Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New MY, 150 miles... screw in front driver tire thread.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my car Tuesday 3/30.

Picked up small screw in front driver tire, pressure dropped to 27 PSI and held. No idea if it happened today, or has been slowly leaking over the last few days.

Luckily was close to home, arranged Tesla Tire Repair through roadside assistance... was told they'd be in the area tomorrow...

Reactions: Missile Toad

Picked up small screw in front driver tire, pressure dropped to 27 PSI and held. No idea if it happened today, or has been slowly leaking over the last few days.

Luckily was close to home, arranged Tesla Tire Repair through roadside assistance... was told they'd be in the area tomorrow...
If the vehicle is driveable (sound like it is) you can add air to the tire and drive to a local tire shop so the tire can be repaired. No need to involve Tesla Mobile Service or Tesla Roadside Assistance as they will charge you for the repair. Tesla Roadside Assistance may bring you a temporary replacement wheel (assuming one is available for your size wheels). Then you would have to take the original wheel/tire to a repair shop to have the tire repaired. You would need to return the loaner wheel to Tesla within 3 days else you bought the wheel.

Note: If you take the Tesla to a tire shop confirm that the shop is familiar with the lifting points that must be used when jacking up or lifting a Tesla vehicle. The Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual clearly shows where the 4 lift points are located. Improper lifting of a Tesla vehicle will damage the Tesla vehicle frame and the battery pack housing.

Last edited:
Took it to Les Schwab to see the estimate and if repairable. 1 hour wait, will update when I know more. If they cant repair I'll wait for what Tesla guys say tomorrow.

Pressure held, only 8 miles from home.

Welcome to the club! Best car in the world, worst customer service on earth.

Tire shops have strict policies as to whether a puncture is repairable. If too close to the outer or inner edge they won't repair for liability reasons. If repairable a patch on the inside is the better option than a plug. The Tesla OE tires have a foam acoustic liner inside the tire underneath the tread area. Some tire shops don't want to mess with the foam liner, won't repair the tire. A good tire shop knows that all that they need to do is cut away a small section of the foam liner close to the puncture, repair the tire and then glue down the foam piece that was cut away.

Tire shops have strict policies as to whether a puncture is repairable. If too close to the outer or inner edge they won't repair for liability reasons. If repairable a patch on the inside is the better option than a plug. The Tesla OE tires have a foam acoustic liner inside the tire underneath the tread area. Some tire shops don't want to mess with the foam liner, won't repair the tire. A good tire shop knows that all that they need to do is cut away a small section of the foam liner close to the puncture, repair the tire and then glue down the foam piece that was cut away.
Yea.. all that is great.. but the dude just bought a new car in within 200 miles he/she unfortunately got a nail. Tesla roadside said “we’ll try to get there tomorrow”. That’s unacceptable. Period. I’ve come to learn that this company has very poor customer service. Honestly, they suck.

Yea.. all that is great.. but the dude just bought a new car in within 200 miles he/she unfortunately got a nail. Tesla roadside said “we’ll try to get there tomorrow”. That’s unacceptable. Period. I’ve come to learn that this company has very poor customer service. Honestly, they suck.
If you have a German brand vehicle and you get a flat tire what does the manufacturer do? If you have the roadside assistance they would send a tow vehicle. As fas as I am aware Tesla is the only auto manufacturer that even offers a service to bring you a loaner wheel.

If you have a German brand vehicle and you get a flat tire what does the manufacturer do? If you have the roadside assistance they would send a tow vehicle. As fas as I am aware Tesla is the only auto manufacturer that even offers a service to bring you a loaner wheel.

Im sure if I wasnt home, and the tire wasnt holding pressure, theyd respond differently than what I'm going through. I just feel weird having someone come mid-day on Easter Sunday to be honest...

One accessory to always carry in the Tesla vehicle is a 12V tire inflator pump. If the tire has a small leak you can add air to the tire and drive to where the tire can be repaired or replaced. Although it would be a PITA you could continue driving short distances for several days as long as you kept adding air.

There are threads on the forum on the best 12V tire inflators, battery operated pumps. Also many choose to carry a tire plug kit. Plugging a rear tire while the wheel is on the vehicle is difficult due to the limited access to the tire. Tesla sells a tire repair kit that includes a 12V inflator and a sealant. The sealant won't damage the TPMS but is messy and some tire shops won't repair a punctured tire that has sealant. In fact the sealant can be readily cleaned out with a rag or several rags so the tire can be repaired.

I carry these in addition to the Tesla tire repair kit. Victor Plug & Go Tire Repair Kit

Yea, you completely missed the point. And for what it’s worth, in my Audi or the wife’s BMW, getting a flat wasn’t an issue. The Audi has a spare donut and the BMW has run flats. My point was that they couldn’t get him mobile again without it taking a day. I’m not even sure what your basis was for comparing this to a German manufacture...
The main take away from this was that Tesla’s customer service was too stupid to make the connection that this is a new client and that they blew their opportunity to make the right “early” impression on how this company takes care (or lack there of) of their customers.
I’ve made the claim (on some other thread) that Tesla’s customer service is like going to restaurant - sometimes you get an extra excellent server - sometimes you get the stoner who can’t remember your order. Tesla’s customer service is like a fair weather friend.

Last edited:
Discount Tires aka America's Tires will patch a tire (if it's repairable) for ~$10. For $96 (for all 4), they'll give you a roadside hazard warranty, free flat repairs, and free rotations every 7k. Even if you didn't buy the tires from them. I'm planning getting their warranty if they'll work on the OEM tires.

Not sure about the foam lined OE tires but I've used them for our other cars over the years with great service.

Last edited:
Yea, you completely missed the point. And for what it’s worth, in my Audi or the wife’s BMW, getting a flat wasn’t an issue. The Audi has a spare donut and the BMW has run flats. My point was that they couldn’t get him mobile again without it taking a day. I’m not even sure what your basis was for comparing this to a German manufacture...
The main take away from this was that Tesla’s customer service was too stupid to make the connection that this is a new client and that they blew their opportunity to make the right “early” impression on how this company takes care (or lack there of) of their customers.
I’ve made the claim (on some other thread) that Tesla’s customer service is like going to restaurant - sometimes you get an extra excellent server - sometimes you get the stoner who can’t remember your order. Tesla’s customer service is like a fair weather friend.
We won't ever agree. I stated German brand, could have meant VW or Porsche. Nah, I meant Mercedes, BMW and Audi. Those are the brands that Tesla set sights on when designing the Model 3.

The OP's Tesla was never immobilized, the OP could drive the Tesla home or to a service station to add air, have the tire repaired. If the OP was unable to drive the vehicle then Roadside Assistance would have sent a loaner wheel or a flat bed to tow the vehicle. Tesla Roadside Assistance could have done more in this case.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScoobyDoo82
20210403_134213.jpg

Reactions: ScoobyDoo82
We won't ever agree. I stated German brand, could have meant VW or Porsche. Nah, I meant Mercedes, BMW and Audi. Those are the brands that Tesla set sights on when designing the Model 3.

The OP's Tesla was never immobilized, the OP could drive the Tesla home or to a service station to add air, have the tire repaired. If the OP was unable to drive the vehicle then Roadside Assistance would have sent a loaner wheel or a flat bed to tow the vehicle. Tesla Roadside Assistance could have done more in this case.
I agree with the above.

But I don’t share your opinion about the Mach E. Doesn’t mean “we will never agree” buddy!
However, if and when I do not agree with you, I still show you respect by not plastering the “disagree” tag on your posts. A curtesy that you have yet to extend to me. That’s just plain rude (and a tad passive-aggressive, but that tends to be the norm on the Internet these days).

Truce?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jjrss
I carry a tire plug kit, and since most nails and screws puncture the tread area, these work great for most repairs. You don't even have to remove the tire. Just pump up tire at any service station on your way, thread tire repair rope plug through insertion tool (looks like a large needle eye), pull the screw and punch the plug into the tire. It works fine even with inner lining of foam, and I've had plugs last over 40,000 miles, as long as the tire. Might cost you <$20 for a dozen plugs (If you cut them in half). No waiting for a truck to come get you. I do carry a small air pump for the times I need more air, but I haven't plugged a tire in thirty years.