Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New MS 75D- fender/bender- repair or replace the hood?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks- looking for some sage advice. My 4 day old MS 75D was involved in a low speed parking lot accident- basically another driver backed into my MS that was rear in parked. The other driver's insurance will likely cover the repair costs- we're still working out the details. In talking with two Tesla approved body shops, they've both given me two options to address the hood-

Option 1 "repair"- Due to the "relatively" minor crease in the aluminium hood, they would strip the paint around the crease, flatten the crease, and repaint/feather the area to the rest of the hood. The hood appears OK from an alignment standpoint. Pro- This would isolate the paint to primarily the creased area- aka- only the hood. Less expensive as its repair work/labor (could be moot due to insurance). Con- assumes the shop is competent in removing the crease, and potential aluminum fatigue.

Option 2 "replace"- Outright replace the whole hood (cause it's insurance, ya know). Pro- hood is absolutely pristine (the car is brand new) and without any possible metal fatigue and distortions. Con- the shop will need to paint the entire hood, and then feather the paint to the quarter panels to insure a match.

I see benefits/issues to either approach. Any thoughts for what might make more sense?

Attachments

• 20161004_211306.jpg
    20161004_211306.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 117
  • 20161004_211254.jpg
    20161004_211254.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 81
I would straighten the hood then repaint the entire hood. This does not warrant a new hood and you could be waiting weeks for delivery of one. Feathering paint is never a for sure thing. Oxidation, sunlight can down the road affect the appearance at different rates.

I'd replace it. Wasn't your fault, you shouldn't be paying for it, and I'd want a pristine part. Its going to need paint either way and a good shop should be able to make it match regardless. Any concerns about the paint aging differently will be applicable to both the repair or replace.