Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model Y high pitch whining sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery Saturday of a 2022 Model Y Performance, and I have the sound, most prominently between 40mph-65mph. I took it to a service center today, and as soon as I dropped it off, they started with the "you just don't know what sounds it's supposed to make". Within 2 hours of dropping it off, they marked it as ready for pickup and noted that "noise is normal". Not sure how I get them to actually assess the issue and look into the perimeter seal.
I took my delivery on 08/04 and finding same issue on MYLR. Ticket has been created with a hope to get this annoying sound fixed. I have another problem too. The Car came with older version of software 2022.15.105. Whereas the latest one is 2022.20.7. Service team said that they are trying to fix it over air but seems a hardware failure.

Last edited:
The Car came with older version of software 2022.15.105. Whereas the latest one is 2022.20.7. Service team said that they are trying to fix it over air but seems a hardware failure.
That is the currently delivery software. It's always funny when a service tech has no idea of what they are saying. You can be on delivery build for up to 4 weeks before you get updates.

That's ridiculous. This means I will not be able to use updated features for a month or so.
That's Tesla. It's always been that way.

Just wait until you later...Sometimes you'll go months without the newest update. Tesla releases in batches by car/region.

You shouldn't pay such close attention to releases, otherwise you will obsess over them. Complaining or putting in service request typically creates confusion like you have now. Just relax, when you get it, you get it...some of the releases actually take great things away like Boombox or certain games.

Also, there's so few cars that you even get OTAs and new features, but people still complain when they have to wait weeks or even a month to get the newest version.

That's Tesla. It's always been that way.

Just wait until you later...Sometimes you'll go months without the newest update. Tesla releases in batches by car/region.

You shouldn't pay such close attention to releases, otherwise you will obsess over them. Complaining or putting in service request typically creates confusion like you have now. Just relax, when you get it, you get it...some of the releases actually take great things away like Boombox or certain games.

Also, there's so few cars that you even get OTAs and new features, but people still complain when they have to wait weeks or even a month to get the newest version.
All that is fine, but its disappointing to see that such an expensive car is having this basic problem. How much time it would have taken for them to upload the latest version of S/W. Anyway.. in any case, I'm visiting them in person on 20th. So hope they will take care of it at service center.

All that is fine, but its disappointing to see that such an expensive car is having this basic problem. How much time it would have taken for them to upload the latest version of S/W. Anyway.. in any case, I'm visiting them in person on 20th. So hope they will take care of it at service center.
They typically "cannot"...really they refuse. There's been some that get it pushed, but most report that they get the car checked and they say "You are on the latest firmware', which is actually true for new deliveries.

It's not a problem, it's intended. It's stable, good build that is mostly bug free. Many of the new releases have terrible bugs and they don't want new users to get those.

Reactions: AnujT
They typically "cannot"...really they refuse. There's been some that get it pushed, but most report that they get the car checked and they say "You are on the latest firmware', which is actually true for new deliveries.

It's not a problem, it's intended. It's stable, good build that is mostly bug free. Many of the new releases have terrible bugs and they don't want new users to get those.
Good point .. it makes sense.

I can record one but it sounds identical to the sounds in the video Andy Slye posted to Youtube at

Sound on his starts at 9:19
The usb stick tesla provides works great save your $$$ . The tesla usb used micronSD memory which is used in devices that need to write often. It also has an impressive temperature operational range. USB 3.1 Flash Drive BAR Plus 128GB Titan Gray Memory & Storage - MUF-128BE4/AM | Samsung US

In recent car software there was a bug which prevented usb devices (all) from being recognized. Wait till you get 2022.20.X , that’s when USB ports began working well again.

Have two 2022 MYLR made in January and July this year. Firs was fine, the second one has high pitched noise during acceleration usually more pronounced at 45-60 mph, same as Andy Slye showed in his video. It's annoying. Didn't request service yet, but this is NOT normal. Never had noise issue before with four BMW i3 over the years. Also driven two Ford Mach-e, which had a similar sound but it's changing tone with car's speed, so that's normal. Tesla obviously did something and rear motor became less insulated or else, that's not normal.

I can record one but it sounds identical to the sounds in the video Andy Slye posted to Youtube at

Sound on his starts at 9:19

Have two 2022 MYLR made in January and July this year. Firs was fine, the second one has high pitched noise during acceleration usually more pronounced at 45-60 mph, same as Andy Slye showed in his video. It's annoying. Didn't request service yet, but this is NOT normal. Never had noise issue before with four BMW i3 over the years. Also driven two Ford Mach-e, which had a similar sound but it's changing tone with car's speed, so that's normal. Tesla obviously did something and rear motor became less insulated or else, that's not normal.
The sound coming from the rear motor is not normal. My MYP even in Sport mode doesn’t sound like this nor is it loud enough to be captured on camera.

Almost sounds like the nose cone Model S that has the infamous rear motor bearing issue.