Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Mountain Pass Performance (MPP) Comfort Coilovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2021 MYLR, dual motor, now at 48k miles. I have 38k miles on my MPP comfort Coilovers, residing in the DFW region with horrible heaving concrete slabs, exposed aggregate concrete. The most luxurious cars bounce, almost going airborne on some uneven slabs.

I have mine set on: F: 14/11, R: 12/10. (compression/rebound). I keep the rear more firm for the times I carry a load of passengers and or...stuff...

Since this setup lowers the car about .5 inch, I expected a continued compromise between comfort and performance. I'm happy with the compromise. A fellow DFW resident, a member in this forum, rode in the car last week and was impressed by the comfort, which he said was considerably more comfortable than his 2023 MY Performance on 21"s. I'm on 19".

2021 MYLR, dual motor, now at 48k miles. I have 38k miles on my MPP comfort Coilovers, residing in the DFW region with horrible heaving concrete slabs, exposed aggregate concrete. The most luxurious cars bounce, almost going airborne on some uneven slabs.

I have mine set on: F: 14/11, R: 12/10. (compression/rebound). I keep the rear more firm for the times I carry a load of passengers and or...stuff...

Since this setup lowers the car about .5 inch, I expected a continued compromise between comfort and performance. I'm happy with the compromise. A fellow DFW resident, a member in this forum, rode in the car last week and was impressed by the comfort, which he said was considerably more comfortable than his 2023 MY Performance on 21"s. I'm on 19".
So from stock it was only .5” drop from total ride height?

@MountainPass maybe you can chime in please?

I’m also debating whether to non adj or adj. I have a 23 MYP that is a daily driver. I already have a lightweight wheel / tire combo. I don’t want lower the car drastically as freeways and streets in So Cal are horrible
SoCal roads are not THAT bad. I will say steep parking garage ramps and higher speed bumps in some locations can be problematic. Angled attacks for those are a thing haha.

BIG thanks to @MountainPass for the great product and a quicker delivery than expected!! Happy to be driving a more stable and comfortable model y.. I know some people are pushing 23 MYLR comfort as the something great but compared to my wife’s 2022 RDX its still feels like a bumpy go cart w too much suspension noise.. Initial Impressions - less dive w acceleration and breaking, more stable with Boosted power on turns and straights.. less jittery and bouncy.. seems to take bigger bumps better.. I expect it will take a little time to settle and soften up more. I am happy with the upgrade!.. We only lowered it about 1/2 in to avoid rear camber arms, but may go lower later… special thanks to TheDriveway in San Jose for a great install experience as they know mountain pass products.. one stop shop…. BTW I read everything here and spoke w ZEV, EAS,UP and this seemed to be the best price point for a no brainer upgrade.. I will update more as I get more miles on it.. today is the Tesla mobile install of the spoiler for 550$ .. and I will be done.. may be.. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0916.jpeg
    IMG_0916.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0915.jpeg
    IMG_0915.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0914.jpeg
    IMG_0914.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0913.jpeg
    IMG_0913.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 71
BIG thanks to @MountainPass for the great product and a quicker delivery than expected!! Happy to be driving a more stable and comfortable model y.. I know some people are pushing 23 MYLR comfort as the something great but compared to my wife’s 2022 RDX its still feels like a bumpy go cart w too much suspension noise.. Initial Impressions - less dive w acceleration and breaking, more stable with Boosted power on turns and straights.. less jittery and bouncy.. seems to take bigger bumps better.. I expect it will take a little time to settle and soften up more. I am happy with the upgrade!.. We only lowered it about 1/2 in to avoid rear camber arms, but may go lower later… special thanks to TheDriveway in San Jose for a great install experience as they know mountain pass products.. one stop shop…. BTW I read everything here and spoke w ZEV, EAS,UP and this seemed to be the best price point for a no brainer upgrade.. I will update more as I get more miles on it.. today is the Tesla mobile install of the spoiler for 550$ .. and I will be done.. may be.. :)
Congrats! You basically laid out all the factory issues with stock suspension. I'll be the one to say this, stock MY suspension SUCKS for comfort, performance, and drivability. Most people generally won't realize this unless they're shown what a proper setup is capable of. I highly recommend a local autocross as a means to get to know your car even in stock form. i've learned defensive manuevers from other drivers, it's not all about sport.

You'll unlock more potential with rear camber and toe arms. You'll be able to dial in camber to accomodate more of your rear tires surface area, should help on acceleration and coming out of a corner safely. Lowering a bit more can help in range as an added benefit.

Congrats on the install man! Just wanted to ask, I am assuming this is the MPP Non-Adjustable Coilover Kit correct? The $1600 one?

Yeah.. I ordered the new non adjustable set up for 1600$ and I dont care about tracking etc. It feels like it should have from the factory. I was able to take it above SillyCon Valley this am and it did really wall on the twisty mountain roads at a few ticks above the speed limit.. I used to drive a TM3RWD w T sport line springs and back in the day a BMW M3 w Dinan SUSP and I am good with this as a daily and definitely impressed

Reactions: tom @ eas
Can I move my set of coil overs from a model 3 to a y? any differences in springs?
I am glad you asked! The damper dimensions are different, the damper valving is different, the spring rates are different and the spring shapes are different. They are not compatible at all. If they were that would have saved us a lot of time when the Y came out!

My new MYP sits higher on the passenger side by 5mm and the rear is 5mm lower than the front with no one in the car. I want to even out the battery clearance and keep the stock ride height with me in the car. Looking for comfort and nvh over all our performance

My new MYP sits higher on the passenger side by 5mm and the rear is 5mm lower than the front with no one in the car. I want to even out the battery clearance and keep the stock ride height with me in the car. Looking for comfort and nvh over all our performance
You can do that with the less-expensive Comfort Coilovers for Tesla Model Y. They are height adjustable and tuned for comfort, so unless you're looking for the ability to stiffen things further or the corrosion resistance of stainless steel, this kit would make the most sense.