Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New, more advanced version of rear lighted T for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@artsci : I'm assuming that the hole is only for routing the power wire(s) into the trunk lid, yes? And that the T logo is affixed to the trunk lid using some sort of adhesive? If Yes to both, then is there room on the back of the T logo directly over the hole that allows inserting a rubber grommet in the trunk lid? If I'm going to drill a hole in the lid, I would paint (primer) the edges of the hole and put in a grommet so the wire(s) don't scrape against bare metal.

Asked another way, do you have a photo of where the wire(s) exit the back side of the logo?

@artsci : I'm assuming that the hole is only for routing the power wire(s) into the trunk lid, yes? And that the T logo is affixed to the trunk lid using some sort of adhesive? If Yes to both, then is there room on the back of the T logo directly over the hole that allows inserting a rubber grommet in the trunk lid? If I'm going to drill a hole in the lid, I would paint (primer) the edges of the hole and put in a grommet so the wire(s) don't scrape against bare metal.

Asked another way, do you have a photo of where the wire(s) exit the back side of the logo?

Yes to both questions. Based on my experience, a grommet is not necessary to protect the wire. A dab of Goop or other silicone sealant does the trick. I don't have the photo you want but the wire is very easy to reach once the T is in place. I sure Evannex will provide detailed installation instructions, including photos and a video.

The T has double sided tape on the back mounting.

Hey. Nice work on this logo. Looks great. However, I do have one comment/concern.

Perhaps it's just an optical illusion from the video, but it looks like the top curved bar is a little too thick and out of proportion with the rest of the logo. If I took at all the official Telsa T logos, that top bar is considerably more narrow in height (skinnier) when compared to the main horizontally curved section of the T logo. Below is an image of the Tesla logo for quick reference. As you can see, that top bar section is definitely more narrow (skinnier) than the bar beneath it.

Hope I'm just seeing things incorrectly in your video. However, there is one part of the video where we get a pretty clear view of the logo from a side angle, and from that angle it seems to support my concern.

Sorry if this sounds nick-picky, but if I'm going to drill a hole in my vehicle to install & enjoy this lighted logo, I want it to have the correct proportions. I don't care about the cost. If it looks good/correct, I'm probably going to buy one.

Tesla Logo.JPG

There are slight differences in the width of the arch over the T owing to the COB LED technology and ability to manage manufacturing of small sizes. But even Tesla has changed the width of that arch. At first it was noticeably thinner.

In this lighted version it would take an eagle eye to notice the difference. Evidently you're that eagle eye:) Most other people wouldn't even notice.

There are slight differences in the width of the arch over the T owing to the COB LED technology and ability to manage manufacturing of small sizes. But even Tesla has changed the width of that arch. At first it was noticeably thinner.

In this lighted version it would take an eagle eye to notice the difference. Evidently you're that eagle eye:) Most other people wouldn't even notice.

Thanks for the quick reply & confirmation. Yeah, I'm just a tad bit OCD in that regard... :D

There are two wiring options. One is easy. 12v lead taps the license plate lamp wiring, ground taps any reliable ground source. The T lights a steady brightness whenever the license plate is lighted. The other more difficult taps both the license plate lamp circuit and the brake circuit, so the T lights brighter when the brakes are applied. This requires routing a wire through the rubber tube between the car body and trunk lid.

So it looks like there are two brightness's ?

If doing the simple install (without tapping the brake circuit) : Are you able to choose which of the two brightness you want ?

Or is it all predetermined, so you only get the extra brightness if connected to both circuits ?

So it looks like there are two brightness's ?

If doing the simple install (without tapping the brake circuit) : Are you able to choose which of the two brightness you want ?

Or is it all predetermined, so you only get the extra brightness if connected to both circuits ?

There's a special wiring module provided that includes a resistor in the license plate side of the circuit and no resistor in the brake side. If you connect the side of the line with no resistor to the license plate lamp circuit, you'd get full brightness at all times.

There's a special wiring module provided that includes a resistor in the license plate side of the circuit and no resistor in the brake side. If you connect the side of the line with no resistor to the license plate lamp circuit, you'd get full brightness at all times.

My 3 is Red , so (I am only guessing) it would be better to go full brightness , to get the better color contrast ?

Also, Roughly how much extra time , does it take to connect to both circuits (as compared to license plate only) ?

Last year, I was quoted a price for install, but that was to the license plate only.