Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model X Purchase Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my Model X but experience many things to share. I drove BM in 10 years until now decide to own Tesla. The sales are very kind and patient for every questions. The thing is changed when picking up Model X at Fremont delivery center. The staff is mean and asked me to watch Youtube for even basic driving skills and my car upgraded options. The new car has the problem to open the passenger side door. The staff just warned me resell the car. The plastic pad attached to that door is wore out with two big wear-out areas. I felt my patience and asked them fix. Eventually, those two issues have been fixed for couple hours and told me the sealed rubber is not stick to the car firmly to cause the door cannot open. He eventually don't want to show me the options of my car and anything come with the car even the car fobs. Next day, I call customer service to figure out the potable car charge inside front trunk.

I wonder how Tesla manages the customer department and used the wear-out parts in brand new car. I have my MB cars for a decade and never experience the customer service ignore or such worse attitude. MB has the big bonus for highest survey feedback after service and you can call the dealer or MB directly to complaint any concern.

Tesla QA and manufacture does not work like luxury car company. Many details are not doing well. For instance, the rubbers attached to windows are not sheared nicely. I have to use my scissor to trim them all. I could not image it happens at MB or BMW cars.

I felt that guy might be exceptional. So tried Santa Row shop and one sales help me explain the details of the car. He said he is busy and cannot help me more. It is not too bad but still is not good service experience.

Is there any survey for Tesla to follow up the service experience and cars' issues?

One more thing is that Model X 75D miles range is 237Miles but only can charge 180Miles for daily use. It is still a drawback.

The good things are very similar like driving my MB cars even gear switch, mirror setting, etc. The car is good so far but the service and manufacture are not satisfied.

Tesla's are not luxury cars. Also, if you have your daily charge limit set to 180 than that's what it will charge to, if you want to charge it to max you can but what is the point if you are driving it that far daily.

And you will be a survey and they do read them.

Is new Model X now using Model 3 battery or not?

I am using the super charging station so it is inconvenient to charge so often. If you own the car with 237Miles, you should address only 180Miles for daily charge in car's spec.

I did not take a photo at the time. It is not a big issue if they can replace the new material to me. Just surprised how the manufacture procedures are and how QA guys work there.

I can see the delivery center few guys sitting behind doing nothing when other staffs are extremely busy.

Model X and S share same battery architecture ..diff than Model 3 ..you can set charge limit to whatever you want on the center console ...it is recommended for daily driving you leave max 90%. If you don’t have access to charging facilities at home no issue charging to 100% but you don’t want to do that often ..the Tesla experience is definitely different than from MB or BMW

I've said it a million times. When I waited 7 weeks between ordering my car and getting it, I read every TMC post about my car and watched every youtube video.

Basically anyone who spent 1 hour on this forum knows you only charge to 90% daily. And does it bother you that you only get ~180 miles of daily driving range in one charge? how much are you driving? Try to get out of the gasoline mentality where you think you have to fill your tank full everyday.

I guess I'm the only one who does research on my $90k purchases. #shrug

I could not sign up for TMC until I figured it out this morning. The delivery guy told me charge 180Miles for daily use. 90% of 237Miles is about 210Miles. It makes sense to me. At least, the range still is matter for most of us.

One more thing is that Model X has the auto parking or some option needed for this feature. Thanks.

To be fair, it sounds like he has a pretty awful delivery experience and the staff there wasn't helpful at all. Then again, it sounds like the Fremont delivery center is the worst place to pick up the car as they're super busy and don't really give you a good experience.

@cseem it sounds like you have a lot of open questions about your vehicle. I'd recommend reading over all of the posts on this forum and then ask questions if you still have them. People here are very helpful

Reactions: Spelly88 and Anzir
This is not a case of requiring ass kissing or unrealistic expectations. He may not have the best way of putting his experience in words but he should have had a more comprehensive delivery experience than "go to Youtube." Although a Tesla is a car, it is a wholly unique driving experience with technology that you won't find in many other makes. It requires a proper delivery experience, not an assembly line delivery and a pat on the back with "off you go, now." The OP is just guilty of expecting a car delivery that Tesla used to offer a few years back before they became volume-heavy. Not his fault.

This is not a case of requiring ass kissing or unrealistic expectations. He may not have the best way of putting his experience in words but he should have had a more comprehensive delivery experience than "go to Youtube." Although a Tesla is a car, it is a wholly unique driving experience with technology that you won't find in many other makes. It requires a proper delivery experience, not an assembly line delivery and a pat on the back with "off you go, now." The OP is just guilty of expecting a car delivery that Tesla used to offer a few years back before they became volume-heavy. Not his fault.

No, it's exactly a case of expectations not being met. Show me the law that Tesla is required to kiss your ass when you pick up your car? I've never seen this type of nonsense discussed with any other car dealer/brand. I think it would almost be a unanimous opinion that buying a car the old way is a NIGHTMARE. The implication that Tesla wouldn't answer a question in how to operate the vehicle on a basic driving level is ridiculous.

The last car I bought from a dealer before our Model X was a BMW. I knew exactly what car I wanted out of a possible Two. We test drove back to back, decided which one we wanted then spent 3-4 HOURS sitting at a desk doing paperwork.

Now, here is what I always find funny about dealerships. They sell you on how great the car is right up until the moment the sales contract is signed. They then flip the switch and start trying to convince you that the car is a POS and you are taking a great risk not buying thousands of dollars of extra extended coverage etc. think about that.

If you don't like the Tesla experience, take a hike back to the other brands and suffer through that experience PLEASE.

I've had nothing but great treatment from every Tesla employee I've encountered, but that's most likely due to them meeting my expectations which is to sell me a car, not tell me how great I am.

My wife had a funny experience at service not long ago, she pulled in after another lady had been there for a bit dropping her car off. This other lady had the "you better kiss my ass" attitude and was throwing a fit about everything. My wife kindly discussed the issues with our car then waited to get a loaner. The employee quietly asked my wife if she would mind walking around the side of the building to get the last Tesla loaner so the rude woman didn't see it. Rude woman got to drive a POS gas loaner. KARMA.

My wife was also told how much it was appreciated that she treated everyone kindly.

Get over yourself people, you're not special no matter how many times you tell yourself differently.

The nonsense that model 3 buyers won't be as patient with issues as model S/X owners are is code for "they are poor trash that are not as good as me and can't control their emotions".

I've seen the exact same attitudes, good and bad, that I see with Model S/X owners. Some people are just miserable and entitled, doesn't matter which car they can afford or choose to buy.

No, it's exactly a case of expectations not being met. Show me the law that Tesla is required to kiss your ass when you pick up your car? I've never seen this type of nonsense discussed with any other car dealer/brand. I think it would almost be a unanimous opinion that buying a car the old way is a NIGHTMARE. The implication that Tesla wouldn't answer a question in how to operate the vehicle on a basic driving level is ridiculous.

The last car I bought from a dealer before our Model X was a BMW. I knew exactly what car I wanted out of a possible Two. We test drove back to back, decided which one we wanted then spent 3-4 HOURS sitting at a desk doing paperwork.

Now, here is what I always find funny about dealerships. They sell you on how great the car is right up until the moment the sales contract is signed. They then flip the switch and start trying to convince you that the car is a POS and you are taking a great risk not buying thousands of dollars of extra extended coverage etc. think about that.

If you don't like the Tesla experience, take a hike back to the other brands and suffer through that experience PLEASE.

I've had nothing but great treatment from every Tesla employee I've encountered, but that's most likely due to them meeting my expectations which is to sell me a car, not tell me how great I am.

My wife had a funny experience at service not long ago, she pulled in after another lady had been there for a bit dropping her car off. This other lady had the "you better kiss my ass" attitude and was throwing a fit about everything. My wife kindly discussed the issues with our car then waited to get a loaner. The employee quietly asked my wife if she would mind walking around the side of the building to get the last Tesla loaner so the rude woman didn't see it. Rude woman got to drive a POS gas loaner. KARMA.

My wife was also told how much it was appreciated that she treated everyone kindly.

Get over yourself people, you're not special no matter how many times you tell yourself differently.

The nonsense that model 3 buyers won't be as patient with issues as model S/X owners are is code for "they are poor trash that are not as good as me and can't control their emotions".

I've seen the exact same attitudes, good and bad, that I see with Model S/X owners. Some people are just miserable and entitled, doesn't matter which car they can afford or choose to buy.
A lot of truth in what you said. That wasn’t the vibe I got from the OP but I do think you’ve pointed out some other experiences that have happened in the past.

This post is also a helpful reminder to me, as I sometimes compare myself to model 3 owners which is a very dangerous thing to do.

Sorry buddy, but the only attitude I see in this thread is from you, not the OP. If you actually responded in this thread the way you said your wife presented herself in the dealership perhaps you would actually contribute something of value. Bashing the OP and telling him to go to other brands is exactly why this forum is characterized as being overrun by fanboys. I'm just here for information and fellowship.

Thanks! With the volume of Model 3's going through there it's even more crowded now. They need a better space.

My delivery was over a year ago, so things may be different now. I drove my car before I took delivery and really looked it over. The dealership lot is too small and parking is tight. The service folks are nice.

I hope your delivery goes smoothly.

Sorry buddy, but the only attitude I see in this thread is from you, not the OP. If you actually responded in this thread the way you said your wife presented herself in the dealership perhaps you would actually contribute something of value. Bashing the OP and telling him to go to other brands is exactly why this forum is characterized as being overrun by fanboys. I'm just here for information and fellowship.

Sorry Pal, I don't have respect for people that attack someone who isn't present to give their side of the story. I have had plenty of interactions with Tesla over many years and have little doubt the OP just wants their ass kissed. this isn't specific to Tesla, rarely if ever have I experienced rude or indifferent treatment from any employee/company regardless of product. Tesla for some reason has been put in a position of expectations that no other company seems to be held to.

If the OP has a problem with Tesla, go talk to them directly. I doubt it's a coincidence that they feel like they got blown off by multiple Tesla employees. That's like someone having 10 divorces but it's always the spouses fault.

I like your passive aggressive use of "fanboy", explain to me what that adds to the conversation ? I told the OP to let the $ talk, go to a different brand. It's a win win, they may find someone there to kiss their ass and we won't have to listen to them bitch and complain about everything much longer. it's all about perspective, I feel the forums have been over run by a bunch of whiny little bitches with ridiculous expectations and an attitude that if they were in charge Tesla would be flawless. Please.

Tesla and their employees are human, mistakes will be made just like every other company. Only difference here is who understands this and how they react to it.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA