Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Mountain Pass Performance (MPP) Comfort Coilovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like MPP has introduced a new suspension kit (Comfort Coilovers for Tesla Model Y) for the MY to focus on comfort even more so than their previous coilovers (Comfort Adjustable Coilovers for Tesla Model Y). To the experts out there, based on the description do we think these are a big change from the older, more adjustable kit? How do we think this new kit compares to the specs of the other premium and well-liked kits such as the Redwood Ohlins and Teins?

Difficult question to answer without driving and riding on this setup. Main question is what are you looking for in your driving dynamics the stock setup fulfills or doesnt? Most MY owners tend to want a softer setup damping all the imperfections of the road.

Personally, I don't mind the stock suspension, I do have a specific purpose towards predictability and cornering control. My setup consist of Ohlins R&T (None Redwood version, more aggressive) with supporting suspension parts aimed for maximum street performance.

Difficult question to answer without driving and riding on this setup. Main question is what are you looking for in your driving dynamics the stock setup fulfills or doesnt? Most MY owners tend to want a softer setup damping all the imperfections of the road.

Personally, I don't mind the stock suspension, I do have a specific purpose towards predictability and cornering control. My setup consist of Ohlins R&T (None Redwood version, more aggressive) with supporting suspension parts aimed for maximum street performance.
Yeah I realize it's hard to answer without trying them, but was hoping if anyone with general suspension experience had any insight just from the description on their website (like it seems to be made of a different material not stainless steel, etc). Also, it says these new ones are even softer than the softest setting of their adjustable version, but I recall other threads here mention going softer isn't always going to yield a more comfortable ride (less harsh, but bounces lasting longer).

I'm looking for what you mentioned: softer damping of the imperfections in the road. I realize it's not going to eliminate them. This is our family car and the family is looking for a smoother ride.

Reactions: hyp36rmax
Comfort Non-Adjustable
  • zinc-plated steel
  • dampers are tuned for maximum comfort with handling roughly equal to stock
  • height adjustable
Comfort Adjustable
  • stainless steel
  • compression and rebound adjustable dampers - they can be set stiffer than the non-adjustable kit
  • height adjustable
The most important differences would be the material (stainless steel is much more corrosion resistant) and the adjustability. If you don't live somewhere with harsh winters and you don't care about stiffening the suspension for handling, it seems to be a no-brainer to get the Non-Adjustable kit.

Yes predictability is crucial for any suspension. i want to know what will happen to the car in various circumstances, i want ot feel the road enough to understand my next move. Stock My dynamics is floaty for all the trims. Not fun for me. easily correctable.

Comfort Non-Adjustable
  • zinc-plated steel
  • dampers are tuned for maximum comfort with handling roughly equal to stock
  • height adjustable
Comfort Adjustable
  • stainless steel
  • compression and rebound adjustable dampers - they can be set stiffer than the non-adjustable kit
  • height adjustable
The most important differences would be the material (stainless steel is much more corrosion resistant) and the adjustability. If you don't live somewhere with harsh winters and you don't care about stiffening the suspension for handling, it seems to be a no-brainer to get the Non-Adjustable kit.
Haha, this is definitely copy and pasted straight from one of my emails, I recognize my own writing!

Yeah I realize it's hard to answer without trying them, but was hoping if anyone with general suspension experience had any insight just from the description on their website (like it seems to be made of a different material not stainless steel, etc). Also, it says these new ones are even softer than the softest setting of their adjustable version, but I recall other threads here mention going softer isn't always going to yield a more comfortable ride (less harsh, but bounces lasting longer).

I'm looking for what you mentioned: softer damping of the imperfections in the road. I realize it's not going to eliminate them. This is our family car and the family is looking for a smoother ride.

Buy 2023 comfort suspension from Tesla. It’s way cheaper and makes the car more comfortable. Add in some thicker sidewall tires and it’s even better.

Reactions: RAMPAGE18
It's hard for us to know exactly what Tesla changed on the 2023 comfort suspension, but from the information we've seen it appears to be more the top mounts rather than the dampers.

We'll wait for those with 2023's who try our kit to provide unbiased feedback!

So far the reviews coming in from those who have received the first kits (we've had four go out so far) have been really positive, including one comparison to another coilover competitor. So we're really optimistic that this kit will be a great solution.

Of course, it doesn't solve everything - like others said, softer tires, and lower pressures will make a big difference on the things dampers cannot absorb - the steps in the road and sharp bumps, which rely on the tires and bushings to absorb shock and noise.

Reactions: rolling green