Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 MY LR - Wife wants to drive the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have had the MY about 2.5 weeks now and my wife decided that she is ready to take it out in the wild on her own. Prior to her going out on her own, she drove it with me in the passengers seat. I think that she set the mirror and seat settings. I put my phone and wallet in the house as not to confuse the car when she got in the drivers seat. On the screen where it displays the user name, it showed my name. On my Tesla app, it does show her as the other driver. Why didn't it change to her profile? Why didn't the saved seat and mirror settings from her previous drive get activated? Maybe we screwed up the whole process. What would be the best way to test this?

You can tap the name to change the profile manually. You have to link each key/phone to a profile before it will automatically switch. In the key settings page tap the little person icon next to the desired key to link it to the current active profile.
Can you elaborate a bit more please? What is the key settings page? I did click on my profile name and saw "Refer and Earn", "Account", "Settings" ,etc... Under Account, I can see Tesla Profile and all I can do there is a reset. Under "Account", I can see "Contact Info", Wallet", "Order History" , etc... I don't see any link to a profile.

@foxwiz5262 - if you know what's good for you, you'll nip this in the bud right now. Once she starts taking it out on her own, she'll have no more use for you. LOL.

In the car, go to the "locks" screen. At the phone keys, you need to associate them with your driver profiles. You do this by pressing the person icon next to the phone key that belongs to the current driver.

So... set it to your profile, hit the person icon next to your phone key. Then set it to her driver profile and press the person icon on her phone key. Finally, decide who will drive each time you get in together and set their phone key as "priority"... this solves the issue of getting in together.

Then just walk in and drive away... you, her or both of you together.

Congrats on the best car!

Can you elaborate a bit more please? What is the key settings page? I did click on my profile name and saw "Refer and Earn", "Account", "Settings" ,etc... Under Account, I can see Tesla Profile and all I can do there is a reset. Under "Account", I can see "Contact Info", Wallet", "Order History" , etc... I don't see any link to a profile.
It has to be done inside the car. Hit the car icon on the bottom left, then goto the door locks/keys section.

Sorry that I wasn't clear in my previous message. I did follow what you posted in your in response from 4:58PM. I went into the car and made sure that the settings were correct for the both of us. I think that when we picked up the car, the names were not registered with the phone key. Thank you for that information.
To clarify. There are two distinct things you are working with. Driver profiles (where the car remembers settings based on a drivers name), and using various "keys" to unlock the car (typically your phone, or a Card Key). What you need to do here is join the dots between a key to lock/unlock the car (you or your Wife's phone), and one of the (named) driver profiles. That way, when that key (persons phone) is used to unlock the car, it will automatically choose a profile. To do this, first choose a driver profile as usual, then go to Control > Locks > Keys, look for the appropriate key in the list of phones and card keys (or phone) and tap the little driver icon to link that key (phone) to the current driver profile. Repeat this for each profile/key pair you want to connect. You should see the linked profile shown for each linked key.

2023-09-0519.52.488634532465167154791.jpg

That "person" icon indicates that a key is associated with a given driver profile.

Your various keys (phone and card) won't switch to a given profile unless you "attach" it to the profile.

You do that by switching to the desired driver profile, then visiting the "Lock" screen above and pressing the person icon on each of *your* keys. Then switch to your wifes driver profile and hit the person icon on her keys. Presto... when either of you unlock the car it'll switch to your profile.

The last piece is to go into Bluetooth devices on the bottom bar... the blue icon. Go to "Connect Device" or whatever and it'll list all of your phones. Switch yours (or hers) to "priority"... whoever has priority will be considered the driver when both devices are present.