Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New MYP vs used 2021.5 MS LR

Better buy?

• MYP

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • 2021.5 MS LR

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Use case: mostly light city driving and occasional 200-400 mile round trips (3-5 a year). Transporting 2 small kids to school but with out much stuff (wife has SUV if we take road trips or go places that require we bring stuff). I would qualify for tax rebate.

When considering insurance, maintenance and other misc things, which is the better buy?

New or used MYP? Why is the performance trim important for the Y but not the S?

MY and MS are very different cars, but either one would fit your needs. You should really test drive both and decide which feels better to you.

Unless you provide pricing and configuration/mileage for the S, no one can answer your question.

New or used MYP? Why is the performance trim important for the Y but not the S?

MY and MS are very different cars, but either one would fit your needs. You should really test drive both and decide which feels better to you.

Unless you provide pricing and configuration/mileage for the S, no one can answer your question.
I figured for new vs used, I was more concerned with total price including rebates or incentives, budget like $45-50k. Figured with financing and credits, a new MYP would be potentially worth it over a lightly used one that has say 30k on it.

As for other reasons, the driving speeds/acceleration seemed similar, and the updated 21 has a similar internal feel vs older generation of s.

I could post a specific car for each scenario, but I haven't looked at insurance yet or 5yr TCO. Something I can do tonight.

I’ll bet that once you drive both cars, you’ll decide you prefer one over the other and you’ll figure out how to pay for it. We have both an S (my third one) and MYP (my wife’s car), and previously had a 3 MR. We use the S for longer trips and the Y for local driving.

Here's the numbers I'm currently working off.

2024 MYP - Total cash cost $55,630 (not including rebates)
5yr TCO - $71,800

2021.5 MSLR - list price $53,700 (25k miles) -> assuming negotiations + tax, delivery, etc = $56,000
5yr TCO - $72,600

So, numbers wise it feels very similar. These are just estimates using Edmunds, Tesla website and prices of used cars. Open to 2022 MS as well but I figured the updated '21 could be a touch cheaper on list price plus insurance.