Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New MS, old Wife

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm expecting my MS in the next couple of weeks, my first EV. I have been on the M3 list since day 1 (and am still there) but a 24-hour test drive on the MS sold me. I took a decent day-trip with 3 of my sons.

My concern is my wife. For reasons I don't think I'll ever understand, she thinks a car is something used to get from Point A to Point B (I know, right? It's the JOURNEY). She casually walked by the 24-hour test drive car but did not ride in it. Her comments? "It's pretty.". <sigh> :eek:

I already am thinking that I want to create a profile for her that will have "low" regen on, to feel more like a regular car, at least to start. And with the SAS, set the "home" profile to "very high" to make it easy to get in/out. Maybe even create an "exit" profile. But she could care less about computers, gadgets, and so on. She has her own car (6-speed Outback) but I hope to make this our "trip car" - so she will have some seat miles.

Trading in the wife is not an option. After all, she lives with me and let me buy a MS! That's pretty darn rare.

Anything else I can do to help ease the transition? I want to make this as painless as possible - a custom "home screen" with my most-used options by user-profile would be nice!

Thanks in advance!

Hi, it's been a while and was wondering how the wife and car are doing together. I have to say that in the meantime I now generally prefer to take our MS over my Avalon. In fact needed to get a AAA jump on its battery after apparently not using it enough. Had been away for a few days and the battery is kind of old but I just rather take the MS out. Of course now the MS isn't able to jump the Avalon battery so that's kind of an inconvenience! Drove it part way recently on our trip when we went on a short vacation and was sold on how it handled on the 7% grade. Love how it hugs the road going into turns and even love the acceleration coming out of them. So I'm having fun and hope your wife is too.

I love it, using it at every opportunity. The wife, well she's just OK. She's not impressed with auto steer - but doesn't even use cruise on her car. And she is yet to fly solo but is more than happy to help out on longer trips. We're in Baltimore this weekend with the car - the position of the super chargers caused us to take a different route from Ohio and she wasn't happy about that. The PA turnpike meant one SC stop - our preferred southerly route would have meant two. But with the higher speed limits, the highway robbery of PA turnpike tolls, bad roads, and construction make a 2nd stop a small price to pay.

Overall, she likes it. I think she is still afraid of putting a scratch on it though - hence her hesitancy to use it locally. But she (and the car) are definitely keepers!