Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model X key fobs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About to pick up two. Has anybody had success getting these to work with the legacy X? I have a 2016.

Looks like PN P1621003
Yea I have the older style 2018 X and one of my fobs just died, would love a new one for less money. They are pricey direct from Tesla. It's not the bluetooth kind sadly, I need the old style. Will these work?

Reactions: Lambeck2
OK got your message but need to be clear there are two types of Fobs for Model X. The recent kind that uses Blutetooh LE that is super easy to pair (It's a menu option in the car) and the original kind that can only be programmed by Tesla. They are two separate kinds of hardware. I'm not sure exactly when they made the switch to the BluetoothLE style, but I think it's with the recent refreshed model S/X, when the vehicles started to be sold with a chrome delete.

Do you have the older style FOBS that can only be programmed by Tesla for sale? And has anyone had luck getting Tesla to program them? I messaged Tesla directly in service and they quoted me a price just over $200 for an original, pre-refresh style Model X fob, fob battery, and programming of said fob to my car. The new style is not compatible with the old style and vice versa. They are each unique hardware.

Although on the invoice, they listed programming of fob as a separate item for only $21, which gives me hope you might be able to bring your own and have them do it cheaply. So if these fobs do work with the old style cars this would be a great deal. If they do not work, what is your return policy?

Last edited:
No the ones i have you can self program. Someone even posted the video on how to in one of my threads. I know what you mean because I’ve had people with the newer models already purchase. This not my first time selling these, i know what they are

No the ones i have you can self program. Someone even posted the video on how to in one of my threads. I know what you mean because I’ve had people with the newer models already purchase. This not my first time selling these, i know what they are
Lol, you know what these are, but I don't, which is the problem. I suspect you are selling these, which are not compatible with my vehicle. And so far everyone who has bought one has a car that uses the refresh style bluetoothLE keys. (Also known as the phone key) This applies to refresh Model S/X, and all Model 3/Y. I don't doubt that these work, I just need to be sure they will work with my vehicle, which is the OLD style that you can't self program, doesn't use a phone key, has no keycard etc. Your message to me said it will work, but I am doubtful they will.

The video example you mention shows the newer vehicle key, not the older style.

Lol, you know what these are, but I don't, which is the problem. I suspect you are selling these, which are not compatible with my vehicle. And so far everyone who has bought one has a car that uses the refresh style bluetoothLE keys. (Also known as the phone key) This applies to refresh Model S/X, and all Model 3/Y. I don't doubt that these work, I just need to be sure they will work with my vehicle, which is the OLD style that you can't self program, doesn't use a phone key, has no keycard etc.

The video example you mention shows the newer vehicle key, not the older style.
You want me to argue that they do? If you have that much doubt then don’t purchase. I’m literally telling you someone purchased a key with that same model

You want me to argue that they do? If you have that much doubt then don’t purchase. I’m literally telling you someone purchased a key with that same model
Hi, I'm not arguing, I do believe these are working keys. Just not for older X. Even in your first post you say they are for refreshed Model X.
I do not see anyone who has a pre-2021 Model X posting they they have managed to get it to work. If so please share.