TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

New MS 75D- fender/bender- repair or replace the hood?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by nikkorbot, Oct 4, 2016.

1. nikkorbot

nikkorbot New Member

Sep 28, 2016
    Bellevue, WA
    Folks- looking for some sage advice. My 4 day old MS 75D was involved in a low speed parking lot accident- basically another driver backed into my MS that was rear in parked. The other driver's insurance will likely cover the repair costs- we're still working out the details. In talking with two Tesla approved body shops, they've both given me two options to address the hood-

Option 1 "repair"- Due to the "relatively" minor crease in the aluminium hood, they would strip the paint around the crease, flatten the crease, and repaint/feather the area to the rest of the hood. The hood appears OK from an alignment standpoint. Pro- This would isolate the paint to primarily the creased area- aka- only the hood. Less expensive as its repair work/labor (could be moot due to insurance). Con- assumes the shop is competent in removing the crease, and potential aluminum fatigue.

Option 2 "replace"- Outright replace the whole hood (cause it's insurance, ya know). Pro- hood is absolutely pristine (the car is brand new) and without any possible metal fatigue and distortions. Con- the shop will need to paint the entire hood, and then feather the paint to the quarter panels to insure a match.

I see benefits/issues to either approach. Any thoughts for what might make more sense?

Attached Files:

2. Tdriver

Tdriver Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Palm Desert, CA
    I would straighten the hood then repaint the entire hood. This does not warrant a new hood and you could be waiting weeks for delivery of one. Feathering paint is never a for sure thing. Oxidation, sunlight can down the road affect the appearance at different rates.
  3. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

Apr 10, 2014
    I'd replace it. Wasn't your fault, you shouldn't be paying for it, and I'd want a pristine part. Its going to need paint either way and a good shop should be able to make it match regardless. Any concerns about the paint aging differently will be applicable to both the repair or replace.