Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New models now include trim pieces under frunk lid for wind noise reduction/deflection(?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PNWLeccy

Jul 11, 2019
Denver
I just saw a post from a German Instagram account that shows that on newer models (post was from 11/5/21) trim pieces have been added under the trunk lid, closest to the windshield to help reduce wind turbulence noise. I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else nor have I seen any noise measurements showing any improvement in wind noise but seems like it could help.

Note: since it is a german account, this is likely only available on MiC models for now until it makes it to North American models.
GbkocDvVloIUgIR1xhDWMhysc5AZn2s3-lrcsz796vJ9ilQkMRDxN7HoTcXll8qQIL5AbeqXrxNCRvr0KWxaVz-MRv0nHrCOHXYepVyfHDb8VY17_qpH_x7AeQCLJ95nkVEG9oFqA842yvC60XdnmwKIvyztEtdLlLAKtkKBnoGX6m51qHnZfiPaApH1G3QTuYzQ--H-NyVIar8Rke-DX_qA6RKbcjN3EA6gwph43CkgvRuEUqyEXF0j_WtDHr-3ho_QH6NdupWaY3UDZNQryHf2Yh_kcZpyEzxMk_OWQaJ71JmSu3w4cswzPyccianbU64eK2QJsc4HH9Vf77qeElbSq29RP5UDZAeHZyH8x2qRfoKQNdhVam6wVO2g4FmdQqA_wHDkvcnHEFElKXJk7M-ZrbG7FnTwlXzm3pJoTS8SJckfzD_P5bk8yLrzpVpevfLY9d7FJVUFvQJBqxfGha-0twUR7x7U-XRrWD0jeAY3qQvUmFA81F1l1xLqMXG2iRxpMetDDZ1kVU2xqme5rFJKdkhZBICk1dfucd4yyAhbf9Zd3kD-OWuqXyNt7LMHYlKqQpP0NlbaYZey-YcbEneLHeC26hhbnx2MOAuLAFNY7T8a9cNFdB_aVmDSmzR3bjTfnfKVluWLj_yhj5D9pqd9PMByKGDLKTMoBSnwxMmNcmlGbYkOZLvf7bf48gxtorVjzkNnIKo4_jqDhrXz9LhMEA=w614-h1329-no

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
It looks like these trim pieces were added a few months ago. It's probably hard to measure the impact of this on any wind noise reduction compared to older model 3's since multiple other noise reduction improvements have been made (additional sound insulation, double pane glass, etc.).

Does anyone who has this trim feel like wind noise from the front area has been substantially reduced? I'd gladly add these if it made an impact since I've tried so many other small things to help with wind noise.

It looks like these trim pieces were added a few months ago. It's probably hard to measure the impact of this on any wind noise reduction compared to older model 3's since multiple other noise reduction improvements have been made (additional sound insulation, double pane glass, etc.).

Does anyone who has this trim feel like wind noise from the front area has been substantially reduced? I'd gladly add these if it made an impact since I've tried so many other small things to help with wind noise.
I am not sure. I briefly had a late 2018 rental and that was definitely louder than my 2021, but as you stated that could be due to a myriad of other factors/improvements.