess Tesla bolts are the 'correct' length, and not 1/2" longer than needed. Or buy all new lug bolts. You really need a rim with the correct offset and I don't think anyone knows the offset on the new cars.
7+ turns is the minimum recommended thread engagement length. 3 would be irresponsible.

Reactions: electricar
I certainly won't argue 7 is better, everyone has their opinion and yours is probably a better rule, or more threads than the diameter of the bolt. Just be aware you need the bolts to be plenty long and they likely are not if you add spacers.

They will fit but will look really tucked in the front since supposedly the front of the car is wider. The rears will look the same since the rear of the car isn’t wider, this can easily be fixed with a set of spacers, or if you don’t care that much run the old tires just fine.
This is incorrect. The front and rear are definitely wider. Tesla confirms it right on the site.

Attachments

• E5D8393D-FAF3-433D-BD69-7DAAA2FBF609.png
    E5D8393D-FAF3-433D-BD69-7DAAA2FBF609.png
    533.2 KB · Views: 198
This is incorrect. The front and rear are definitely wider. Tesla confirms it right on the site.
I know the front is definitely wider, the rear most likely isn’t. You can already for a 285 width tire on the rear with the correct offset. Plus all the pics of the facelift look like only the front was widened. But I am just going off of all these pics well know for sure when the cars are delivered. To answer the OP question, yes they’ll fit, will they look dinky maybe?

I know the front is definitely wider, the rear most likely isn’t. You can already for a 285 width tire on the rear with the correct offset. Plus all the pics of the facelift look like only the front was widened. But I am just going off of all these pics well know for sure when the cars are delivered. To answer the OP question, yes they’ll fit, will they look dinky maybe?
I’m not speculating about whether it’s wider. If you look at my attachment in the post above, from Tesla’s website: “together with a wider body and chassis, these elements help......”. Based on this info, I’m sticking with it’s wider (front and rear) 👍

I’m not speculating about whether it’s wider. If you look at my attachment in the post above, from Tesla’s website: “together with a wider body and chassis, these elements help......”. Based on this info, I’m sticking with it’s wider 👍
It doesn't specify if both front and rear are wider or one or the other.. that's where the speculation is

I think it's clear they have wider wheels and rubber that's pushed farther out. I'm not completely convinced any sheet metal has been moved though. If Tesla went through the effort of new stampings for all 4 fenders, then I'd be in favor of making it obvious.

Reactions: Drew-MS
Saw those too, but with different lenses and angles a car can look massively different. Would be great if they widened the car at all four corners though, would definitely look really mean.
Fair enough.. My speculation came from a combination of three things: Tesla saying the refresh is wider, the wider front 19" and 21" wheels, and the picture of the two rear Model S. In reality, until a customer takes delivery, most here (including me) are speculating.

Last edited:
Reactions: pabla
Forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere.

Plaid: “When equiped with the proper wheels and tires available Fall 2021”

I guess it could mean you can only achieve the advertised time if you buy the future combo tire/wheel upgrade?

Attachments

• 841D3511-426C-430F-8B7C-735B29CCE0E8.jpeg
    841D3511-426C-430F-8B7C-735B29CCE0E8.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 144
Forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere.

Plaid: “When equiped with the proper wheels and tires available Fall 2021”

I guess it could mean you can only achieve the advertised time if you buy the future combo tire/wheel upgrade?
You can only achieve the advertised ‘200mph’ top speed if equipped with different tires. The plaid will probably be limited to a top speed of 160ish until the special tires are installed. Most probably don’t need to go 200 so no need for me to buy special tires.